Great budget square - worth 5 stars at the price

Review by paxorion posted 08-24-2013 12:53 AM 2916 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great budget square - worth 5 stars at the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For the past few months, I have been looking for a replacement to an inexpensive contractor’s combination square (a freebie I got from my in-law’s hardware store during a trip many years ago). I had the opportunity to use a Starrett at my guild shop, and convinced myself I needed a replacement. To ensure I could focus my search, I came up with 4 criteria: – A solid cast head – Etched measurements that go up to at least 1/64 intervals – A more palatable price than a Starrett – Pass the line test out of the box

After stumbling upon a Fine Woodworking review of combination squares, I was all set on finding a PEC-made square, possibly from Lee Valley. However, after having a chance to touch this square on a trip to my local Woodcraft, I started to wonder if the WoodRiver might be a good gamble. After doing my research, I stumbled upon a post on WoodTalk Online, where it seems that the WoodRiver is likely made by PEC, whose squares ranked high as value purchases in Fine Woodworking issue 229. So during the Woodcraft 85th anniversary sale, I picked one up and have been happy with it’s performance so far. This square meets all of my criteria, and is all that this new woodworker needs.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#1 posted 08-24-2013 02:55 AM

Congrats, I need to purchase a new one, all mine are from HD

-- Norman

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#2 posted 08-24-2013 12:07 PM

Well, you talked about it, but gave no review????

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Mark's profile

Mark

#3 posted 08-24-2013 02:38 PM

Thanks fer the review Pax. I’m using an old and kinda worn on the edges Stanley.

Norm. You don’t care for the sq. from HD? That was my next stop.

-- Mark

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#4 posted 08-25-2013 02:38 AM

Bogeyguy – I described what I was looking for in a square, and that the square has done all that I needed it to do. Given that there was no tuning out of the box, I have no additional praises nor complaints to highlight. Is there anything else you wanted me to go into greater detail on?

-- paxorion

#5 posted 08-25-2013 02:58 AM

A couple months ago, I checked out 3 of these squares at my local WC , and none of them were actually square.
The WC salesman was amazed by the find. I went home empty handed.