Lie Nielsen block plane

Review by Purrmaster posted 202 days ago 2326 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie Nielsen block plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is for the Lie Nielsen small bronze block plane. I’m pretty sure I got the low angle one.

This plane is great. The Stanley Sweetheart block plane I have was ok but this thing is leagues ahead of it. It’s a dinky little critter with a 1 1/4 inch blade. Mine is made of bronze, though iron ones are available.

The plane is perfectly made. The sides are perfectly square to the sole and the sole is flat as a pancake. The blade is nice and thick, especially for a plane this small. It’s small enough to fit in one hand and fairly comfortable.

It can take tissue paper shavings or hog off fairly thick shavings. The adjuster on the back gives nice and smooth blade retraction and issue.

This has become my go to plane for the edges of boards. I have been able to shave end grain in some wood with it, which I’ve never been able to do with my other planes.

To use a cliche, this plane is small but mighty. It’s spendy for something this small but it’s worth every penny. I rarely pick up my Stanley block plane anymore.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

How much did you pay for this little miracle ?

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

11987 posts in 2597 days

I have the larger adjustable mouth planes, been thinking of picking this one as well. Thanks for the review.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

Cost was $115.00. The standard price on the Lie Nielsen website.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

I have this plane and it does have issues with grain reversal despite a tight mouth. A standard plane would
work well along with this plane. Still it good plane for tuning up working.