Review of Instruction offered at Lonnie Bird's School of Fine Woodworking

Review by MarkR posted 08-20-2013 12:27 AM 5501 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Instruction offered at Lonnie Bird's School of Fine Woodworking Review of Instruction offered at Lonnie Bird's School of Fine Woodworking Review of Instruction offered at Lonnie Bird's School of Fine Woodworking Click the pictures to enlarge them

Several years ago, I became interested in woodworking. I liked the idea of working with my hands and having something beautiful to give as a gift or pass down to the next generation. Since I didn’t have the slightest idea how to begin, I thought I would take a class. I found Lonnie’s school, and it was only about a 6-7 hour drive for me, I signed up for the Woodworking Essentials class. We made a shaker table, and I was hooked. Since then, I have taken three other classes at the school. Lonnie’s classes are in Dandridge TN on his property. Most of the work taught is by hand, save an occasional bandsaw or router cut. Beginning in the first class, we were introduced to sharpening tools, cutting dovetails by hand, planning off machine marks, mortising by machine, and how wood moves. In other classes, I have learned line and berry inlay with hand tools, tombstone frame and panel door making, fitting mouldings, fitting a drawer, fitting a door to the case, installation of locks and hinges, and more.
I find Lonnie’s instruction to be top notch, as well as his skills. In addition to explaining how to do something, Lonnie shows how to do it. It’s the picture is worth a thousand words thing. His method of teaching is just to jump in and get started as he will help you along. Lonnie has an easy going style, and it is easy to catch his enthusiasm about woodworking. He has every confidence that he can teach you (even me) how to make beautiful furniture.
Each class is six days of instruction from 8am to 5pm, with a Subway lunch provided. You can bring your own wood rough cut, or buy it from his associate Jason Bennett and have it waiting on you when you get to the school. Usually there are eight or nine students per class. Everyone has his/her own bench. Lonnie comes around and checks on each student individually a couple of times a day. You are free to ask questions at all times. The cost is about $ 1200.00 per class, plus wood. You bring your own hand tools. I believe it is money well spent. I find it frustrating and slow to learn on my own. But, as “they” say, the proof is in the pudding. Check out my projects to see the line and berry spice box and keepsake box I made in his classes (I also made a hanging corner cabinet, which I haven’t finished). He really can teach you to woodwork. All in all, it is a nice privilege to take a week just to woodwork in rural Tennessee. Highly recommended.

-- Mark in Va

View MarkR's profile

MarkR

317 posts in 1900 days

View doordude's profile

doordude

#1 posted 08-20-2013 02:46 AM

that’s some nice work. it does help to take classes to learn a particular technique, which shortens the learning curve by months on your own.
don’t you think so? I mean taking a class from a pro…
keep it up

View Woodtodust's profile

Woodtodust

#2 posted 08-20-2013 12:45 PM

I am planning on taking the essentials class this fall. Nice to hear from a repeat student. That says a lot about the benefits you feel you derived from his classes. The keepsake box you made is beautiful. Hopefully, I can get to that level some day.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."

View stefang's profile

stefang

#3 posted 08-22-2013 06:01 PM

Sounds great. You must be an excellent pupil judging by your work.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View AC2013's profile

AC2013

#4 posted 08-23-2013 05:04 PM

As they say, it is great to learn something new every day. Lonnie’s classes really seem to hit that mark with amazing quality end products. Great work to you Lyn.

-- AC2013, Pepperell, MA USA, http://performancepowertoolsreviews.com

#5 posted 08-28-2013 08:08 PM

My experience was not good at Lonnie Bird’s. He had some good things to offer, but they were negated by not so gracious comments about other woodworkers in his class. He also had sort of a weird manner in that if he didnt like the questions, he simply ignored them. I clearly dont have all the skill he had, but I am not dumb and resented the way he did that. I talked with him after the class and also phoned him later and let him know his performance was a B grade at best. His response was that well a B isnt so bad. Well, it was for me and my advice would be to go somewhere else.

#6 posted 08-28-2013 09:16 PM

#7 posted 08-28-2013 09:16 PM

sorry, didnt mean to post twice.

