Rockler Coping Sled

Review by Albe posted 288 days ago 1928 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Coping Sled Rockler Coping Sled No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have never wrote a tool review but after using Rockler’s Coping Sled and not seeing any other reviews I figured I’d try my luck. I actually bought the copping sled several years ago when I got frustrated when using a rail and stile bit set to do the profile on the end grain. No matter how hard I tried bit seemed to grab and it threw it off track. I again realized how much of a lifesaver it is when using it again doing the same operation.

Although the copping sled seems a little steep at $60 it is very rugged and with its abrasive strip and hold down handle it firmly holds the work in place. Its phenolic base makes sliding it on the table very easy. Additionally, it comes with a hardwood guide block that reduces tearout and can easy be changed out when routing different profiles. I give it four stars because the price seems a little high.

-- Pain is temporary, quitting last forever.

View Albe's profile

Albe

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

I bought one a few years ago and have used it often. It developed two problems over time that I’ve had to address. The first is the two screws holding the clamp block. They’re very flimsy and one stripped out. I replaced them with counter sunk bolts. The other is that it was just a little too thick for the Freud cabinet making set I was using. The bit shaved about 1/16” off the sled. Other than this, though, it’s been a trooper and I still use it. I don’t think I paid $60, though. Thanks for the review.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

Came close to buying one of these but it was a little expensive so I made one. I used it to build a bunch of doors for the shop cabinets.

You do need to get some height on the bits however.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

I made one too, trying to copy the Rockler jig. If you use 1/4” phenolic base piece instead of the plywood like Mike did you can avoid the bit height issue.

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View Albe's profile

Albe

I encountered the same issue Jeff is talking about and what I did was cut a piece of scrap 1/4 plywood slighly under the width o the wood so it would not cut in to the plate.

-- Pain is temporary, quitting last forever.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

There’s always the old delta made with a hefty piece of steel plate!

View mandatory66's profile

mandatory66

Infinity makes a nice durable heavy duty sled that doesn’t get chewed up. It needs a higher than normal fence to work as it has a plexiglass plate above the bit that rides on the fence. The plexiglass also provides protection for the operator.Well Made tool but expensive.