Gunning for Shop Safety and Comfort

Review by DeLayne Peck posted 09-07-2013 06:01 AM 2479 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gunning for Shop Safety and Comfort No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When you have a tricky cut on the table saw, both hands on a router or lathe tool – you can count on it – that’s when a fly will start biting. And, that’s when I stop and reach for the Bug-A-Salt. Biting insects are a serious distraction and a matter of shop safety and comfort.

What’s a Bug-A-Salt? It is a lot of fun, but not a toy. It’s a high quality plastic, pump-action mini shotgun. A top fill container holds a couple table spoons of table salt. Racking the pump handle loads a pinch of salt and compresses an internal spring. A plastic sight pops up to indicate it’s cocked. Click the safety off and your ready to go gunning for REVENGE.

Does it work? Yes, the gun fires salt at a high velocity. The pattern spreads like a shotgun which limits it’s effective range. The manufacture claims 34”, that would be a lucky shot. Inside 2 ft, it will murder or maim most insects. The sights are accurate and accuracy matters. The more high velocity salt you can place on target the better.

The most effective way to rid your shop of flies? Probably not. Fun? Absolutely. But, it is pricey at $39.95 with free shipping from Amazon. Google might find a better deal.

How do you justify the cost? Well, I used unit pricing. The first fly cost me 40 bucks. After that they are all free.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

#1 posted 09-07-2013 07:31 AM

I hope all your tools are stainless steel.

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

385 posts in 2087 days

#2 posted 09-07-2013 12:24 PM

what’s it cost to reload? Do you need to register it? Can you conceal it legally?

-- Scott, Irmo SC

#3 posted 09-07-2013 01:48 PM

I protect all the tools in my detached two stall garage with Boeshield, Toolguard, and paste wax.

After 50 shots or so, a reload with two table spoons of ordinary table might cost a penny. No registration necessary, but it’s not to be joked around with and kept away from children. It is legal to conceal. The Bug-A-Salt is hefty and about 18 inches long. Flies are everywhere. So, I carry mine down the front of my pants when I leave home.

Ownership is restricted to fun-loving nut types.

View Makarov's profile

Makarov

#4 posted 09-07-2013 03:54 PM

I have used a pellet gun with out a pellet just a blast of air to do the same thing.

-- "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult." Georgy Shragin Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#5 posted 09-07-2013 04:23 PM

Sounds great fun.

Here in the UK, I use this spring-loaded ‘gun’

and sometimes one of these electro-static racquets

The first one gets more hits – the racquet tires me out when waving at the pesky critturs!

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#6 posted 09-07-2013 05:25 PM

I never imagined such a thing but it looks like blast!

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6S1EWmHT5E

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View Melman's profile

Melman

#7 posted 09-07-2013 06:07 PM

What a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Do you think we can convert a sandblaster to use salt and we can kill more flies!!!

-- "All good stories cost you blood or money" - Pat Finney

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

#8 posted 09-07-2013 06:20 PM

I needed one of these the other night. A monster black widow moved in because of all the rain and set up shop. Thought the wife was going to lose her mind. I could have seriously been a hero with one of these. Hard to look manly when the closest shoe is a girly tennis shoe. This, a pair of shades, and an ammo belt full of salt shakers would have landed some serious lovin.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#9 posted 09-08-2013 01:19 AM

That looks like a lot of fun! The U Tube vids are quite entertaining.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#10 posted 09-08-2013 02:00 AM

Nat, I am rolling on the floor LMAO. An ammo belt with salt shakers, you’re killing me.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1578 posts in 1947 days

#11 posted 09-08-2013 02:37 AM

I once saw an article about an old-school gunsmith named A. O. Niedner who had built (among a lot of other innovative things) a smoothbore .22 with rounds loaded with cornmeal for shooting flies. He built it for a man who had been an avid bird hunter, but who had become confined to a wheelchair.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

#12 posted 09-08-2013 06:05 AM

I spent one summer on my back in the driveway removing rust from my VW Bus with a sand blaster. Barn swallows had built a nest nearby on my garage. They would constantly swoop at me. The turf war turned nasty. They would dive in strafing run. I would roll over and shoot at them with the sand blasting gun. The battle looked like a Pearl Harbor scene from Tora, Tora, Tora.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13050 posts in 1990 days

#13 posted 09-08-2013 07:04 PM

For some reason I never get flies in my shop. I suppose they don’t like sawdust.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Roger's profile

#14 posted 09-09-2013 05:51 PM

R.I.P. = All those bad/nasty bugs!! :)

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net