View Dexter1's profile

Dexter1

#8 posted 01-23-2014 05:11 PM

I have been interested and involved in woodworking for 35 years. The first 20 years was what I would call trial and error woodworking. I’d find plans in magazines and books and follow the printed directions with mixed results. Most of my projects were done using machines only, as per the instructions. Hand work was limited to assembly and finishing. Hand planing, hand cut dovetails, carving and the like were way beyond me knowledge. About 15 years ago, I decided to get serious and quit allowing so much of my work to end up in the wood stove because of errors. I started taking wood working classes from several instructors in the eastern U.S. All were excellent craftsmen but their teaching methods varied. I noticed that most would never be critical of students work or technique, even in a constructive way. That’s what I preferred. I wanted someone to push me to strive for the best of my abilities and not make me feel satisfied with something that could have been done better. With woodworking, each step of the process determines the quality of the next step. If your drawer opening isn’t square, a squarely made drawer won’t fit. After 12 years of continuous classes at Lonnie Bird’s school, I can say that his instruction is tops. At times I have been satisfied with a single task completed on a project. He wasn’t and asked me to do it over. Regretfully, many times this has happened because of my lack of personal expectations. But after DOING IT RIGHT I was happy I was pushed to improve the quality and improve my skill level. I’m paying to learn and not just get by. As my son who is a professional pilot says, “Fairly close on take offs and landings isn’t survivable. Only repeated “right on the mark” take offs and landings are. I know my hobby isn’t as critical as passengers in a multi million dollar aircraft, but learning to push my expectations in woodworking has carried over to other aspects of my life. I left the “Bell Curve” grading system in high school. In woodworking, I want my personal grade to be earned as a result of my newly learned skills. Lonnie Bird has help me do that.

-- Rex, Bellefonte, PA

View JimDraper's profile

JimDraper

#9 posted 09-18-2014 09:11 PM

I too took Lonnie’s Woodworking Essentials class last spring and found it helpful. Lonnie is not without his strong opinions, both on furniture styles and other woodworkers (as Stevo mentions above), but he would be the first to admit it. The class was expensive and involved a lot of travel for me, but I did learn some new tricks.

For a complete review of the class (if you are interested in taking it) take a look at the page on my site that I posted afterward (warts & all): http://draperjim.com/LonnieBirdClass.html

-- jimd

View dmullinsdms's profile

dmullinsdms

#10 posted 09-19-2015 02:16 PM

My experience was not positive. I took the woodworking fundamental class and found Lonnie’s approach to be arrogant and scripted. His teaching style is “I’m a master. I’ll show you once, then you do it. At some point, I may come by your station and critique you, but don’t ask me to show you again.”

Most questions were met with disdain (“I already showed you”) or reference to a future class (“you’ll want to sign up for another class if you want to know how to do that”) or book (“buy my new book, and it will show you how to do that”).

Sometime on the first afternoon, he went around to each student (I think there were 9 of us) for a little introductory chat. He asked about my interests and I said “woodworking is a nice diversion from my professional responsibilities.” He said, “so, you must not really be interested,” and walked away. Given the constant references and pressure to sign up for subsequent courses, it really seemed that he had no interest in a “hobby woodworker” like me (i.e., someone who wouldn’t be likely to sign up for a lot of additional courses). So, the class entitled “woodworking fundamentals” is really designed as a week-long advertisement for Lonnie’s subsequent classes and product endorsements. The novice woodworker would not come away with any appreciable skills from this course.

Two illustrative anecdotes on Lonnie’s attitude:

First, at the end of one of the classes, Lonnie mentioned that he had a new book coming out soon, and he tasked us to all go on Amazon and leave 5-star reviews (even though none of us has seen the book). The next day, he made several snarky comments to the class that he’d looked at Amazon that morning and was disappointed that nobody had uploaded reviews for the book. He said, “I was planning something special for the class, but I’ve reconsidered whether you guys deserve it.” (Later, it was revealed that the “something special” was to be taken inside his house [which is connected to the workshop/school] to see a clock he had built.)

Second, before the class began, he sent a tool list. As someone new to the craft, I purchased all new tools. For some of the tools, there were several different options (i.e., “buy a bench plane from Company A or Company B”). When I arrived, he looked over my tools and commented “why didn’t you bring the tools I suggested?” I told him that I had everything on the list, and that all of my tools were among his recommendations. He said, “oh, I have to list several options, so I don’t offend any of the toolmakers by leaving them off the list, but you should have known not to buy ‘that’ plane,” (even though it was one of the listed suggestions).” In other words, he only wanted us to buy tools from vendors that he works with, and somehow we were supposed to know that. Having brought the “wrong” tools seemed to, again, mark me as someone who was not worthy of his attention in the remainder of the course. Over the course of the 5 day class, I had about 15-20 minutes of one-on-one instruction time with Lonnie.

After the course, I followed up with emails to express my concerns about several issues. A few days later, Lonnie phoned, but his tone was accusatory and abrasive as he tried to defend and justify his approaches and blame me for any problems. He finally said, “well, I can’t please everyone” and hung up.

Overall, I found the experience to be poorly informative. I ended up with a rudimentary side table and a nice collection of tools, but not enough training to efficiently or effectively use them without taking more classes. The arrogance of the instructor was sufficiently off-putting that I would not be tempted to take additional courses in this school.

#11 posted 09-19-2015 02:45 PM

Super review Mark ,it looks like you have learned your lessons well based on your very nice projects, since you’re in VA you might want to check out Charles Neil’s classes too.

dmullinsdms
If you’re in the area you might investigate Charles classes also.