The Luthier's Best Friend can help all handymen/women and woodworkers too!

Review by rdwile posted 08-29-2013 08:18 PM 2510 views 5 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

The Luthier's Best Friend can help all handymen/women and woodworkers too! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I suggested some time ago that Lee Valley carry luthier’s binding tape, as it has usefulness for many of us on a day to day basis. After some searching they were able to track down a supplier and have offered it for sale on their store.

Here’s an example of I use it in the guitar shop:

This tape is quite simply indispensable for any woodworker and likely most home’s toolbox. The tape is strong enough to wrap around a joint and not break, while having some elasticity helping to close up a joint and not leave residue when it is removed.

The Lee Valley Video also shows it use.

I highly recommend a roll of this (or a few!) for everyone, it will not tear easily like regular masking tape, yet remove easily when done without any sticky residue left behind. I have a few rolls in my shop and always have a roll in my toolbox to take when I help those buddy’s that I do not allow to touch my tools.

This is a must have.

More details and pictures on my blog:

Rich

rdwile

View HillbillyShooter's profile (online now)

HillbillyShooter

#1 posted 08-29-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks for the information. I use the Blue Scotch Tape for projects, but could certainly use something a little stronger.

#2 posted 08-29-2013 08:47 PM

This stuff is super strong, stretchy and very sticky, yet leaves nothing behind when its job is done!!

View BenR's profile

BenR

#3 posted 08-29-2013 11:12 PM

Will have to try that out. Thanks for the review.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2012 posts in 1679 days

#4 posted 08-29-2013 11:48 PM

Richard I wonder how this tape would work when stack cutting several pieces of thin wood on the scroll saw. I use clear packing tape and spray glue the pattern to the wood.

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

#5 posted 08-30-2013 02:33 AM

Thanks for the tip, looks like it would be great for repairs

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com

#6 posted 08-30-2013 05:50 AM

Hawaiilad, this should work well, as it has some clamping like elasticity. This should hold the strips together tightly.

Rich

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#7 posted 08-31-2013 12:16 AM

Do you think it would work for small band saw box glue ups so no need for clamps?

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2012 posts in 1679 days

#8 posted 08-31-2013 12:29 AM

Thanks Rich. I didn’t think of the band saw box glue ups. Might work very good for holding the drawers and smaller pieces…will give it a try.

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#9 posted 08-31-2013 01:12 PM

Looks ideal for some of the things I do – but not available in the UK , Darn it!

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#10 posted 08-31-2013 02:21 PM

Rich – Okay you had my interest but now that Larry (Hawaiilad) indicated he is going to try it, I put my order in for 2 rolls!
Thanks again!

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

#11 posted 09-01-2013 09:42 AM

Glad to hear this is useful (maybe) for some of you. Report back so others can learn about the product more.