Incra LS - TS on ridgid 4512

Review by EMC posted 09-22-2013 03:35 AM 5168 views 6 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra LS - TS on ridgid 4512 Incra LS - TS on ridgid 4512 Incra LS - TS on ridgid 4512 Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a month ago I purchased a Ridgid 4512 to replace my dw744.

Although this is not intended to be a review of the 4512, I will say that I am quite pleased with it. Once I had it assembled and set up I went through it carefully and set up the blade, fence and miter slots to all be parallel and was able to achieve great accuracy (within a few hundredths) without a lot of trouble.

I have read about the issue many have had with the blade shifting position as it goes up and down, but I have had zero shift with mine. Not sure if I’m just lucky, or if Ridgid finally made a change to address the problem.

The weak spot with the saw seemed to me to be the miter gauge (which I didn’t care about since I had previously purchased a much better Incra one), and the fence – which did not seem as bad to me as some say, but was certainly less than ideal in terms of maintains parallelism as well as smooth operation.

I considered changing to a Vega fence, but never quite got to the point where I felt like it was a big enough gain to be worth the cost to me.

After looking around some more, I found myself intrigued with the incra fence. It seemed like I could not only gain a truly parallel fence, but also some precision capabilities, and repeatability which were very appealing to me. After reading every review I could find, and watching a bunch of videos, I came to the conclusion that there were some definate pluses and minuses:

Minuses – cost (almost as much as the saw!); takes up extra space beyond the end of the saw table (I have a smallish shop area); possibly slower operation compared to a traditional fence; limited width of rip; and the “bad” review from The Wood Whisperer” site.

Pluses – extreme accuracy; repeatability which can’t be gotten with any other fence; a ton of good reviews on other sites; easy and safe thin strip ripping; ability to do some things which are hard, slow or impossible with a standard fence.

Frankly, the pluses seemed to me to greatly exceed the minuses. And a few of the minuses just didn’t matter to me (I rarely would want to rip wider than the capacity of the incra, and I’m in no big hurry to set my fence).

So, I decided I wanted one, just was having trouble justifying the cost. But before long that problem was overcome when I noticed that Incra had them on sale, and also they sent me a 10% off coupon when I signed up for their mail list online. So, I jumped on the deal and ordered mine.

I went with the smaller size because I just don’t have the room for the even longer rails. The fence arrived within a few days (shipped almost immediately even thought he website had warned me that there might be a delay for production). Packaging was impressive, all items were carefully packaged, wrapped to prevent scuffs, etc. I was impressed but he attention to detail.

Cracked the boxes open and was off to the basement to start installing it! First order of business was to remove the Ridgid rails and fence. Easy job, only took about 15 minutes. I also removed my shop-made extension table, and after some thought also pulled off the cheapo sheet metal side tables which came with the saw.

Following the manual (which was quite possibly the best one I have ever seen) it was pretty easy to go step by step and install the new fence. The process is time consuming – I spent about 3 hours doing the install, calibrating everything and really understanding how it all works. But, itis not at all frustrating or difficult. Every part fits perfectly, the quality of the components is impressive, and the thought that went into making it really “work” very much impressed me. This is definatly an engineered product. It’s mechanically precise, beautifully machined, and elegantly designed.

Once I had the fence up and running I decided to tackle the side table issue. I have never been happy with the cheap sheet metal side tables, not the standard melamine extension I had made and installed previously.

After some head scratching I decided to build my own wooden frames using 2×2 members fastened together using my kreg jig which gave me great ridgidity. I bolted these to the steel center table using the existing threaded bosses in the table top and longer metric thread bolts placed through elongated holes for leveling.

Although I have used melamine in the past for these tables! I have never liked the way it looks! nor the way. It tends to chip and leave sharp edges. So, I decided to use baltic birch plywood for the table tops which I glued and pinned to the frames I built. After installation I sanded them smooth and finished with multiple coats of glossy wipe on poly to get a slippery surface. So far this is working great, and I like the “wood” look.

I ended up using the extra gold L shaped brackets and some extra hardware from the Incra parts, plus a few bolts and nuts I added to fasten the sides of the extension tables to the incra rails. It worked really well and allowed me to easily use the rail extrusion as mounting points and incorporate the ability to level up the wood tables easily.

I probably spent another 2-3 hours building the tables and figuring out how best to mount them, but in the end it worked great! Rock solid, totally level and a lot nicer to work on then the former sheet metal table wings plus melamine extension.

After it was all done, I felt like it was adequate, but there was a bit more movement at the far right end of the saw than I liked (due to the overhang length and added weight of my extended top). So, I ordered the Incra legs (got the best price from Amazon on them) and installed them. They work great, and I now have zero play and a totally solid work surface.

With it all finished up I started actually using the saw. I couldn’t be more pleased! The fence glides into place, once set it is rock solid, and it maintains perfectly parallel operation. With my good rip blade I am getting jointer quality rips with no burns at all, and the wood just glides through. Repeatability is as promised.

I’m not sure why or how the Wood Whisperer had problems with this fence, but I’m glad I didn’t go by his experience. The Incra fence has made my table saw ten times better. I can do more with it, It’s safer as I never have binding or other issues from being out of square, and I can do cuts I couldn’t do before. Basically. It took my decent saw and turned it into a precision woodworking machine.

