The MLCS Multi Joint System

Review by Blackie_ posted 221 days ago 2148 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The MLCS Multi Joint System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As a new adventurous into box joint, joinery and after study and research I optioned for the router table version The MLCS Multi Joint System as for me swapping out a router bit is much more to my liking apposed to swapping out a tablesaw blade plus it’s easier and leaves a cleaner cut. I’ve had this system for a good bit and after trial and error during the learning phase, I now have a good grasp on how it works, am pleased with how it preforms, it’s ease in use and ready to write a review on it, once I got the hang of it I’ve been making flawless joints that look very professional, the bits I use are Whiteside up-spiral bits, I’ve learned that practically all of the box joint jigs work on the same principle be it tablesaw or router table it’s just a matter of ones liking and preference be it tablesaw or router table though I have heard that a router bit leaves a cleaner cut as mentioned earlier, I believe that all jigs share the same principle in that they work or use a key and spacing system and in order to have a smooth joint the spacing has to be precise any minute fluctuation in the spacing can leave for a bad joint, 1. A gap between each pin (box joint) and slot is caused by a key (spacing) that’s too close to the bit meaning when first setting up for the cut depending on the size of your joints when spacing between the bit and the guide pin or guide bar the spacing was to close between the two, 2. If the pins (box joint) won’t fit in the slots at all, the key was setup too far away from the router bit when spacing between the guide pin or guide bar, 3. If you have an offset from the top and bottom of the box sides this is caused by not having the workpiece fully seated against the key before making the cut.

The MLCS system offers 1/4” 3/8” and 1/2” joints along with sliding dove tails, it is packaged with everything you need to make these cuts including a 5 PC brass bar set-up 1/8” 3/16” 1/4” 3/8” 1/2” does not come with router bits, all-in-all I am very pleased with it.

NOTE The only thing that’s misleading when watching the video is setting up the height of the bit, do not use the brass bar, use the work piece you are cutting by laying it flat up against the bit and measuring the height to just a 64th or less above the work piece.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Thanks, Randy. iI looks like you are using it on a lot of projects now. Good review!...........Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!!

View Roger's profile

Nice review Randy.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Nice, thorough review. I’m glad that the system works well for you as evidenced by your recent projects.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

Sounds like you got yourself a good jig Randy. I guess we will be seeing more projects with box joint fittings now.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

Thanks great job