Powertec + Wolverine FTW

Review by Fettler posted 330 days ago 2472 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powertec + Wolverine FTW Powertec + Wolverine FTW No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received and setup my new Powertec slow speed grinder. It’s a 1/2 hp grinder that spins at 1725RPM. It comes with both 60grit and 120grit white aluminum oxide wheels (i may replace the 120grit wheel with a 60grit Norton). Total cost from Amazon was $92.09 shipped ($69.99 + $22.10 shipping). While the grinder is an import from China, It’s surprising pleasantly to use.

I’m using a cast iron stand i purchased from Harbor Freight. The Powertec is replacing a Harbor Freight high speed grinder which would rattle incessantly and end up walking around my shop. In comparison, the Powertec is glassy smooth with no vibration. Out of the box the wheels seem very balanced (i see no need for a one-way wheel balancer).

To mount the grinder to the pedestal I constructed a base out of scrap pieces of 3/4” plywood. The grinder is bolted to the pedestal using 3/8” x 4” #10 bolts, slip washers, 1 1/4”x3/8” washers and 3/8” nuts. The plywood base is screwed in with 1” screws with 1” washers.

The tool rests that comes with the Powertec are fairly small and difficult to adjust, which seems to be the norm for grinders. I’ve replaced the tool rest on the 60 grit stone with a one-way wolverine rest. The 120 grit stone is still using the smaller tool rest which might come in handy when dealing shorter chisels.

My first test subject was an older plane iron from a Stanley #5C. With very light pressure material was removed with ease. Finding an exact 25 degree angle took seconds. Leaving the iron on the stone longer than reason told me didn’t even come close to scorching it; a fete considering the thin edge of the Stanley iron. After honing a secondary/tertiary bevel on water stones (currently Norton but soon to be replaced with Shaptons) the iron is now sharper than it has ever been.

Next up… several Hock irons, a woodriver #6 Iron and 3 Lie Nielsen chisels.

-- --Rob, Seattle, WA

View Fettler's profile

Fettler

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

That’s a nice-looking grinder setup. I have one of the woodcraft slow grinders, which are now discontinued… it looks identical to this except for the label, so I bet the chinese factory just rebranded it and started selling through Amazon. Mine is a fantastic tool and gets used for lots of tasks. I’m sure yours will serve you well. The stock tool rests are terrible, so your wolverine rest will be a great improvement.

-- Allen, Colorado

View garyprott's profile

garyprott

I have a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine tool rest. I love it. I think you will too. Lie Nielsen tools are to die for. Enjoy.

-- James Krenov..."It's about a lot of little things, they do matter. Enjoy them."

View Spur's profile

Spur

Thanks for the review fettler. I saw this one at nearly half the price of the delta on amazon, and was torn on whether to get it or not because it was lacking in reviews.

-- Henryk, South Carolina

View Roadmaster's profile

Roadmaster

Coincidentally I just received the same grinder from Amazon this week, though I haven’t unboxed it. I got the same price you did. I chose this model because I was looking for the Woodcraft model that I’ve seen in many high-end wood turning videos. (For instance, I spotted one in a David Marks video.) Learning that they were discontinued, I searched high and low for something comparable and this Powertec looks darn near identical. I don’t have a Wolverine tool rest at this point, but I’m looking forward to using the grinder. (The lathe arrives here later in the month!)

-- ./kevin

View Fettler's profile

Fettler

I tried to buy the woodcraft grinder before getting this one. An employee of Woodcraft Seattle mentioned they had some production quality issues and once those issues are resolved they will be carrying the grinders again. They’ve been expecting them to be back in stock for while but so far it hasn’t come to fruition.

-- --Rob, Seattle, WA