No More Sucking Through a Straw

Review by HillbillyShooter posted 08-27-2013 10:08 PM 1672 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
No More Sucking Through a Straw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a product I’ve been meaning to share for some time. I discovered it back in 2011 after I quit smoking and promptly developed some breathing problems. I tried various paper masks but always felt like I was trying to “suck air through a straw.” I looked at other, bulky masks but passed as being overly restrictive. Finally, I found the “Dust Bee Gone” mask and ordered one. My experience has been great with the breath ability through the material of the mask and the filtering quality. I use it in the shop to prevent sawdust getting in my lungs and I use it outdoors when I have to mow the lawn. This mask has always prevented problems and has always been comfortable. I have a beard and there are no problems whatsoever with the mask sealing to my face. It’s easy to clean up with a little soap and water, let dry and it’s ready to use again. I’ve had it going on two (2) years now and would recommend it with only one reservation. On my mask, the velcro was stitched inadequately and came apart after a couple of uses—no problem for a DIYer, but should not have happened for what the mask cost. It apparently comes in three sizes: medium, large and extra large. Something to consider.

View Roger's profile

#1 posted 08-27-2013 10:14 PM

Good timing, John. I’ve been lookin at this mask for over a year now, and, always had a hard time with the 40 bux price. I guess 40 bux isn’t that much if it help save us, right? Thnx for your review. Us beards gotta stick together…lol

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5178 posts in 1995 days

#2 posted 08-27-2013 11:33 PM

I have had this mask and other type masks for several years and haven’t worn it in a while. Need to give it another try. I found the velcreaux to be a pain to use if I take it off and put it back on frequently. Other than that it is definitely a good dust mask.

I also have a Trend Airshield that is very effective but, although lightweight, gets heavy if i wear it 8-10 hours a day.
I also have the cartridge dust masks and it always wants to ride upward on my face when looking down…messes with wearing my glasses.
Also have the disposable, better quality paper masks…but they leak around my whiskers.
I think i just might wash the dust bee gone and give it another go. Thanks for the review/reminder.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

#3 posted 08-27-2013 11:55 PM

All masks are a bit of a pain, but this one has been the least restrictive for me—besides, it does make breathing easier and makes my doctors happy so I can play in my shop. I feel it’s worth the effort to try using it. Thanks for taking the time to look and share your experiences.

P.S. Roger, I have to confess my beard is not as manly as yours (read: mine is short) but I think you will find it comfortable, easy to breath through and effective—if not, we could probably work out a swap of some kind to take it off your hands.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#4 posted 08-28-2013 12:03 AM

It looks like it will pull flatly to your face with no air gaps. The one I use had gaps and I do get some dust in when I use it. I mostly go without . Certain woods need a mask and I always use a mask spraying lacquer, but it has a big round filter on it

#5 posted 08-28-2013 12:07 AM

Jim, this isn’t for spraying as it is only designed for solid, air born particles. It does a great job filtering those small particles that escape the dust collector and haven’t reached the air filter.

View Roger's profile

#6 posted 08-28-2013 11:29 AM

I’ll keep that in mind John, thnx

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Spur's profile

Spur

#7 posted 08-28-2013 01:10 PM

I have the mask too. Works great. Like some others have mentioned, the only gripe I have is the Velcro retention system. I’ll probably mod it one day to address it, but the comfort and the effectiveness of the mask otherwise makes up for the Velcro for me.

-- Henryk, South Carolina

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#8 posted 08-28-2013 01:50 PM

I don’t want to rain on anyones parade. Any dust mask is better than no dust mask at all.

But this mask does not filter out the really fine particles, the ones that do the most damage. A hepa filter is really the best way to go along with better dust collection in the first place, but I know its not feasible for all of us, including myself. For the same price you could get a cartridge style masks that fits hepa filter cartridges. I don’t feel that they are more restrictive breathing, unless the filter is really clogged, at which point it should be replaced anyway.

View Spur's profile

Spur

#9 posted 08-28-2013 08:56 PM

No rain on my parade, this is the first one I use regularly, and I have just about every mask out there including full face. For me, it works perfect for turning (just started) and cutting/drilling. When sanding I have been trying to get in the habit of doing it outside or using a fan with an air filter duct taped to it while also using a mask. It may not be the best filter, but it is the best combination of comfortable, accessible, and easy to put on take off for me to actually use it :)

What it boils down to is it is better than the one I normally use (none).

-- Henryk, South Carolina

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#10 posted 08-29-2013 01:51 AM

I’ve had mine for over ten years, it works well, but never felt that it sealed as well as a regular mask. The bonus is that it can be washed though, and it’s held up well.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

#11 posted 08-29-2013 02:32 AM

SirFatty, maybe it works better for us guys who have beards because our whiskers provide supplemental seals? LOL

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

#12 posted 08-29-2013 03:49 PM

That might be true… it can seal pretty good if I have it tight enough, but it get’s kinda uncomfortable. Air flow is fantastic though.

I got mine at the Woodworker’s Show a long time ago, I think the woman selling them was the inventor/owner of the company. A bit of an impulse buy, as most things are at these shows.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#13 posted 08-29-2013 04:22 PM

@Bill1974 – how small are the typical saw dust particles generated by sanding, sawing, etc.?

-- Joe

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#14 posted 08-30-2013 12:44 PM

Ya can’t go wrong with the Dust Bee Gone mask I too have this mask and use it regularly,

Congrats on the quitting smoking John, it’s been just over 18 years since I quit, I was a pack a day smoker, quit on my 36th Birthday cold turkey, it was a gift to myself, they didn’t have quitting help aids back then I used a tooth pick as my aid, as long as it was in my mouth all the time LOL

I was on the phone with my uncle the other day, he’s now 85 years old and has emphysema has to be on oxygen 24/7 he blames it on his woodworking not taking care of his lungs and lectured to me himself as an example so got to take care of your lungs.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2066 posts in 1708 days

#15 posted 09-01-2013 01:20 AM

I also own and have used the Dust Be Gone for a year or so before I ended up in the Hospital with lung infection. I stopped smoking about 25 years ago so it was either shop dust or the crap coming from our active volcano here on the Island….so I purchased the Trend Air Shield (the wife would not allow me back into the shop if I didn’t buy it…not sure if she meant it or not). It does take a little time to get used to wearing it, but I find the Air Shield to be the best I have found and use. I no longer cough after working in the shop all day long of sometimes just an hour or two. Dust Be Gone…yep, better than most, but look into the Trend Air Shield to really protect your lungs…but you have to wear it

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,