GF Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat

Review by Roger posted 300 days ago 2117 views 1 time favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GF Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my 2-cents on this mighty fine finish from Generals. It’s grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8!, As Tony the Tiger would have said. I used this for the 1st time on the 3 in 1 crib that I just built for my youngest Grndson. I used a sort of “French-Ball” to apply the recommended 3 coats. Small make-up pads (believe me, I don’t use make-up)lol, inside of a pair of panty-hose….......OK, stop laughin, I don’t wear those either…....I do have a hard time goin to Wally World buyin this stuff tho.. LOL. Anyhoo, After sanding to 320 on all the parts, I wiped on a diluted coat of BLO, then after about 2 and a half weeks when that was dry, I wiped on the Generals. All coats went on easily. The satin finish is just what I wanted. It looks amazing. No drips anywhere, either. :) I’m sure, I’ll be using the heck outta this finish. Thnx Generals for a good product, made in the good ole U.S.A.

Roger,

Why the BLO first…..color? Also, I’ve been making my own wipe on poly from gloss poly thinned with Mineral Spirits and it seems to work quite well. I’d never question a General Finishes product, but give me a tie breaker, Roger.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

andy_P

I forgot to ask…....What brand of Panty Hose do you like…....LOL

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

Nice review and good info to have. Thanks.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

View Roger's profile

Thnx. LOL andy…. the cheapest ones are what I like… hehehe… I have used the ole “brew-yer-own” mix as well. I just really wanted to try something different. The BLO thinned down w/thinner helps bring out the grain nicely on that Walnut. (and other woods as well). I’m still experimenting. :)

andy_P

roger..do you think there is any blotching problems with Cherry and Maple and the like? I like the idea of BLO bringing out more of the grain yet maintaining the natural look. Never thought of it. My biggest problem is that I don’t have the patience to wait out the time necessary to let the oil completely dry.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Great review, roger. Is it like wipe on poly?
What does it cost for a gallon? Is it like $60??
Where do you get it?
Is it recommended to scuff sand between coats??

Thanks, Jim

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Nice review, I might have to give it a try.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

I like Spar Urethane/mineral spirits for a ‘home made’ wipe on. The Spar has a lot of “long oils” like BLO in it and gives a nice look to most darker woods.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

I’ve used their stuff in cans… and it was super!!

I used Arm-r-Seal on this little shelf... I was very happy with it!

I’m curious about the Cost & source too…

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks, Roger.

I have heard General makes some fine finishes but have never tried them.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

I believe I saw a video on this with Charles Neil. He had great results with the finishes.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

Thanks for the review Roger but I found out some months back it is no longer available here in the UK, all to do with it exceeding the V.O.C. levels….......................damn those health and Safety Exec.

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

General Finishes is available at Woodcraft stores. Great line of products.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View Roger's profile

Jim: A couple of months ago, I actually bought a gallon thru Rockler with free shipping, it was 44 bux delivered to my door. Here’s Generals web page: http://www.generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-base-top-coats
Here is a spec sheet:
The MSDS sheet:
Also, I did not “sand” between coats, but, I did use a fine scuff pad. I had very minimal “nubs”. I’m still learning myself though. Everything came out fine for me. :)
Joe: That’s a beauty of a shelf you made there. That finish looks very good.

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

This is my go to finish on most projects, great stuff.