A great little compressor at a very reasonable cost

Review by Jofa posted 253 days ago 3231 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great little compressor at a very reasonable cost No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For the past ten years I’ve been using a Harbor Freight, 21 gal. compressor and it’s served me well. In fact, I really didn’t take care of it and surprisingly it lasted as long as it did. I believe the original oil was in it. (yikes!)

Of course, when I started my little business I started using the compressor on a regular basis and it started showing signs of failure. Blowing the breaker at startup, running slow and eventually not starting at all. I figured it was time to replace this behemoth with something a little more portable. However, I still wanted more capacity than a pancake.

I work part time at Home Depot in their tool rental department so I have the opportunity to learn more about some of the products than most folks. More importantly, I’m able to pick the brains of some of the guys in hardware to get their take on certain items. My co-worker spoke very highly of the 8 gal Husky so I grabbed one.

Size:
Compared to the 21 gal, this one is tiny. Small enough to roll under my workbench and very easy to carry in and out of the shed. The wheels are sturdy and the handle height is comfortable for rolling it around for a guy of my height (5’10”). It really freed up a lot of space in my shop.

Motor:
The motor is much quieter than the HF but it’s a compressor and it’s still loud enough to where I don’t want to run it too far into the evening out of respect for my neighbors. However, the fact that it’s quieter is a welcome feature.
The motor runs relatively cool when the tank is refilling and it cycles in a predictable manner. Once it gets down to about 90psi, it switches on and shuts off at 125. Refill cycles only take about a minute at most.

Regulator:
The regulator is very accurate and easy to dial in. On the former compressor, I don’t believe the regulator ever worked so believe it or not, this was a new concept to me. It takes about three counterclockwise turns to get the pressure to start dropping but its easy to fine tune where you want to be. Of course, the machine cycles less frequently when the output pressure is lower so I can shoot many finish nails before it has to fill up again.

Valves:
This was my only negative. A shut off valve for the air wasn’t included so this is an additional cost. I used the one from the old compressor but someone buying the Husky as their first will have to keep this in mind. (not sure if all compressors come sans valve).

Overall, I’m absolutely thrilled with this compressor. Sure I would like to have more capacity but I think it’s a good tradeoff for someone with limited shop space. Haven’t tried it with a framing nailer but the manufacturer info says it can handle this. I’d also like to get into spraying with it but I need to investigate the right way to go. Never did that before.

If you’re looking for a good, low cost compressor with a good warranty, the Husky should be on your list.

$129

-- Thank you Lord for the passion and ability to make things from your creation.

View Jofa's profile

Jofa

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I have a 30 gallon 5HP (peak) Coleman that I bought back in 96’. I pulled it out of a Sam’s Club for $300. It fills quickly and runs all my air tools, from impact wrenches to air brushes. I dread the day I have to replace it, looking over the current pricing for air compressors.
I’ve seen this unit and was not impressed, but it looks like I was wrong. Looks like you got a decent deal.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View klassenl's profile

klassenl

I have the same model but mine is red. I agree it’s a little loud. I have even done a certain amount of spraying and as long as my project isn’t too big it will keep up.

-- When questioned about using glue on a garbage bin I responded, "Wood working is about good technique and lots of glue........I have the glue part down."

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks for the review. I have the Husky 20 gallon. So far so good.

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I also have a husky 20 gallon. It’s nowhere near as good as the Craftsman professional 33 gallon I replaced, but it’s ok. My 33 gallon would fill and cycle in half the time the Husky does. The trade off is the Craftsman really should have been 220v. It tripped 20 amp breakers like that’s what it was designed to do. Other than the earth shattering noise, the husky doesn’t make itself known that it just fired up.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Jofa's profile

Jofa

Joe, yeah the HF that I had would sometimes trip breakers as well. You could almost see all the lights in the neighborhood dim when I turned that thing on! :)