G reat little impact driver - Bosch PS40-2

Review by GaryK posted 06-10-2008 12:06 AM 5394 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G reat little impact driver - Bosch PS40-2 G reat little impact driver - Bosch PS40-2 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was looking for a small driver so that I wouldn’t keep having to swap bits out in my drill. I wasn’t really looking for an impact driver, but then I found about the rebate Bosch is currently having. Buy an impact driver and get a PS20 (non-impact version) for free. Now it doesn’t include a battery but the PS40 does include 2.

So now I get both for the price of one. I got it for the out the door price of $142.

How does it perform? Well, I drove a #8×3” deck screw all the way into a piece of white oak without pre-drilling! For small screws it doesn’t even use the impact feature. I always drive in screws to final torque by hand so it never let it bottom out the.

It only starts impacting once the torque reaches a certain level. Just barely pull the trigger and the LED light turns on. Press a little more and it barely starts moving. Real nice variable speed control.

Some of the features:
2.2 lbs.
3 LEDs illuminate work area for use in dark areas
800 in.-lbs of max torque
Lithium 10.8V Batteries
Bumpers on Side of Tool — Protect work surface and prevent slipping
Variable Speed Trigger

For the rebate you need to purchase before July 15th. Get the rebate form here.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#1 posted 06-10-2008 12:21 AM

$17.00 each is a real good price.
Let us know how the rebate works.
I had such a horrible time with Hitachi this year I swore never to buy anything without and instant rebate.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 06-10-2008 12:55 AM

thanks for the review Gary, my friend has this and he loves it. he says even though his 14 volt has more power he finds himself picking up this one more often because of its light weight and easy use.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#3 posted 06-10-2008 02:45 AM

I got one of these a few weeks ago and just love it. Used it to put sheet rock screws in the new shop. Cannot wait to use it on cabinets and hardware. I highly recommend it to any one needing a compact unit.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19586 posts in 2569 days

#4 posted 06-10-2008 06:42 AM

Nice looking tool Gary. I think the lithium battery will lead to much better cordless tools.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Tony's profile

Tony

#5 posted 06-10-2008 12:11 PM

It sounds like a really good deal – These tools are the professional versions, not the hobbyist version.

You guys get all the good deals and equipment over in the USA, I guess there is a lot more competition than in Europe, even though this is a German company.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#6 posted 06-10-2008 01:18 PM

P.s folks I meant to say $71.00 each above.

Bob (dyslexic)

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View jcees's profile

jcees

#7 posted 06-10-2008 05:41 PM

SOLD!

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View TomK 's profile

TomK

#8 posted 06-10-2008 07:34 PM

Great review. I’ve wanted one of these since they came out.

-- If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free! PJ O'Rourke

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#9 posted 06-11-2008 08:01 AM

Good review Gary – sounds like something else that I now want to buy.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

#10 posted 06-12-2008 11:01 AM

This is a nice review, Gary. I have thought about one of these for some time now. I have 5 cordless drills now but this is a good an excuse as any to buy another tool.

Thanks for the post.

View FloridaUFGator's profile

FloridaUFGator

#11 posted 06-19-2008 08:18 PM

I have this impact driver. It is a must have. I use it all the time. The form factor of the thing is great. I paid a whole lot more than $71.

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

View Roy Turbett's profile

Roy Turbett

#12 posted 08-07-2008 08:18 AM

I got the screw gun free when I bought the Bosch 10” sliding miter saw. The gun works great and is perfect for working inside of cabinets. The claim that you can drive 300 screws on a single charge is an exageration, but the 30 minute recharge time is not.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#13 posted 08-19-2008 06:19 AM

Thank Gary. I’m pretty pumped right now. Just got an email from Woodsmith indicating I’d won one of the PS40-2 and $200 for a tip that’ll be in the next issue. I was hoping there would be a review here. I’d picked it up a few times, but couldn’t justify it given my wife got me a nice 14V Cordless not too long ago. The 14V Fein drill is awesome, but can’t quite get a lag bolt in without some work. I don’t need the power much, but i’m looking forward to test driving this one out.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View lumberjohn's profile

lumberjohn

#14 posted 01-08-2009 04:39 AM

I am a impactor freak, sort of…
I also have the Milwaukee version of this little marvel.
I have the Makita and the Ryobi too.
I am very disapointed by the Bosch version.
It began impacting way too soon and don’t seem to have the 800 in/lb advertised.
In a head to head comparison with the 3 others brands, who also advertise about 800 in/lb of torque,
this one seem to have only 600.
The Milwaukee and the Makita are equaly the strongest, but the Makita is smaller in your hand.
The Ryobi seem a tad less strong but hold small bits wonderfully with no adapter.
The 10.8 or 12 volts issue is just marketing. It is 10.8 volts nominal and 12 volts mesured for all theses tools.
Excuse my poor english, I am french speaking.

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

#15 posted 03-23-2009 04:09 PM

Good reveiw Gary… I have one of these and it works like a charm…

-- Festool4