Bosch CS10 Circular Saw

Review by redSLED posted 10-14-2013 06:10 PM 4195 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch CS10 Circular Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review on Bosch’s CS10 circ. saw w.r.t. a major design flaw, IMO, that I felt was significant enough to post here, so others don’t waste their time and money on this product. So this is not an in-depth review of using the saw over a 6 month period. Basically I first chose to buy this saw because it is often on sale for $99. at a lot of big box/hardware stores, plus on a lot of carpentry website forums many have noted Bosch’s durability and reliability (almost always favourable reviews) in its ‘sidewinder’ circular and wormdrive circular saws. I also purchased the CS10 for its rubberized handle, lightweight magnesium base plate and easy access to the electrical brushes for maintenance. Some of the newer CS10/CS20 models being sold have the black ‘composite plate’ that some on other forums have complained about warping or not staying square to the blade over time – this being the reason why I went for the magnesium base plate model when it came up on sale. So, after my CS10 purchase (and return 3 hours later) plus inspecting 3 other CS10 models at 2 other stores afterward that same day (to confirm if my purchase was defective), I have noted the following design flaw that appears to be common with this circular saw model.

The flaw is the housing plastic arm that attaches to, and pivots on the baseplate (behind the bevel adjustment). The arm is too long, and its design/material allows the saw motor/housing to FLEX UNACCEPTABLY from left to right – even with light pressure either way on the handle – and this flexing gets even worse when you raise the blade vertically and lock it tight. With this serious lack of rigid squareness to the blade it will be extremely difficult to get 90 degree cuts consistently. Cutting doors and thick planks squarely is where this saw will fail. I can see how a lot of framers might keep the blade down in its lowest position all the time just to crosscut 2x wood and not really notice or be concerned with a less than perfect 90 degree cut over a short length – but for the DIY carpenter or furniture maker this saw will disappoint. In this respect I wanted to give this saw only 2 stars but thought that might be too harsh.

I find it difficult to understand how a large company like Bosch can let a design flaw like this get past their final approval before production. I am further dismayed by this, since Bosch’s left-hand side blade circular saw, the CS5, has a simpler and very stiff motor/housing pivot which gives the saw excellent square rigidity. I am neither a Bosch hater or other brand loyalist – I was just very disappointed with what appeared to be an otherwise well designed circular saw that I wanted to like initially. I didn’t want to pay more than $120 for a 7-1/4” circular saw but it looks like now I am considering either Makita’s or Milwaukee’s top models in this category – and will gladly pay more to get an excellent product.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#1 posted 10-14-2013 06:37 PM

Thanks for the review. I am in the market for a new Circular saw. I’ll definitely take your review into consideration.
I’ll probably end-up with a conventional Makita circular saw. However, I’m also toying with the idea of a Makita track saw.

View jap's profile

jap

#2 posted 10-14-2013 07:31 PM

Thanks, good to know.

-- Joel

#3 posted 10-15-2013 06:01 PM

The CS-5 is a great left-blade saw that doesn’t have the flexing problem you mention.
It is usually not on store shelves, so you have to order it.
I am not sold on all Bosch tools, but the CS-5 is a good one. Once you get a Freud blade on it…cuts like using a tablesaw.

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

#4 posted 10-16-2013 02:28 AM

^ Agreed on the Bosch CS5 – great saw, I’ve used it this past spring and summer (borrowed from a friend, but gave it back). If Bosch puts a rubberized handle and LED light and integrated blower on the CS5 next week, I will buy it instantly. I’m a little ambidextrous so switching hands on a left-blade/right-blade circ. saw is no issue for me.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

#5 posted 10-16-2013 10:25 PM

Good to know. I usually consider Bosch power tools to be lifetime tools. I would buy a Bosch Circular Saw but I’m with you. I want to be able to depend on the tool to do the job I bought it for. Next time I see one of these saws, I’ll take a close look to and see if I can confirm your findings.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!