Almost Magical

Review by pintodeluxe posted 381 days ago 3286 views 11 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost Magical Almost Magical No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Rockler Locking Miter bit for 3/4” stock really impressed me. I took the time to joint and plane the stock to uniform thickness. I butted the two edges together (as if I was making a table top) to make sure the edges were straight. A few small test boards is all it took to get good fitting, tight joints. In fact I was surprised how snug the fit was. It creates a perfect friction fit, that will stay together – even before the glue is added. The interlocking parts seem to cling together and align the joint automatically.

I have had great luck with Rockler carbide bits in the past, so I ordered the #22627. Like my past experiences, this Rockler bit is great. I carpet-tape strips of 1/4” MDF to my router table fence. Then I make the first pass on all workpieces. Next I remove the MDF strips, and make a second pass to complete the joint. Remember that you rout one workpiece flat on the router table, and the mating workpiece vertically against the fence.

If you see a little ridge on the workpiece, try adjusting the fence.

I have heard some reviewers mention that they get some snipe as the workpiece exits the bit. If that is the case, you should move the fence away from you. When the bit is set up correctly there will be no snipe, and the routing operation will not make your workpiece narrower.

This bit is designed for stock 3/4” thick, but not to worry – it will handle stock as thick as perhaps 7/8”.

There are only a few things that really amaze me in woodworking, like half blind machine-cut dovetails, and inlays. The locking miter joint is in that category.

View SawdustAndAnIPA's profile

SawdustAndAnIPA

Thanks for providing the review and use of the Miter Lock Bit. I was given this bit by my Father last year when I started my shop. I have never figured out how to use it. This will be alot of help in my next set of drawers. I also appreciate the input regarding Rockler’s bits. I have been looking for a line (for those special one-off bits) that are quality but cheaper than Whiteside or Freud.

Thanks again and keep on making dust!

-- What Is The Matrix? The Matrix Is All Around Us...It Is Your Table Saw Connected To The Internet.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

I’ve heard lock miter bits can be fussy to set up….

Did you find that to be so? Any tips to getting it right quickly?

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Looks like a “keeper” for sure…

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

Matt I found the setup pretty easy. I just eyeballed the fence and bit height settings. After the first test piece, I was 1/16” off. If there is a small ridge on the underside of your workpiece, start with a fence adjustment. Adjust the fence so it cuts a sharp edge, but doesn’t make your workpiece narrower. Then make small bit height adjustments until the miter aligns at the outside corner. Start out with the top of the bit 1/16” above your stock.

Remember you only have to do this once. Then make a setup block for future reference.

I have used alternate methods in the past, such as mitered corners with biscuits for reinforcement. Unless you can get clamps along the entire jointline, you wind up using a nail gun to close the joint. With the locking miter bit, the joint needs minimal clamping, and no brad nails.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

+10! Thanks, I’ve been looking at doing locked miters since I have a number of shaker boxes to do and all of them need a miter… and I’m crappy at doing miters

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View bygrace's profile

bygrace

Thanks for the useful info. I’m adding that to my list of “things I really need!” Several projects it will be useful on.

-- Andy, Waxahachie, Tx.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View josh's profile

josh

that is awesome..i need one for sure

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

If you have issues setting this bit up, rockler sells a setup block for this bit. This month in the flyer, you can get this bit and I think the setup block is free.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

Good review….

View hjt's profile

hjt

Gotta like it when the piece fit together!!

-- Harold

View Rick M.'s profile (online now)

Rick M.

Been wanting one of these for a long time but was put off a bit by people who said they were difficult to set up, thanks for the review and I have no more reservations.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View freidasdad's profile

freidasdad

Couldn’t agree more. I have this bit with the set up block and it makes perfect, strong miters. I really love mine.

-- My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am---author unknown

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

That rocks! It’s on my list. Ty for the review!

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View Jofa's profile

Jofa

Oooh definitely considering this one.

Any thoughts on how a 1/4” roundover would look on that joint?

-- Thank you Lord for the passion and ability to make things from your creation.