It is a bit slower when you just want to do a quick cut, but as a trade off it saves a lot of time when you need multiple set ups in a row, and also because there is never a need to double-check the fence for parallel.

I give the fence five stars – quality if manufacturing is quite high, instructions are very well done, it dos everything promised, and it makes me more able to do better work.

The only think I can’t really speak to is customer service – I didn’t need any, no issues with install or use, no missing parts, no problems. So I’ve never had a reason to check it out.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5076 posts in 1959 days

#1 posted 09-22-2013 04:28 AM

You are definitely going to enjoy using the Incra fence…What a precise piece of equipment…!
I’ve had my Incra Table Saw Fence for a little over 5 years now and it has been a fantastic and precise addition to my workshop. I originally put it on a Grizzly cabinet saw and then put it on my new saw I bought this past May.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#2 posted 09-22-2013 02:45 PM

Good post EMC.
I have two (2) Incra fences (one on the router table with the supper fence and one on the TS) and I concur with everything you have said. I just don’t think you can beat Incra for accuracy.

-- Life is good.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

#3 posted 09-22-2013 04:41 PM

A very well documented review. Should I need a fence it most certainly be the Incra based solely upon your description. Thank you, and good luck with your projects.
By the way one hell of a shop.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#4 posted 09-23-2013 01:16 AM

Good review. I’ll buy one for my Grizz if you will come and set it up for me!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View ward63's profile

ward63

#5 posted 09-23-2013 02:51 AM

Wow! This is really a nice set up! I wish I had the space. Nothing compares to an Incra table saw fence!!! The only thing I would add is a router in the middle of the right side table, and 2 trim routers on left-hand side but that’s just me since space is a premium.
Excellent review!!!

Thanks for sharing.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#6 posted 09-23-2013 03:35 AM

I also have a Incra Router Table and really love it. The equipment they make is awesome.
I currently have my 25 year old Craftsman table saw that works good, but lacks power being only 1 1/2 HP.
Have been giving serious thought to a new saw, but just can’t decide on what to buy.
Enjoy your new toy. It will serve you well.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

383 posts in 2082 days

#7 posted 09-23-2013 12:18 PM

I’ve had my Incra TSLS 32 on a Craftsman 1.75 horse contractor saw for over 8 years. Never had a table saw prior to that, and never put the original Craftsman fence on. Saw the fence at a Houston woodworking show and bought it from Woodpeckers booth on the spot. Don’t think I’d ever appreciate a good Beismeyer fence since all I know is the ease and accuracy of the Incra.

I do lust after a cabinet saw and my only thoughts are sell my craftsman with the incra fence on it and order a new one for the new saw, or swap the fence to the new saw. Either way it’ll be an incra.

Takes 2 minutes to lift off the fence and get unlimited cross cutting using a sled. Takes 2 minutes to slide the fence down to the left side mounted benchdog router table, where I can use all the Wonder fence and dovetailing cababilities. The ability to sneek up by a 1000th of an inch with just a click of the rotary knob is priceless.

Rock solid fence for sure. and you can’t beat the 1000SE miter, or the easy miter slider they build either. Have them both.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Nygiants77's profile

Nygiants77

#8 posted 09-25-2013 04:31 AM

ordered mine today i cant wait to get started on these christmas gifts!

View lazyoakfarm's profile

lazyoakfarm

#9 posted 09-25-2013 03:45 PM

Great Review.

i have that fence. It makes up for my lack of skill.

View Furnitude's profile

Furnitude

#10 posted 09-26-2013 01:19 PM

The problem I’m having with the fence of my 4512 is that it isn’t at 90 degrees to the table. How is the Incra in that regard? does it maintain a perfect angle as its position is changed?

-- Mitch, http://furnitude.blogspot.com Also blog at http://www.craftsy.com/blog/author/mitch-roberson/

#11 posted 09-27-2013 12:04 AM

Yes, it’s dead on all the time. Very precise.

With the ridgid fence you can get it somewhat better by adjusting the grip of the tail end – on mine it was way to tight and bound as it moved which pulled it out of square. But even with this fixed it does not stay at all truly square.

View jcwalleye's profile

jcwalleye

#12 posted 09-27-2013 01:55 AM

Glad you like your new fence. You stated

“Pluses – extreme accuracy; repeatability which can’t be gotten with any other fence”

What is it about the Incra fence that gives repeatability no other fence can? For example a Biesemeyer? Just curious.

-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--

View Albe's profile

Albe

#13 posted 09-27-2013 05:36 AM

Thank you for the great review I am still eyeballing 1

-- Pain is temporary, quitting last forever.

#14 posted 09-28-2013 12:46 AM

I would suggest watching the incra videos on YouTube as they demo the repeatability.

Basically they use a lead screw set up which forces the fence to lock at precise intervals so you can set it, cut, move it, cut, move back and be at exactly the same place.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#15 posted 10-02-2013 05:15 PM

Late to the party here, but the LS fence deserves another vote. I have one on my tablesaw and another on my router table and can’t say enough good about them. Would feel deprived to go back to my Biesemier.