Titebond Molding and Trim Glue Review

Review by pashley posted 179 days ago 2417 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Titebond Molding and Trim Glue Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m a bit of a glue geek; for me, one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to glue. My usual go-to glue is Titebond Original. It’s strong, cheap, and just works great.

But a few weeks ago, I heard about Titebond Molding and Trim Glue, and thought I could put it to use in the right application.

The primary advantage of Titebond Molding and Trim Glue is that it doesn’t run. You have to make sure you put enough glue on a joint, but with ordinary yellow glue, that often means squeeze out, which usually means runs. Runs, of course, means you have to clean it up, and even if you catch it quick, there is a risk of messing up your finish. If you can avoid runs, you should. With Titebond Molding and Trim Glue, you don’t get a run. You can of course, get squeeze out, but it essentially oozes out of the joint, and forms a bead, or string, of glue. A few minutes later, you can take a tool like a chisel, and just cut it right off in a clump – no mess. Of course, if you are, for example, hanging a piece of molding under a top, the glue isn’t going to drip off.

Tack, or instant grabbing power. Sometimes you need glue to be a third hand, or to grab where a clamp just won’t work; with this glue, you just apply a moderate amount, move the two mating pieces against each other, and the glue, for lack of a better word, gels up, grabbing the piece so you can, perhaps brad it in place, or get a clamp applied. I’ve even used it in some small veneer applications. The firm grab and quick set up time don’t give the veneer time to curl or bubble up, as it unevenly draws in water from the glue. A small amount of pressure on the piece is all that is required.

For these reasons, Titebond Molding and Trim Glue is now required in my shop.

-- Have a blessed day!

View pashley's profile

pashley

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

Very interesting, I didn’t know this even existed. Thanks for the review.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Thanks for the review. Good information to know, and I’ll keep it in mind.

View unclebenny's profile

unclebenny

I also use it in those apps. Works great.

View Richard Hillius's profile

Richard Hillius

Can anyone compare this to hot hide glue? I love how hide glue grabs parts but having to work with it and heat it up is a pain. I am wondering if this would be a good alternative.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Nice. Can it be used outside? And do you know what the clamping time is? I sometimes use adhesive caulk but this might be better.
Steve

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

Thank you for the review. I shall have to try this when I get the chance.

View pashley's profile

pashley

Specs can be found _here.

-- Have a blessed day!

View CartersWhittling's profile

CartersWhittling

Thanks for the review. I also did not know this glue existed, but will now keep my eyes open for it.

-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

I discovered this a few years ago and totally agree with your 5 star review. The no drip/runs is a huge plus as is the quick grab. But it will also fill small gaps and dries clear. The name seems to change from “No Drip” to “Trim and Molding glue”.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View 12strings's profile

12strings

So why not use it for everything?

-- I'm strictly hand-tool only...unless the power tool is faster and easier!

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1386 posts in 1963 days

i used this too, it’s very useful and agree with the original review. i’m wondering if its dried strength is comparable to the regular stuff?

View MontanaBob's profile

MontanaBob

I’ve got some trim work coming up soon,,,,will give it try…Thanks

-- To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future

View Tom Godfrey's profile

Tom Godfrey

Its the glue for me. i have been using it for some time now and very happy with the results. The drying time is about an hour to remove clamps or straps but not sure of the complete drying time.
I liked it so much I ordered a case from home depot. Its not for outside use so keep that in mind.
Thanks for the review and my vote is for this glue.

-- Tom Godfrey Landrum South Carolina (tom@thcww.com)

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

Thanks for bringing this to my attention – I’ve purchased some and first use appears just as you describe.

Available in UK at Axminster and on Google.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

Someone asked why not use this all the time. If you look at the physical properties section of this glue and Titebond original, Titebond original is about 20% stronger. This means that the wood fails in properly glued joints 68% of the time with Titebond original, and 7% of the time with this product. So, it sounds like a great product for particular applications, but Titebond original is best for standard wood joints.