“Carving Woodspirits: Beyond the Basics” By Susan L. Hendrix and Paul “PJ” Peery

Review by philphoto posted 09-12-2013 01:29 PM 2373 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
“Carving Woodspirits: Beyond the Basics”  By Susan L. Hendrix and Paul “PJ” Peery No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you are interested in carving Woodspirits, and do not want to buy an entire library on the subject or you are looking for your first book on the subject—buy this book. “Carving Woodspirits: Beyond the Basics” is the most comprehensive book I have read or own, on the subject.
I have all sorts of Woodspirit books, from a variety of publishers, and authors. It seems to me that no book ever has all the information I need – until now. “Carving Woodspirits: Beyond the Basics” is the absolute best book on the subject. Many authors will tell you to cut like “this” and give a couple of face position techniques. Most authors will give you step by step directions, but Hendrix and Peery have gone to great lengths to ensure you understand the front – side (profile)—why and where of every part and cut and when to apply the technique. Photographs and diagrammed photos are (my best guess) 50% of the book content. If you need photos and diagrams—this is your book. One page is devoted to tools and that is it, and that is fine with me. I want technique and a clear understanding of “Carving Woodspirits, I do not want to pay for a sales pitch on tools I already have. There are many pages with marked up color photographs, all devoted to face proportions, how to arrive at them and how to execute the cuts. The book concludes with a nice collection of patterns for carving a new woodspirit walking stick. “Carving Woodspirits: Beyond the Basics” delivers the goods like no other carving book I know of.
I assure you, I get nothing whatsoever, if this book succeeds or fails—I have my copy—I am not a professional or paid reviewer. I am not connected to Treeline or the publisher in any way. I am a very happy customer. If you buy this book, I am sure you will be happy as well.

To my knowledge this book is only available from Treeline. If there are other resellers I am unaware of who they would be. http://www.treelineusa.com/carving-woodspirits-beyond-the-basics.html for $17.95.

View philphoto's profile

philphoto

View doordude's profile

doordude

#1 posted 09-12-2013 06:36 PM

sounds like a good how to book, for a winter project for me.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 09-12-2013 07:29 PM

This was a very helpful review for me. I don’t have the book but I’ll probably get it. Thanks

helluvawreck aka Charles