Rockler Pencil Set

Review by C_PLUS_Woodworker posted 359 days ago 1970 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Pencil Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am not trying to fuel the never-ending debate on marking devices…...pencils, marking knives, scalpels, etc

But, I ordered 3 of these Rockler Lead Holders……Rockler calls them “Cabinet Maker Pencil Sets….. and I really like them

I am now down to using just two marking devices (not including marking gauges)….just pencil-type stuff.

I either use these Rockler Lead Holders…..or

I use the pocket knife with the disposable blade…..and then I can go as light or as deep as I want and need.

These Rockler pencils have good “heft” to them which I really like.

The point narrows sufficiently so that you can get up against whatever you are marking.

The lead is 2 mm.

Unless you drag it over rough lumber, the lead is very strong and lead breaking is much more rare with these pencils.

The Set come with a box of 12 extra leads in a nice case.

There is also an eraser/sharpener combo that I have three of scattered around the shop and in my apron.

The eraser actually works most of the time (of course I rarely mis-mark anything)

The sharpener puts a nice point on the lead………not too long so it breaks, but long enough to get up close and mark what you want.

There is a 3” ruler on one side, which I have yet to even think about using.

I am giving this 5 Stars cuz it does what it is supposed to do well.

Anyway, I really like these things and thought I would pass that on.

P.S. Until now I was using Pental 9mm mechanical pencils.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

Those are what used to be an mechanical drawing/architect pencil, commonly made by Staedtler. I have some in a box somewhere, never thought about using them in the garage. I currently use .5 and .7 disposable mechanical pencils, but will try these 2mm versions.

Thanks for the review!

-Dave

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

There must be 70 pencils in my shop. Most times NONE of them can be found. Clean up the shop there they all are in their jar again. Start project…..GONE. This one would be no different Im afraid.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

I use Staedtler for sketching and ticonderoga for marking. The wooden pencil leads hold up much better than the 2mm leads. I think it has to do with the 2mm leads being held by such a small area.

I LOVE my Staedtler. That rockler one looks pretty cool.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

I love the Stadtler versions of these…

Treat yourself to one of these and you’ll like it even more.

Dick Blick also carries a wide range of leads that will fit any 2MM holder. Extra soft are great for roughing out, drawing triangles, etc… Extra hard are great for marking joinery when extra sharp.

Another nice accessory is a scrap of wood, approximately index card sized, with 320 grit glued on. This lets you quickly make a point with a flat side, perfect for certain joinery marks.

A neat trick with extra sharp hard leads when marking out hand work is to extend the lead and inch or so, and it fits into extremely tight spots. Just remember that the waste side of your line is the target, don’t remove any lead when cutting, and a pencil can be as accurate as anything.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

I thought my .5mm was fine enough , but .2mm I can’t imagine using without breaking.
Thanks for the review : )

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

Hey Dusty….......... it is 2.0 mm …....... not .2.

4 times thicker than your .5mm.

I agree, .2 would be like breathing lead on the wood.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

I should have known when you mentioned that it came with a sharpener ! LOL
Thanks for pointing that out : )

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

I think Staples still sells those sets if an art supply store isn’t handy. I wonder if my old rapidiograph pen sets could be used in the shop?

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Having used these in a former life I still have some but I don’t use them in the shop….yet. I also have a .5, .7, .9 in Pentel mechanical pencils but the smaller lead breaks too easily. I do like the .9 lead in the shop. I use it all the time. The lead is small enough that I get by with no point most of the time.

View traupmann's profile

traupmann

Great review, if any of you need larger diameter holders, Jetpens offers several sever with large barrels for us with more arthritic hands. The real advantage of the 2.0 mm or larger lead is that the sharpeners can make very neat work of the tip for very thin lines.

Note: I am a pencil and paper fanatic with way more supplies than needed for 2 lifetimes…

-- chas -- looking for Serta sponsorship to go Pro...