Delta Heavy Duty Precision Miter Guage 36-946

Review by stanley2 posted 06-10-2008 12:15 AM 5251 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta Heavy Duty Precision Miter Guage 36-946 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have only seen this miter guage on ebay – never in a store nor in a Delta catalogue. When you search the product number on the Delta website it only comes up as an accessory to their hybrid tablesaw. The ebayer who lists it sells one a week and I lowballed it for 2 years before I finally got it for $80, including shipping. In the last two weeks they have sold for less than my $50.

What an improvement for my vintage unisaw! The design is excellent including an eccentric lock screw to set the guage to a true 90 degrees to the blade. This is a one-time step. It can be used in the left or right slot with simple changes to the assembly. Changing the fence angle is a snap by loosening the set screw and sliding the telescoping scale bar in or out to the degree number you want and re-setting the set screw. The scale has a number of detents for more commonly used angles for ease of setting the scale. The fence is easily moved side-to-side by loosening two thumb screws on the miter guage. There is an adjustable flip stop for fixing the distance of your piece from the blade for repetitive cuts. There is a quick release clamp, which I don’t use as I am used to using my hands over the fence to hold the work piece in place because I can see the operation better. Three expansion slots are provided to make fine adjustments to the slider.

The only shortcoming I have encountered is the height of the handle, which could have been made higher for a full hand grasp.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 06-10-2008 01:35 AM

Nice review, Thanks.

You could always make another handle couldn’t you, or even make an extension.?

#2 posted 06-10-2008 01:43 AM

HI Gary – I tried adapting a handle from a grinder but, naturally, Delta used a different thread.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#3 posted 06-10-2008 05:10 AM

That looks a LOT like my Osborne miter gauge!! I love mine!! It was perfect right out of the box, and I used it righ in the middle of my Highboy project. I hope you like it, I love mine!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19693 posts in 2598 days

#4 posted 06-10-2008 06:45 AM

Great review Stanley. Looks like a good accessory.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#5 posted 06-10-2008 07:30 AM

You might check Rockler’s handles if you get a chance.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#6 posted 06-11-2008 02:02 AM

I have been looking at this one and the Osborne. Can’t make up my mind though, but if I can get it at $50 that could easily make up my mind.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

#7 posted 06-11-2008 03:15 AM

Go on ebay and search “delta” – can’t miss it

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

#8 posted 06-11-2008 03:43 AM

This is 6/10/08 and it now sells for $119.00. That would have been a great buy at 50.00 / a good buy at 80.00. But at 119.00 I don’t use it enough for that price.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.

View jonnyo's profile

jonnyo

#9 posted 06-11-2008 11:29 AM

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME ! I SAW NORM USING IT BUT HAVENT SEEN ONE ANYWHERE ! I LOOKED ON E-BAY, NOT THERE. NEVER HERD OF OSBORNE. WAS WILLING TO PAY SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS. HELP!!!!!

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#10 posted 06-11-2008 11:36 AM

#11 posted 06-11-2008 03:01 PM

So this morning the ebay listing is at $72 with 4 days to go while last week it sold for $41. Remember, this is an auction and this review might have influenced the number of bidders. Be patient because up to now the seller has listed one every week. Good luck

#12 posted 06-12-2008 11:02 AM

Phil,

This is a nice review. This looks like a quality miter gauge. Thanks for the post.

View mski's profile

mski

#13 posted 06-30-2008 10:52 PM

I ordered the Osborne and sent it back it had 1/32” play, second one was worse, I had to peen the holes at the pivot points to tighten the play, (from a dull drill or improper drilling speed).
It works good for holding heavy or long pieces, the indexing button is not 100% accurate, always check when resetting. Osborne has excellent service, shipped the replacement 2nd day air the day I called, didn’t have to wait for the return. I paid $118.00
If I had to do over I would buy and Incra .
That Delta is the Osborne, made by Excalibur.

-- MARK IN BOB, So. CAL

View Kevin Willis's profile

Kevin Willis

#14 posted 09-11-2008 04:33 PM

My Delta Hybrid saw came with one of these and I have a ton of trouble getting true 90 degree cuts with it…has anyone figured out how to get the “slop” out of it?

-- something profound should go here

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#15 posted 09-11-2008 04:45 PM

No one has mentioned putting sandpaper on the carrying surface.
I found from experience that most of the inaccuracies I encountered were from the saw blade pushing the work away from the miter.
That certainly doesn’t offset poor manufacturing practices and quality control but it sure saves bad cuts when everything else checks out.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner