6 inch Digital Calipers with Fractional Inches

Review by Purrmaster posted 188 days ago 2458 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
6 inch Digital Calipers with Fractional Inches No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is for item number 68304. Don’t get this confused with item 47257 which looks similar. That one displays standard and metric in decimal only.

It’s a pretty simple tool so there isn’t a lot to say. I’ve been using it for a while and it works. The display is easy to read. It can display millimeters and inches in both fractional and decimal formats. I’ve tested it against objects of known size and the readings always came out correctly. I got mine on sale and added a 20% off coupon. I haven’t discovered any flaws in my device. It also comes in a handy plastic case to keep the sawdust out (with an extra battery).

It works and it’s affordable. See if you can find it on sale and add a coupon.

Update edit: I checked the manual and the website and the accuracy of the calipers is not specified. Also, the website says the calipers have a lifetime warranty on one part and 90 days on another part. My understanding is that Pittsburgh hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I don’t know whether this is considered a hand or power tool. If you did need them replaced I’d say you could use the website as leverage for getting them replaced for free.

View sixstring's profile

sixstring

Cool. I’ve been using a GENERAL digital caliper for a while now and it’s probably nearly identical to that one. Picked mine up at Home Depot for maybe $30 but after seeing how much cheaper that Pittsburgh model was, I had to wonder if mine was any more accurate or durable. I doubt it.

I’ve only ever used these calipers so i have no idea if they lose accuracy over time or what. I see some much more expensive ones and wonder what the difference in price is all about… I mean, accurate to .001 is pretty darn good for my sloppy woodworking. It’s probably more accurate than my table saw can keep up with.

I agree that these digital calipers are very useful and necessary. I use it to check my blade alignment and height on the table saw, check mitre depths, and measuring just about anything I feel like… Cant live without it at this point.

Glad you like yours. I may pick one up as a spare with my next coupon.

-- JC Garcia, Concord, CA : "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..."

Purrmaster

Thanks for pointing out the specified accuracy (or lack thereof). I amended the review to reflect that. As I said, I’ve found them accurate against reference objects. Also, I have had these several months and haven’t seen any changes in accuracy, though I haven’t used them heavily.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

I likewise have the General model and mine has an ALL stainless housing, however, they now market one which is partically plastic and, thus, cheaper than the $30.00 I paid at Lowe’s two years ago. The bateries run down somewhat fast in cold weather, and do NOT shut off automatically after a period. Be certain not to fail to shut them off after each measurement is made. I’ give mine a five star rating as well.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

Purrmaster

The Harbor Freight ones (probably 90% of them are made by the same manufacturer) do have auto shut off. That being said, I usually switch it off manually to conserve juice.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

I have a 4” version of this same cheap caliper and it rests up front on my bench all the time. I’ve checked it against my much pricier Starrett dial and digital calipers and the accuracy is right on. It’s my “first grab” measuring device. Right up there with my Incra rulers. :-) It’s also been dropped more times than I’d like to admit, and still accurate.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

Got one of these a while back, works great, price made it impossible not to buy.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I also have 6” HF Calipers. I periodically check mine with some feeler guages. Never had any accuracy issues.

I also have HF calipers for many years and they work just fin. Great buy.

View Radu's profile

Radu

I just bought one last night. Thanks for your review.

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

I’m sorry to be negative here but I’ve had experience with HF and precision all bad, I won’t buy anything from HF that requires precise measures or cutting especially with the kind of woodworking I’m doing, that doesn’t mean I won’t buy from HF, I’m selective, I currently have the Lowes Kobalt for $29.00 and am very happy with it.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I own two digital units from HF, and comparing them to the digital Mitutoyo I bought years ago with certified accuracy, the HF units are dead on. Great around the lathe, and also use them a lot when trying to take off tiny amounts of wood in my planer. With the 20% coupons, you don’t worry much if you drop them. Sometimes, I think all these units, no matter what brand, use the same basic engine, just like most inexpensive watches do.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

Purrmaster

I just pulled up a picture of the Kobalt version and it looks very similar to the Harbor Freight version. My suspicion is they are clones. This model is probably made for a bunch of different retailers that stick their own brand on it. I’ve got some Kobalt stuff from Lowe’s and I like said stuff.

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

Brand SNOBBERY exists in all areas!

I serviced a “John Deere” skidlaoder years ago! The manufacturers plate stated made by OMC!

Curious I checked prices; the OMC in the ugly light green? color was a lot cheaper NEW!

It is almost like the competition in the American/Japanese auto industry!

Much more of the parts fit than any dealer/Dealer mechanic/dealer partsman will ever admit out loud!

-- just rjR