Gator Grit 40 grit 5 inch sanding discs

Review by Purrmaster posted 09-29-2013 06:35 AM 2179 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gator Grit 40 grit 5 inch sanding discs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let’s get a couple of things out of the way first: Yes, I start sanding with 40 grit. Yes, this is insane.

I find myself often having to sand out screwups on my projects and the rougher the sanding grit the faster I can sand it out.

I got these discs at Lowe’s. I normally got the Shop Smith 40 grit discs but they were out of them this time. So I bought a 50 pack.

So far I’ve gone at least dozen of them over a period of several months, on different woods.

There’s nothing really wrong with these discs. But they don’t impress either. They leave a uniform 40 grit sanded surface. And the holes line up nicely with my sander. The backing sticks to my random orbital sander just fine.

But they don’t cut as fast or last as long as the Shop Smith discs I’ve also used. I can usually get 1.5 to 2 times the usable life out of a 40 grit Shop Smith disc as I can with these. Inspection leads me to believe that the abrasive doesn’t adhere as well or as long to these discs.

On the positive side, they are reasonably inexpensive. And I’ve had a hard time finding sanding discs below 60 grit. And they are light years beyond the Harbor Freight sanding discs.

If you can get a somewhat higher quality 40 grit disc you may want to spring for that instead of this brand. But if this is all you can find they do work. Just not as well as I’d like.

P.S. On the other hand I have found the Gator garnet sanding paper to be quite good.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#1 posted 09-29-2013 04:48 PM

I’m not sure what anyone would use a 40 grit disc for? Why not just smooth up the surface with a chainsaw?

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#2 posted 09-29-2013 10:31 PM

Not impressed at all with the Gator brand sandpaper. The grit flys off this paper faster than the wood comes off. Tried them once because I was in a hurry and the big box store was open. Never again.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

#3 posted 09-30-2013 01:19 AM

40 GRIT ? IS THE BARK STILL ON YOUR LUMBER ? WHAT KIND OF DEFECTS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 09-30-2013 07:29 PM

The last time I put a 40 grit anything on a sander was on a belt sander when I tried to level out some bad concrete pads. Worked OK, save it broke open the concrete so bad I had to go back in with a top sealer!

Honestly, I didn’t even think you could buy a 40 grit for a ROS. But there it is. Is your ROS still running? How bout your hands? Still vibrating?
And I agree with you, the gator stuff is kind of sub-standard.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#5 posted 09-30-2013 08:20 PM

The gator product has been my least favorite of the dozen or so brands I have used.
I will never buy them again. 80 grit removed as much material as 150 grit of another brand.
I currently use Klingspor. They last longer, and are actually cheaper per disc than the store brands.
Freud Diablo discs last too, but their “one sized fits none” dust holes are disappointing.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#6 posted 10-01-2013 05:02 PM

Remember gang, were not all doing the same type of woodworking or using the same methods. I can give two examples of when I use 40 grit:

1) To fair the planks on a wooden boat hull.

2) I make concave tops for footstools I build (its easier and faster then my draw knife).

I have these disks and agree with everything you say about them. I do love that they come in packs of 50 or 100 because I change them as soon as they start to lose their bite. I havent found it that difficult to remove the marks if you progress through the rough grits, i.e. 40, 60, 80.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

#7 posted 10-02-2013 03:05 AM

I’ve had a similar experience as pintodeluxe has. Their grits aren’t rough enough. Using their 50 grit sheets I’ve noticed the abrasive particles tend to detach from the paper. I’ve had better luck with their 100 grit sheets.

As I said I’ve had good experiences with their garnet papers.