Great Clamps, Thank you Bessey!

Review by The Box Whisperer posted 09-09-2013 03:03 PM 1404 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Great Clamps, Thank you Bessey! Great Clamps, Thank you Bessey! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After applying online to be a product tester, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response from a Bessey employee. Apparently I had made the “cut” and they wanted me to review their clamps. I was thrilled, as every good woodworker out there has said, you can never have enough clamps. The interactions with the employee were very friendly, and I was asked which products among the auto adjust toggle clamps I would like to try. I picked out 8 clamps and waited like a kid at Christmas eve….

When the clamps arrived, I was impressed right off the bat with the weight of the box. Good sign! All of the clamps are incredibly well machined, with no visible flaws at all. the hinge mechanism is smooth, and the rubber grips are comfortable, and also don’t feel like they are about fly off like you find on cheaper clamps. One of the best things about these clamps, is indeed the auto adjust feature. Meaning no more resetting the clamp every time you change stock size. In my world, toggle clamps are for jigs, and I put wood of all sizes on my jigs. The jig itself is designed to save time, and now these clamps allow me to save time on my time saving jig! I love it!

The clamping force on the units I received were 450 lbs and 900 lbs, which is perfect for the type of work I do. I see all kinds of uses for these clamps, from hold downs on the drill pres or radial arm saw, or adding push toggles to my cutting board jig, eliminating the need for bar clamps. The flip down toggles make great hold downs when mounted to a bench apron, and if you mount it on a plate and run t-track on your apron, you can move it anywhere. I find myself not wanting to tie down any of these clamps permanently, as their versatility is a strong point with my work.

Most of what I do is small box work and custom furniture, and I can appreciate quality when I’m holding it in my hands. These clamps are heavy duty, well made and will probably outlast me. I would buy more in a heartbeat. I own and use some cheaper low end clamps, and I will say you get what you pay for. These things rock! Thanks very much to Bessey!

-- "despite you best efforts and your confidence that your smarter and faster than a saw blade at 10k rpm…. your not …." - Charles Neil

View The Box Whisperer's profile

The Box Whisperer

1 comment so far

View GoBlu's profile

GoBlu

#1 posted 04-29-2014 01:11 AM

I got one of these to use on my Kreg Jig. Peachtree sells a bracket that makes it quite easy. I really appreciate this deisgn for the repetitive clamping you do when cutting a lot of pocket holes. Good quality.