Grizzly Sander

Review by brunob posted 06-09-2008 04:04 AM 4475 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Had a little extra cash in my pocket so couldn’t resist a trip to Grizzly in Williamsport. I’ve been thinking about a drum sander for some time. I made the purchase.

It’s very heavy – takes at least two people to put it together. What was amazing was that it was perfect right out of the box. The conveyer tracked right on and no adjustment was needed for the drum. I have not changed the sandpaper yet but it appears straight foreword. A nice feature is that it has it’s own dust collection bag. Seems to work well so far.

There was a small crack in one of the plastic covers. I called Grizzle. I had a new cover in two days by UPS.

Glad I got it. I’ve used it quite a few times already. Several have noted that they use it on every project – they were right. Should have gotten it sooner.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View brunob's profile

brunob

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 06-09-2008 05:25 AM

Nice looking sander. Thanks for the review.

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

#2 posted 06-09-2008 05:21 PM

Looks like a nice unit and i bet the price was good at Grizzly …..So this one has the dust collection port and a bag is connected to that port … Can you also, if you want, connect a dust collector to that port ? ...Sanders generate SO much dust.
I have been looking at this one ….I would love to hear your comments a month from now or 6 mo down the road …on how you like it …
A friend of mine has a Jet 22-44 and that works really slick …but of course the Jet is about $500 more !
...Thanks for posting …

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#3 posted 06-09-2008 09:09 PM

please come back to review it again after a months use. I would like to hear how it holds up.

-- making sawdust....

#4 posted 06-10-2008 04:37 AM

it’s got to be better than the P.O.S. Delta X5 that I am stuck with…..Tried to adjust it a thousand times and it still isn’t right ….won’t sand evenly across the width of the drum and the operation of the height adjuster is about as smooth as Barbed Wire !!! Cheap plastic gears and flimsy 1/4” adjuster rod combined with a large cast iron crank wheel just spells disaster waiting to happen…Let me know how this Grizzly works out for you in a few months : )

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#5 posted 06-10-2008 05:08 AM

I considered a Grizzly since I already own 2 Grizzly machines, but since we are a Jet dealer, and I get a very good deal on tools that I buy for myself, I got Jet 16-32. I bet going there and buying it saved you a bunch on shipping. Man shipping nowadays can be as much as the machine!! Especially with Grizzly!! I hope you like it, and please let us know how it stands up to time!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

#6 posted 06-11-2008 10:51 PM

I hope you are still happy with this machine 6 mo.s from now. I have there spindle sander and find changing spindles a chore. Thanks for the post.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

#7 posted 06-12-2008 10:57 AM

This is a nice review. I have one of these on my wish list and have always liked Grizzley tools. I will definately have to strongly consider this sander (if I can get my wife to give me an advance on my allowance). :)

View Sac's profile

Sac

#8 posted 01-09-2009 03:11 PM

Well it has been sometime now since you have had this drum sander. How about an update? I have several Grizzly tools in the shop. palm sander,Band saw and spindle sander. I really do like thier products. I have been looking at drum sander’s for a few months. It will be a couple of more before I will have enough saved to get one. The Grizzly, Performax and Jet will be one of my choices. either an 18” or a 22-44 will be added sometime this summer.

Thanks for the review!

-- Jerry

View Jonathan Alson's profile

Jonathan Alson

#9 posted 08-09-2011 05:36 PM

Anyones interested, you can read a whole load more reviews over at drum sander reviews . Adding more and more as time goes on, and its building up quite nicely. I like how they focus on actual consumer feedback and thoughts recieved on each unit.