The very best super glue you will ever use.

Review by Rick M. posted 319 days ago 3056 views 4 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The very best super glue you will ever use. The very best super glue you will ever use. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have used a lot of CA glue brands over the years, all the name brands, some generics, and some speciality brands that were popular among model builders but Loctite Professional is the creme de la creme of super glues. Apparently they set a world record for super glues by holding up a billion pounds or something with a few drops but my needs are more modest.
Here’s what you want to know:

1. $6 /bottle (20g)
2. It will actually stick things together nearly instantly, so tightly you can’t pull them apart. I know every CA glue is supposed to do this but most of them don’t.
3. The nozzle doesn’t plug up. I accidentally left the cap off for almost 24 hours and the nozzle didn’t plug nor did the glue harden.
4. The cap doesn’t get glued to the nozzle. Even if you tip it upside down or it accidentally gets left on it’s side.

Note: Loctite makes more than one kind of super glue. My daughter bought a different kind, Loctite Ultra or something like that. It’s good but not as good. The Professional is what you want.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

Thanks, Rick, will give it a try!

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View Richard Miller's profile

Richard Miller

If I can find it I’ll try it thanks

-- Dick F,Burg Iowa

View Airframer's profile

Airframer

Use it all the time. Just like the review says… great stuff!

-- Eric - http://theidiotgaloot.com

View OakHill's profile

OakHill

Rick: I strongly agree with you about the Loctite product line.
The Ultra Gel is thicker and remains raised (rather than level out) so that I can lay in a pewter insert “into” it and have the gel surround portions of the pewter casting for a positive grip.

The cost seems high but when compared to the peace of mind in knowing that my product arrives at the customer intact after going thru the shipping and handling process, it is worth the price. Customer satisfaction is worth more than trying to save a few pennies.

It also works great in the shop for making quick alterations to jigs and for everyday fixes around the house.

-- John, Illinois, http://OakHillWoodCreations.com

View BBF's profile

BBF

Oakhill John let’s not forget that when you nick yourself with your plane or chisel it stops the bleeding very quickly. Don’t ask how I know.

-- I've never been disappointed buying quality but I have been disappointed buying good enough.

View patron's profile

patron

12953 posts in 1937 days

thanks rick

i have used various types to
and have tubes (hard as a rock)
in drawers waiting for later
most are only good got one time (if that)

will get this next time
would be nice to have some that really works

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

I used this stuff and some string to eliminate arbor shaft ply on my cabinet saw. I pulled the arbor out to open the gap and tightly wound fine string in the gap then put a few drops of loctite on the string,. It soaked it up like a sponge and when hardened totally eliminated the play. This stuff is right up there with duct tape and WD 40.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

Rick, if you say it’s the best, then I believe you. The fact that it doesn’t dry up once you use it, is worth the money itself. Thanks for the tip.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

Rick M.

Thanks, I should have added that I’ve been using it for a couple months which for me is a record for the cap not gluing itself on or the applicator gluing itself shut. And it has been setting on a shelf in my shop where the daytime temps probably approach 100d some days.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Thanks Rick, I have waited HOURS for the Titebond Instant to dry/cure! Have you used a thicker formula that will fill a tiny gap?

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

Rick M.

I have used quite a few gap filling super glues but not Loctite brand.

Years ago I used to build realistic scale models (like I’ve put 30-40 hours into an airplane cockpit) and I wish I’d had this back then.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

The loctite line is pretty good but I still think that hobby class cyanoacrylate glues (super glues) are better because you can buy them in many different formulias, sizes, and even one toughened by rubber, which makes it less brittle.

If you have a hobby shop near by check out the selection.

Black Rubber toughened CA Glue http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc118.htm

Clear Rubber toughened http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc120.htm

Rick M.

Pat, I’ve used Insta- brand although not the rubber toughened. It was my go-to brand back in the model days. Insta- is very good brand but had the same problems as every other brand with the cap sticking, the nozzle clogging, and not really being instant. Loctite Professional is superior in every way as a general adhesive.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I have to disagree here. I use CA a lot. I’ve used this, but IMO it doesn’t compare to Stick Fast or my personal favorite 2P10. I actually like the slowish cure. I use CA quite a bit – especially in turning. When gluing up segments I like a slower set. I also keep accelerator on hand if I want an instant set.

I’ve found that with wood, an instant set isn’t very strong. I don’t think it penetrates quick enough. For plastics or other non-porous materials, it may be advantageous.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

Rick M.

There are definitely going to be applications where a slower set is preferable. Most people use yellow glue for segments but I guess the advantage of ca glue would be no clamping time.