Precise and Versatile TrackSaw

Review by scarpenter002 posted 08-18-2013 01:00 AM 4096 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Precise and Versatile TrackSaw Precise and Versatile TrackSaw Precise and Versatile TrackSaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this Dewalt TrackSaw kit last year for Christmas. I purchased this specifically for larger projects that require sheet goods, such as the New Yankee Miter Saw Bench & Cabinets I am building. (See my blog here.)

Shipping:
This tool was shipped directly from Dewalt Due to the length of the 102” track, it was shipped via freight. There was some confusion in the shipping process. requiring me to contact the local freight company to schedule delivery. The saw was attached to a small pallet and the long track was encased in a wood box. Everything was in wonderful condition when unwrapped.

Pros:

Tracks:
  • Both tracks are very rigid delivering straight cuts
  • Zero-Clearance splinter guard delivers splinter free cuts on the fence side
  • Two fence sizes support ripping a 96” sheet or cross-cutting the 48” width
TrackSaw:
  • Has nice depth stop adjustment (shown in third picture)
  • Has bevel adjustment up to 47 degrees (shown in third picture)
  • Has a standard 1 1/4” dust port. With my vac attached, sawdust is minimal.
  • Has plunge cut and riving knife
  • 6 1/2” blade, support cut depth up to 2 1/8” at 90 degrees
Accessories:
  • Comes with a case for the saw
  • Additional optional accessories can be added such as track clamps, router attachment, and miter gauge. (Please see my other reviews for the track clamps and router attachment.)
Cons:
  • Some splintering on the outside of the blade (i.e. away from the track)
  • Tracks could be a few inches longer to provide full support at the start and finish

Summary:
I love this saw. I have used it extensively on my miter bench project. Even though I have listed a couple of minor cons, it is not enough to justify marking it down a star. I expect to get many years of work out of this kit.

Thanks for reading.

-- Scott in Texas

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

#1 posted 08-18-2013 09:49 PM

“6 1/2” blade” Would be enough for me to whack it down a star or 2. Shame on them for using a bastard blade instead of a 7 1/4 that you probably have a collection of.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#2 posted 08-19-2013 12:30 AM

Thanks for the post. Looks like a nice track saw.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View brtech's profile

brtech

#3 posted 08-19-2013 01:05 PM

All the track saws use that blade. Festool, Dewalt, Makita, Scheppach/Grizzly. They are all 160 mm (6 1/2”). The blades seem to be interchangeable.

View MarkwithaK's profile

MarkwithaK

370 posts in 1932 days

#4 posted 08-19-2013 02:21 PM

Not sure that I would label a 6 1/2” blade as a bastard size. My old B&D circ saw used that same size and they were fairly common when i went in search of a replacement blade.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 08-19-2013 03:43 PM

nice saw.

Shawn – these saws are built for working with sheet goods, they are not framing saws and won’t really benefit much from a 7-1/4” blades. so I would not consider the provided blade size as a ‘con’ per Se.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#6 posted 08-21-2013 12:02 PM

I’d love a track saw. If I thought I’d use it more than once or twice a year, I’d have already bought one. Hopefully I’ll stuble across an incredible deal on the makita/dewalt/festool. I just could justify paying $400 for a seldom used tool. Although, if i ever sell my jointer the tracksaw (w router attachment), could mostly fill that void.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#7 posted 08-21-2013 01:17 PM

I got the Sheppach (same at the Grizz) for $120 with two 25” rails on a Woot deal a fellow jock pointed us to. I’ve used it a couple of times and it’s a very nice tool. No doubt the Dewalt, Makita and Festool are better, but the Sheppach works fine. The track is very short, and I find that with the one rail connector included it doesn’t stay very straight. I’m going to try two connectors soon.

If you break down sheet goods, this is a much better tool for the job than a circ saw. I really, really like being able to put the edge of the track ON the cut line and have it cut right there. I find I get a much better cut than using my circ saw with an edge guide. It’s straighter and the edge is cleaner. YMMV.

Having the 102” track would be great, but I don’t think it will fit my Sheppach. I’ll probably get a Grizz 55 and then end up using both my 25s and the Grizz 55 for long cuts. Not ideal, but I think it will work okay with two connectors holding the pieces straight. I don’t make that many full length cuts anyway.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#8 posted 08-24-2013 01:39 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I have been using this saw like mad, breaking down 5 sheets of 3/4 ply, 4 sheets of 1/2 ply, and a 1/4 ply on my current project. Also used the track and router attachment to groove 5 sheets of plywood siding, which was about 60 8’ passes, to complete the interior of my shop. I also used the tracksaw to cut those sheets to size.

Let me define breaking down, I cut the majority of my plywood pieces to the final size. This saw is extremely accurate. Only a few small pieces are completed on the table saw. As other have mentioned, this is for sheet goods, so only being able to cut to a depth of 2+ inches is not an issue. I have other tools for dealing with thicker stock.

-- Scott in Texas

View 03roadking's profile

03roadking

#9 posted 10-24-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks for posting this review.
I ordered the kit that comes with the 59” track and also ordered a second 59” track. UPS should be dropping it off today!
I used my porter cable circ saw along with some shop made saw guides for a few years. They worked great but any time I used that setup to make a cut in my garage the saw dust was all over the freakin place. One of the big reasons why I bought this saw is for its dust collection capabilities. I look forward to making cuts in my garage without all of the dust.