A HOME RUN FOR ROUTER TEMPLATES

Review by motthunter posted 09-13-2013 12:32 AM 2240 views 4 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A HOME RUN FOR ROUTER TEMPLATES No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I used this tape and had to say WOW!

It is an advance for the art of router templates like i have never seen. You tear off a piece of this tape and attach it to your router template. Peel off the backing paper and place the template on the wood you want to rout. The tape holds strong and when you are done, you pick off the template and it pops off with zero adhesive left on the wood.. No more scraping adhesive, no more lacquer thinner to remove the adhesive, no more crazy sanding. This is amazing.

I saw it at the Woodcraft store and had to get a roll. The guy there explained that the side you attach to the template has a strong adhesive but the side under the paper you peel off has low adhesion but really strong shear strength.. In other words things barely stick to it unless there is a bit of top pressure and it then can’t move side to side.

Anyhow, I got saw dust on the tape so I had to replace it with a new piece. Taking care to keep it clean though, I used a new piece of tape and was able to reuse the same tape on my template 3 more times without replacing the tape. Now my Mr. Science brain went to work.. This stuff is cool.. I took a thin veneer I couldn’t have sanded in my drum sander and attached it to some mdf and ran it through perfectly.. then I picked it up and didn’t crack the veneer.. Score!

Sorry for sounding so giddy, but this was the first really cool thing I’ve seen in woodworking in a long time.

You have to get some if you do any routing. I plan to play with it for more stuff. You can see it on the woodcraft site as follows:

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 09-13-2013 12:41 AM

Looks really useful. Might have to pick up a roll.

-- Allen, Colorado

View Mark Gipson's profile

Mark Gipson

171 posts in 2039 days

#2 posted 09-13-2013 12:48 AM

Have you tried it with a MDF template? Does it come off the MDF OK? The only double sided tape I found in Thailand sticks far too well to MDF, it’s very hard to remove the template from the work and impossible to remove the tape from the MDF!

#3 posted 09-13-2013 12:51 AM

I used an mdf template and it came off perfectly.. even the strong adhesive seems to remove easily.. just not as easily as the removable side.. Of course I didnt leave it on for a really long time.. I don’t know if that adhesive would set up to be stronger over time.

View Mark Gipson's profile

Mark Gipson

171 posts in 2039 days

#4 posted 09-13-2013 12:55 AM

Sounds good, I will have to add some to my next order and give it go.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#5 posted 09-13-2013 11:16 AM

Sounds nice but $30 a roll?
Come on now.
I’ll stick with my $8/roll carpet tape. So long as you don’t leave the pieces stuck together longer than 24 hours it comes off cleanly, mdf included.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View MontanaBob's profile

MontanaBob

#6 posted 09-13-2013 11:49 AM

I’m going to give it a try….

-- To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future

#7 posted 09-13-2013 11:51 AM

I used carpet tape once and thought the adhesive was off.. got a healthy surprise when I put my finish on … Ruined a 200 dollar piece of waterfall bubinga veneer… 30 bucks for 50 feet would have been a bargain since i only would have used a few inches…

#8 posted 09-13-2013 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info, carpet tape is a mainstay in my shop.
The carpet tape at Lowe’s is good too. It runs about $9 for a 75 ft. roll.
I use it on every project, and have never had any finishing problems with it.

#9 posted 11-17-2013 07:08 PM