dustcutter II dust collection system paired up with ridgid TS3650

Review by yrob posted 353 days ago 2449 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
dustcutter II dust collection system paired up with ridgid TS3650 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a small shop and use a Ridgid TS3650 contractor style table saw. Dust collection has always been a problem. I have tried enclosing the saw with hardboard pieces in the past but this makes it impossible to tilt your blade as the motor sticks out.

I recentlly bought this product, the Dustcutter II from Woodcraft. It is basically a dust bag shaped like a funnel with a 2 1/4” port at the end. It attaches to the table saw from the inside by velcro.

The installation guide says that you have to flip the saw on its back, sand the inside of your saw, clean up with water and then adhere the velcro. After 24h of curing the velcro glue, you can attach the bag, flip the saw back on its feets and you are good to go.

That saw is 300lbs+. Flipping it requires removing the fence and then its a two man operation. I did not want to do that. Instead I was able to simply crawl under and install the velcro that way. Only took a few rounds of swearing.

Once installed, you can use it either by attaching a vacuum to it or periodically empty it via the port (there is a plug on it) or even a zipper. You can also run with the zipper on and put a bucket underneath to collect the dust.

I was not too keen on using the bucket technique because of course, you would still breeze the sawdust. Instead, I tested it by attaching by Ridgid 6.5HP vacuum to it. It works beautifully! The suction is enough that I can feel it from above the table saw through the insert (I have a zero clearance insert so this helps. There is only a small gap between the blade and the insert).

I tried ripping some 2×4 for a while and it collected the vast majority of the dust. Even with the back of the saw opened, the funnel shape combined with the powerful vacuum pretty much sucked all the dust and barely anything escaped from the back opening where the motor sticks out.

I highly recommend this to people who have contractor saws and have been trying to mitigate the dust.

-- Yves

View yrob's profile

yrob

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

I have a similar bad on my table saw. Does not have the port for the vacuum. I still get some dust out the back, but 90% goes into the bag. I purchased mine from Harbor Freight. I highly recommend getting one of these.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

I used this for a while before I got a better saw. This is definitely an amazing product.

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

Nice review, Looks to be a worthwhile addition as Contractor style saws are notorious for creating dust and exhausting it. It might be worth your time to upgrade your Vac to a Hepa filter to avoid pumping anything really small back into the air.
Retrowood