Wooden Boxes, Skill-building techniques for seven unique projects.

Review by RogerBean posted 09-27-2013 06:00 PM 3799 views 2 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wooden Boxes, Skill-building techniques for seven unique projects. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow LJ Dennis Zongker has produced a really fine book that will be valuable to furniture makers and box makers alike. At 240 photo filled pages he explains how to make several of his masterpieces that we Lumberjocks have marveled at when he first posted them. Dennis is really good at what he does, and it certainly shows up here. All done up in a rich, Taunton-quality publication.

The book is structured around seven stunning projects, each covered in its own section. The reader can cover the gamut, from a straightforward rectangular box, to the elegant and complex masterpiece at the end.

Each box chapter is a treasure trove of information, in itself, with detailed instructions showing how he made each piece. In addition, he includes information on specific techniques like carving, marquetry, inlaying, segmented turning, veneering, and decorative banding. And he does it all with tools common to many home workshops.

In addition to the boxes posted on LJ, there are several new ones as well. All are spectacular, and Dennis “tells all” about how he made them so others can apply the methods to their own boxes and projects.

For instance, my personal favorite, his “Serpentine Coin Box”, is laid bare, as he walks the reader through forming the carcase and serpenting front. Veneering the curved and flat surfaces is explained clearly. Each of the finely crafted details like the ebony edging becomes clear as Dennis explains just how each is created. He even provides a complete cut list of the materials required for each of the projects in the book.

The “Traditional Jewelry Box” that awed so many members when it was first posted is here too. Along with a materials list, 8 drawings, 75 photos and 45 pages with detailed text. The Cameo Music Box is also included.

As a serious hobby box maker, I have accumulated over thirty box making books, but until now, only three that I would actually recommend. And two of those have been out of print for a decade! Now there’s a fourth and I enthusiastically recommend it for every box maker’s bookshelf. A really good book can cut years off the learning curve, and avoid immeasurable frustration. Personally, I read the good ones many times, as I’m sure I will this one.

It’s available now from www.taunton.com for a very reasonable $24.95.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#1 posted 09-27-2013 06:10 PM

I second your recommendation, Roger.

I got my copy in the mail the other day, and I’m very impressed with the level of detail Dennis has provided on his gorgeous projects. I’d call this book a “must have” for anyone interested in bringing his woodworking skills up to the next level.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

#2 posted 09-27-2013 06:23 PM

I can’t think of a better LJ to be the first to review this book Roger.

Thanks!

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View mauibob's profile

mauibob

#3 posted 09-27-2013 06:36 PM

Thanks for pointing that one out, Roger! Just placed my order for a copy.

-- Bob, Potomac, MD

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1442 posts in 1929 days

#4 posted 09-27-2013 08:14 PM

Just ordered a copy. I’ve been eyeing this book for some time, and have always admired Dennis’ work.

-- Allen, Colorado

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#5 posted 09-27-2013 08:15 PM

Roger great review. I order mine a few months ago via Amazon and have not gotten it yet. I can’t wait after your review. Could you also let us fellow box makers in on the other three books you recommend? Not to take away in any way from Dennis’s book (like I stated got one coming) just like to review all that I can.

I don’t want to hijack this post so a PM would be great as well. 

Thanks Richard

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#6 posted 09-27-2013 08:23 PM

Great post. Thanks for the tip.

View dclark1943's profile

dclark1943

#7 posted 09-27-2013 08:44 PM

Thanks Roger, I just ordered a copy – - can’t wait to read it ! I too would be curious as to your other top picks ?
thanks

-- Dave, Kansas City

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 09-28-2013 12:49 AM

Roger, That is high praise indeed coming from a master box maker!

I think I need to own that book even though it is probably way over my head. That would be a great Christmas present.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

15304 posts in 1933 days

#9 posted 09-28-2013 02:24 PM

Thx for the review! I have always been impressed and amazed and his work. With that said, he is also a really nice guy and just another example of how great the people are here. He is always supportive and never negative when I have chatted with him on here. His whole family is talented.

I ordered my book months ago when he announced it was coming out and can’t wait for it to show up…. It’s like Christmas Time waiting for Santa….

Thx for the review, coming from another talented LJ here I’m even more excited

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#10 posted 09-28-2013 02:32 PM

Thank you for the heads up and review! I’ve drifted away from Taunton press because it doesn’t want to play with Mac, but will try again for this publication (may just break down and use the telephone) as it looks like a great reference source from an uber LJ.

View Randy63's profile

Randy63

#11 posted 09-29-2013 01:03 AM

I received my copy of this book a couple of days ago. As mentioned there are many books available regarding boxes but only a few that I would consider good and this book is definitely one of those. Dennis shared his techniques and methods for crafting seven beautiful boxes leaving no detail out. A book that any woodworker looking to improve his or her techniques would be wise to add to their library. A real delight!

-- Randy, Oakdale, Ca.

View Roger's profile

#12 posted 09-29-2013 12:14 PM

Nice review, and heads up. Congrats to Dennis.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View tomd's profile

tomd

#13 posted 09-30-2013 02:41 AM

Thanks for the review Roger, I will get a copy.

-- Tom D

15304 posts in 1933 days

#14 posted 10-01-2013 08:57 PM

Amazon says mine will be here Thursday SWEET!

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1442 posts in 1929 days

#15 posted 10-02-2013 12:53 AM

Same here, Ken. Exciting news.

-- Allen, Colorado