The $100 WS2000 or the $200 WS3000- What's the difference?

Review by StumpyNubs posted 08-29-2013 01:35 AM 4826 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The $100 WS2000 or the $200 WS3000- What's the difference? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love me some sharp tools, and as an increasingly lazy woodworker, I looked high and low for the perfect way to get my dull tools back to work with minimal effort, time and of course, money. I think the Worksharp may just be the perfect fit! Not only is it fast and easy to use, but it offers a tremendous bang for your buck. The only problem is, which model to choose? The WS2000 is about $100, while the WS3000 is twice the price. Is it twice the machine? Can a budget conscious woodworker get by with just the 2000 model?

Well, I own them both, and I can honestly tell you, there are differences. Some of those differences are subtle, some are very big. Let me give you a quick rundown, and then you can decide for yourself which model is best for your shop.

1. The Chisel Port: One of the key features of the Worksharp is that handy-dandy chisel port on the side. You don’t need a jig, no fussing with getting the angles right, you just stick the chisel in the slot and sharpen away. It’s my favorite feature, and while both models have a chisel port, they are not even close to equal. The WS2000 port is fixed at 25 degrees, while the WS3000 allows you to switch between four different angles from 20 to 35 degrees. This is key because you may want a sharper bevel for paring chisels, a steeper bevel for bench chisels, or a five degree micro bevel. Both systems have an adjustable fence to keep the chisel square, but the WS2000 fence is plastic and a bit flimsy, while the WS3000 has a metal fence with a micro-adjust feature. The WS2000 port accepts blades up to 1 5/8”, the WS3000 increases that to a full 2”. And while both systems have an abrasive lapping plate built into the port to remove the bur while you sharpen, the WS2000’s is a fairly course diamond abrasive, compared to the WS3000’s replaceable 400 grit sheets.

2. Edge Vision: This is one of the unique features of the Work Sharp, a slotted wheel that allows you to actually see through the sandpaper and watch the material being removed from the tool edge. It’s great for fast, freehand sharpening of turning and carving tools, but the WS2000 is a bit restrictive while the WS3000 gives you twice the space under the disc. This is a big help with turning tools especially.

3. Overheating Protection: Nothing screws up a good blade like overheating, and both WOrk Sharp models have built in protections against bluing those edges. Both include a heat sink beneath the chisel port, using air to cool the blade. And both run at slow speeds, the WS2000 at 1750 RPM and the WS3000 at a super safe 580 RPM.

4. Durability: Both systems are durable, don’t get me wrong. But the WS3000 is significantly tougher with a metal housing and a cast metal top, besides the chisel port fence mentioned earlier. The motors are the same, and I see no reason to believe the WS2000 wouldn’t last every bit as long as the WS3000, but I do like the metal features.

5. Available Accessories: Out of the box the WS3000 comes with more stuff, including a plate glass disc in addition to the slotted plastic disc. But many of the most popular accessories are available for both systems in one form or another. Both work with the same glass or plastic discs, both have an attachable knife sharpener, both accept the wide blade platform (WorkSharp says they don’t, but I tired and they do.). But the WS3000 is compatible with the Tormek/Jet tool sharpening jig bar and a few other third party accessories.

Bottom Line: Both machines are well made, and both do a great job at sharpening all sorts of tools. But the WS3000 is designed for fine woodworking while the WS2000 is target at the contractor and hobbyist. The WS3000’s larger capacity, adjustably and accessory selection makes the WS3000 well worth the extra price.

Check out the latest Stumpy Nubs Favorite Things video review for the head to head comparison and a little bit of entertainment

(NOTE: Stumpy Nubs Entertaining Reviews are NOT paid advertisements. Only products that I personally use and truely like are featured in these videos. Some products are provided by the manufacturer but no promise of a positive review is ever made and I decline to review anything that fails to meet my standards.)

(For more entertaining reviews and, of course new episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, visit Stumpynubs.com!)

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

View MarkwithaK's profile

MarkwithaK

#1 posted 08-29-2013 01:58 AM

I actually bought one of these a few years ago before I even really had anything to sharpen on it….due to a mix-up on their web site Sears had these for less than $20 one day so I figured why not. Tried it out on an old cheap Stanley chisel that had literally been used to pull nails. I was surprised that the WS300 managed to restore it to usable condition. At it’s regular price point it wouldn’t be in my budget but at $20 i was a no brainer.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View Gary's profile

Gary

7236 posts in 2087 days

#2 posted 08-29-2013 02:00 AM

Stumpy, glad you did that one. I had actually been wondering about which one to get and if the 3000 was really worth the extra. Thanks

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#3 posted 08-29-2013 02:00 AM

Can either be used to sharpen knives or scissors?

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#4 posted 08-29-2013 02:05 AM

Fatty- Both can sharpen knives and scissors but you have to get the optional attachment for it. I actually made another video for the accessories, including the knife sharpening kit. Here it is.

View MarkwithaK's profile

MarkwithaK

#5 posted 08-29-2013 02:07 AM

I do believe that there is an attachment for knives and scissors but don’t quote me on it. I have freehanded a small pocket knife on the 3000. The results were less than great but that is mainly due to me as opposed to the machine.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View DIYaholic's profile (online now)

DIYaholic

#6 posted 08-29-2013 02:17 AM

Nice review.

Had I seen your review a year ago….
I still would have bought the WS3000!!! ;^)

Great machine, well worth the money!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#7 posted 08-29-2013 02:18 AM

Thanks for the review. Love my 3000.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Dave's profile

Dave

#9 posted 08-29-2013 03:57 AM

I have a 3000 and a tormek. I use them both. The 3000 is handy and easy to use. No fuss no mess.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Roger's profile

#10 posted 08-29-2013 11:50 AM

Gr8 review Stumps. Thnx for your input/output

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#11 posted 08-29-2013 12:50 PM

This review helped me to stop pondering on a new sharpening system. The versatility and different attachments are endless. Thanks Stumpy for a great simple review.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

#12 posted 08-29-2013 06:35 PM

I was able to purchase a WS2000, ne in box, at less than half price on Craigslist. I have successfully sharpened my plane, wood chisels, knives and even a machete on it. Does not have all the bells and whistles of the WS3000, but is very useful in the workshop for any type of cutting instrument. If you can find a WS200 at a good price do not pass it up!

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#13 posted 08-29-2013 07:16 PM

Got the WS3000 it is great

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#14 posted 08-31-2013 06:35 AM

I have a box full of sharpening stuff to get rid of. I watched videos and read and read. Scary sharp? Never got there. At best, vaguely sharp. Then, the WS3000 arrived in my shop. I enjoy sharpening with it. And sharp lathe tools, chisels, and planes are a delight to work with. Used to check for sharpness with my thumb. That finally healed. Now I call in my dog. I renamed him Patches.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View 47phord's profile

47phord

#15 posted 09-02-2013 01:09 PM

Stumpy, I would like to get a WS and build your WS workstation with the MDF discs. My question is, would the WS2000 work just as well for that? Money’s tight, and I can’t part with $200 for the WS3000 but my planes are getting dull.