GF Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat

Review by Roger posted 09-25-2013 11:06 PM 2309 views 1 time favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GF Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my 2-cents on this mighty fine finish from Generals. It’s grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8!, As Tony the Tiger would have said. I used this for the 1st time on the 3 in 1 crib that I just built for my youngest Grndson. I used a sort of “French-Ball” to apply the recommended 3 coats. Small make-up pads (believe me, I don’t use make-up)lol, inside of a pair of panty-hose….......OK, stop laughin, I don’t wear those either…....I do have a hard time goin to Wally World buyin this stuff tho.. LOL. Anyhoo, After sanding to 320 on all the parts, I wiped on a diluted coat of BLO, then after about 2 and a half weeks when that was dry, I wiped on the Generals. All coats went on easily. The satin finish is just what I wanted. It looks amazing. No drips anywhere, either. :) I’m sure, I’ll be using the heck outta this finish. Thnx Generals for a good product, made in the good ole U.S.A.

#1 posted 09-25-2013 11:35 PM

Roger,

Why the BLO first…..color? Also, I’ve been making my own wipe on poly from gloss poly thinned with Mineral Spirits and it seems to work quite well. I’d never question a General Finishes product, but give me a tie breaker, Roger.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

#2 posted 09-25-2013 11:36 PM

I forgot to ask…....What brand of Panty Hose do you like…....LOL

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

#3 posted 09-25-2013 11:49 PM

Nice review and good info to have. Thanks.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

#4 posted 09-25-2013 11:56 PM

Thnx. LOL andy…. the cheapest ones are what I like… hehehe… I have used the ole “brew-yer-own” mix as well. I just really wanted to try something different. The BLO thinned down w/thinner helps bring out the grain nicely on that Walnut. (and other woods as well). I’m still experimenting. :)

#5 posted 09-26-2013 12:27 AM

roger..do you think there is any blotching problems with Cherry and Maple and the like? I like the idea of BLO bringing out more of the grain yet maintaining the natural look. Never thought of it. My biggest problem is that I don’t have the patience to wait out the time necessary to let the oil completely dry.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#6 posted 09-26-2013 12:41 AM

Great review, roger. Is it like wipe on poly?
What does it cost for a gallon? Is it like $60??
Where do you get it?
Is it recommended to scuff sand between coats??

Thanks, Jim

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#7 posted 09-26-2013 12:50 AM

Nice review, I might have to give it a try.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 09-26-2013 12:53 AM

I like Spar Urethane/mineral spirits for a ‘home made’ wipe on. The Spar has a lot of “long oils” like BLO in it and gives a nice look to most darker woods.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#9 posted 09-26-2013 12:58 AM

I’ve used their stuff in cans… and it was super!!

I used Arm-r-Seal on this little shelf... I was very happy with it!

I’m curious about the Cost & source too…

View lew's profile

lew

#10 posted 09-26-2013 12:59 AM

Thanks, Roger.

I have heard General makes some fine finishes but have never tried them.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#11 posted 09-26-2013 01:40 AM

I believe I saw a video on this with Charles Neil. He had great results with the finishes.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

#12 posted 09-26-2013 08:05 AM

Thanks for the review Roger but I found out some months back it is no longer available here in the UK, all to do with it exceeding the V.O.C. levels….......................damn those health and Safety Exec.

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

View Earlextech's profile (online now)

Earlextech

#13 posted 09-26-2013 12:21 PM

General Finishes is available at Woodcraft stores. Great line of products.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

#14 posted 09-26-2013 12:52 PM

Jim: A couple of months ago, I actually bought a gallon thru Rockler with free shipping, it was 44 bux delivered to my door. Here’s Generals web page: http://www.generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-base-top-coats
Here is a spec sheet:
The MSDS sheet:
Also, I did not “sand” between coats, but, I did use a fine scuff pad. I had very minimal “nubs”. I’m still learning myself though. Everything came out fine for me. :)
Joe: That’s a beauty of a shelf you made there. That finish looks very good.

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#15 posted 09-26-2013 03:32 PM

This is my go to finish on most projects, great stuff.