Was nice till it sucked up to much concrete dust

Review by Bill1974 posted 09-30-2013 06:44 PM 2351 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Was nice till it sucked up to much concrete dust Was nice till it sucked up to much concrete dust No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The first picture is just after it died a small fiery death. The second pic is from lowes website, the canister is not really that tall is a more squat.

Purchased this in the summer of 2008 and it lasted till September of 2013. I purchased a Ridgid WD1851 to replace it, after it died. I used it for house renovations and some dust collection. It had seen a good amount of drywall dust and concrete dust (which is what lead to its demise). The bushing (not bearing) wore and the motor shaft was loose and would vibrate. I took it apart a few time to oil/grease it and that would quiet it for another couple of hours of use. It was treated well, always used the drywall dust bags with it and at first the stock filter then the Gore Cleanstream filter. It was never used to pick up liquids.

Suction (airflow and sucking power) was good till it was used to suck up concrete dust and the bushings started to go. It had a little challenge picking up drywall screws, but other than that I had to complaints. The replacement is a little better

It was easy to move, stable, had a few spots to store accessories. Changing bags and filters is easy and readily available at the blue box store and some hardware stores. The replacement has a bag on the handle that hold accessories too, and for me is better, but it you all a wet/dry vac around the shop vac method is a little better I think, not as easy to loose pieces. If its going to stay in a shop the Ridgid is better, as long as you put accessories back in the bag.

Cord length was good, at 12 feet. It had a cord wrap, but is a pain to use, especially if the accessories were on the vac. Plus the end of the cord always seem to end up where you could not clip it to rest of the cord. If the cosd were 6 inches more or less it would not be an issue.

When new the Shop-Vac was reasonably quiet by wet/dry vac standards, not quiet by any means but didn’t leave you ears ringing. (Ridgid WD1851 is quieter and a less annoying sound, plus it came with a muffler).

Warranty and motor construction are what makes it loose a couple of stars. If there were sealed bearings and not bushing I am sure I would still be using it. Plus the fact the warranty is 3 years I think to.

In the end the bushings wore and the armature was loose. It vibrated a lot and ate half a motor brush, before it jammed on the brush and seized. Within 15 seconds it stopped and shot a little flames out the top. Killing the power it smoldered for next half hour.

Cost was great when I got this, $30, normally it’s around $95, the blue box store had it on sale and I was lucky to get it at that price. The replacement was 5 times the price I paid or 50% more if you look at the everyday price. For $30 I would have bought another one of the Shop-Vacs.

It will live on as a base and mobile canister for the Mini Clearvue in lieu of a five gallon bucket.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 09-30-2013 07:21 PM

In fairness, I don’t know how many vacuum cleaners would stand up to concrete dust for any prolonged period. And the dust had to act like sandpaper in there.

That being said, I used to work in a factory that made parts for Shop-Vac. Once I worked in that factory, and saw the parts being made, I never bought another. I now have two Rigids that are 14 years old, been moved three-four times, used for everything from water to planer dust collector, all kinds of wood dust and sander dust, plaster dust on a house rebuild, to cleaning out horse stalls. Still running. I do have one new one that sits under my bench. It is only 5 years old. Some of my oldest Rigids are downright howlers, but no motor failures, just bad air flow design. Almost every Shop-Vac I see that is failing or failed, it is the motor, usually the bearings or the impeller failed.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#2 posted 09-30-2013 09:35 PM

I agree that a shop vac of any brand won’t last long with concrete dust.

My shop vac (same specs as yours) is 9 years and going strong. I do use bags with it though.

Also, it wouldn’t hurt to give shop vac a call. They were great a while back when I called. IIRC the shop vac warranty is 5 years.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#3 posted 09-30-2013 11:15 PM

I bought two of those exact shopvacs. Purchased 3-4 years ago, also for $35ish on a black friday sale.
One of the vacs lasted for about a year with only light/moderate use. The other still works, but has been used sparingly. These vacs are good for someone that just needs to vacuum a car once a month and other sporadic, light-duty chores. But anything past that…...they’ll fail. Performance was pretty good while it worked though.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

1923 posts in 944 days

#4 posted 10-01-2013 01:16 AM

Got it for $30, it lasted 6 years, used it for drywall dust and concrete dust, easy to use and move, easy to empty and change filters, suction good until used for concrete dust, reasonably quiet, ........
Why only 3 stars????

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#5 posted 10-01-2013 03:01 AM

I thought that using it with proper filters (fine drywall dust bag and the best pleated filter they offer would have allowed it to deal with the concrete dust. I did change the bag a couple of times and cleaned the pleated filter too. And it was only a few hours of that that killed it.

Plus I couldn’t find replacement bushing, this would have allowed it to last much longer. Replacement of the motor really didn’t make sense cost wise either. If replacement bushing and or bearing were available and motor brushes I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more, and I believe I could have made it last much longer. It’s said to say that these are throw away because of a 50 cent bushing or bearing.

View revwarguy's profile

revwarguy

#6 posted 10-01-2013 01:02 PM

I have one of these same units – I also had the motor fail (which you can replace for about $40, and which is what I did) after running it continuously for about 4 hours. These are not meant to run for longer time periods. I probably won’t replace another motor failure.

-- "72.6 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot." - Steven Wright

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#7 posted 10-01-2013 07:35 PM

Have the same Vac, burnt out a motor, and Shop Vac sent me a new one guess two years back. Paid full price, and it works for me. I use both filter and bags.

Bought a Rigid same size and did not like it. Had a hard time installing a bag without ripping and could not navigate many obstacles in my small shop very well without tipping over. So took it back for a refund after about a day. Did not find it made less noise than my old Shop Vac, muffler was extra so did not buy one.

-- Bill

15337 posts in 1942 days

#8 posted 10-01-2013 08:56 PM

I have had mine for 10 yrs with alot of cuntruction under it. Never a problem other than recently the on switch is sticking. Lots and lots of dry-wall dust.