Orbital Work Horse

Review by dustynewt posted 06-09-2008 12:48 AM 2741 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Orbital Work Horse No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This sander was purchased because I needed one for the workshop but I also needed something to sand the floors we are refinishing in our 76 year old home. This guy proved to be a champ.

The floor I started on is about 400 sq.ft. This is pretty much how the entire floor was when we ripped up the carpet;

Carpet Adhesive

These are the results;

Floor Sanded

Floor Sanded - 1

Doorway to bedroom

This sander, $130.00 plus tax, paired with my Fein Turbo III vacuum busted through carpet adhesive, gouges and scratches in the old yellow pine floor that has cured so that you can’t even drive a nail straight. I went over the floor three times. 40, 80 and 120 grits (about $50.00 total). The sander never complained and is raring for the next floor.

I experimented a little, without reading the directions of course. The coarser grits seem to work better at slower speeds and the finer grits at faster speeds.

It might be a little overkill in the shop on the small boxes and such that I make, but when I have to hog down some rough stuff, it’ll be ready to go.

-- Peace in Wood ~ http://dustynewt.com/

View dustynewt's profile

dustynewt

#1 posted 06-09-2008 01:04 AM

Yep this is one nice sander! I’m happy with mine.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#2 posted 06-09-2008 01:12 AM

Man, that’s a lot of sanding!

View Russel's profile

Russel

#3 posted 06-09-2008 02:01 AM

First, my back and knees hurt just thinking about sanding a floor with that. Second, that’s pretty impressive work for a sander.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#4 posted 06-09-2008 02:17 AM

I can’t believe you did that with a small sander. Impressive!

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#5 posted 06-09-2008 02:50 AM

that is a lot of sanding! how long did it take?

its good to see that it can stand up to something as extreme as this. that says a lot and i think that it would be great for any shop usage, thanks for the review.

View dustynewt's profile

dustynewt

#6 posted 06-09-2008 03:45 AM

Teenagewoodworker - The sanding was done a couple hours here and there on my days off for about a month. I would estimate probably 30-35 hours. Sanding is a meditative thing for me. It is pretty brainless work and allows my mind to work on other things, so occasionally I welcome such a mundane task.

-- Peace in Wood ~ http://dustynewt.com/

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#7 posted 06-09-2008 05:21 AM

Very impressive! I was looking at one of these a while back. I can’t believe you sanded the whole floor with it – I would have attached it some how to a pole and pulled up a lawn chair and a book. LOL BTW Nice floor, for sure worth the work!

-- --Chuck

#8 posted 06-12-2008 10:54 AM

This is a nice review. I agree with Russel however that my back and knees ache from doing a floor like this. I am impressed that this sander could handle the floor, which looks good by the way. Nice job on both the review and the floor.

#9 posted 11-05-2008 12:21 AM

My update…I bought this sander less than 9 months ago and today it quit. I was really hoping to find a brand that would hold up to professional use. I only use this about once a week so it should have held up. Garbage! PLEASE QUIT BUILDING GARBAGE!!!! It seem to me that tools of all brands in the last 5 years have just gone to pot. Maybe it is just my luck, but I can’t seem to keep a tool running for over a year. I’ve had portacables and dewalts crap on me and now ridgid. Its not like I’m getting stuff from harbor freight. I”M TIRED OF BULL%$#!! Any pros having any luck with other brands?

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19453 posts in 2503 days

#10 posted 11-05-2008 02:18 AM

A big job for a small machine but it did it very well.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View ratchet's profile

ratchet

#11 posted 11-06-2008 12:07 AM

Isn’t the Ridgid warrantied for life? Have you contacted them?

#12 posted 11-07-2008 01:06 AM

They do not cover “normal wear” in their warranty. Did you expect them to stand behind their product? That is a very old fasioned idea.

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

#13 posted 11-24-2008 09:05 PM

I have this sander (the model R2610 version) and used it to smooth the finish on a bunch of solid-core, six-panel doors I installed in my place to replace some tract-home hollow versions. It did the job fine. I also used it to smooth the wood on several speaker systems I built for home use. Also worked well there.

I have not used it enough to run it into the ground, but as best I can tell it is solidly built and reliable. Certainly, you ran yours enough to test its durability. That one user has had problems does not determine a standard for reliability, and of course the fact that yours soldiered along doing a HUGE job does not determine a standard, either. Still, I am happy with mine and hopefully it will continue to work as long as I need it. You sure got your money’s worth out of yours.

There is now a newer version (I am not sure of its stock number) that has a better dust-collector hookup (I modified mine to attache to a dust collector a bit better) and with a more refined orbit-change feature. Was yours this version or the older one that I have?

Howard Ferstler

View lumberjohn's profile

lumberjohn

20 posts in 2079 days

#14 posted 01-07-2009 04:56 AM

When you read the life time warantee on the Ridgid web site, it say:

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID®Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID® Brand products.

They specify : including normal wear items…

#15 posted 01-07-2009 05:54 AM

I sanded a floor that needed to be touched up when we sold our home. I agree that it is a great workhorse.

Did you play with the orbits. Small and wider.