An obvious improvement over my Shop-Vac

Review by Kobra posted 10-05-2013 12:49 AM 4232 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An obvious improvement over my Shop-Vac An obvious improvement over my Shop-Vac No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After using my shop-vac as my dust collector for several months, I finally broke down and purchased a real dust collector. Let’s be honest, using a shop-vac for a dust collection system is akin to using a weed trimmer to mow your lawn.

Requirements –

1) I wanted a system with a relatively small footprint. Like most DIYers, lack of space is enemy #1.

2) Spend no more than $400. I couldn’t justify spending more money when woodworking is a hobby.

3) CFM greater than 400. The average CFM for a shop-vac is around 200. I wanted at least double that amount.

4) Filtration rating of 1 micron. All of my research pointed to this rating. This requirement reduced my options tenfold.

Purchase

After much deliberation, I ended up buying the Grizzly G0583Z. The base is 15”X26” with the overall height being 59”. Total cost including y-fitting, clamps and extra bags was $385. The hose and blast gates were purchased at Menards, so I ending up spending slightly more than $400. Grizzly claims the airflow capacity for the 583Z is 800 CFM. It uses a canister filter with a rating of 1 micron.

Assembly

Assembling the 583Z was super easy. It took me less than 45 minutes to get everything set up.

Positives

1) I noticed an obvious improvement the first time I used it with my table and band saw. The amount of sawdust on the floor was noticeably less. I still have to use my air compressor once in awhile to clean out the saws, but I put more of the blame on the saws themselves.

2) This thing is quieter than my shop-vac, which was a pleasant surprise.

3) Portability – This thing is small enough where I can move it around or out of the way depending on the situation.

Negatives

After a while, I started to notice a slight collection of dust around the seams. I used electrical tape to remedy this problem. Not a deal breaker just a minor annoyance.

Summary

This is a great dust collector for those who have limited space and/or a modest budget. It certainly won’t compete with the big boys, but it is an obvious improvement over the shop-vac route.

View Kobra's profile

Kobra

View Jokker78's profile

Jokker78

#1 posted 10-05-2013 05:33 AM

My shop vac works great. it is very loud but it is better than nothing

-- Measure once, cut , measure again, cut and damn its still to short

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#2 posted 10-05-2013 02:28 PM

Put a small cyclone in front of it and then you’ve got something. I use a dust buddy, This saves the filter clogging problem. Dust is a killer…. ’’ What’s that car doing in your wood shop’‘

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View Jokker78's profile

Jokker78

#3 posted 10-05-2013 04:31 PM

Where do you find a dust buddy.

-- Measure once, cut , measure again, cut and damn its still to short

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#4 posted 10-06-2013 01:22 AM

I have this same unit. I found that some small magnets work well to hold the bag in place while applying the band clamp.

View Kobra's profile

Kobra

#5 posted 10-06-2013 03:55 AM

+1 on the magnet trick. I struggled putting the bag on before using a couple of small magnets to hold it in place.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#6 posted 10-07-2013 04:29 PM

I have this same one; works great! I use blue masking tape to hold the bag, works great at getting the band back on. I can only use one machine at a time so this unit makes sense. Owne dot for three years now and nothing has ever broken.

-- Mike

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

#7 posted 10-17-2013 01:08 AM

Nicely written review – and you covered all the basic decision making considerations that I would have (I have a 12×8 workshop space). I was contemplating one of the newer 5-6 HP (peak) shop vac routes, but now I have more to think about – darn you and your informative dust collector review.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View ChipOffTheOldBlock's profile

ChipOffTheOldBlock

#8 posted 03-20-2014 11:13 PM

Very nice write up, thanks.

-- "Excellence is a thousand things done just a little bit better"

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

#9 posted 03-20-2014 11:31 PM

Good review and Nice acquisition! Re the dust around the edge of the bag, I’ve used some thin foam weather sealing tape between the bag and the metal ring, which greatly reduced the dust leaks.
Also, +1 on the addition of a second stage. Either a then baffle or a bought cyclone separator would make a big difference on how long the filter stays clean.

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#10 posted 03-21-2014 12:28 AM

I have the same collector now for 4 years, love it.

-- Mike