The perfect blade!

Review by Len posted 06-07-2008 12:42 AM 3149 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The perfect blade! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I first saw this blade demonstrated at a woodworking show, and was amazed at the smoothness of each cut. The guy not only used the same blade throughout the 3 day show, but intentionally stopped pushing a piece through a cut, removed his hand, and answered a question. While reciting the “don’t try this at home” stuff, he explained that the blade is so perfectly flat, he could get away with doing it. And, because it’s so perfectly flat, you don’t need a stiffener, which other manufacturers recommend.
That was about 10 years ago, and I’ve never been disappointed. I send it back to them for sharpening, and it’s back in only a few days. I called a month ago to order a blade for my chop saw, and had that in a couple of days—and the chop saw has never performed so well. It’s the only blade I’ll ever buy.

-- Len Rogers

View Len's profile

View jcees's profile

jcees

#1 posted 06-07-2008 01:43 AM

That thick [.110”] blade plate is what makes it such a honey. I won’t use a “thin kerf” blade anymore—unless you hold a gun to my head. But seriously, I’ve found that industrial blades use the thicker plates and that alone makes for a whole lot less headaches, i.e. flutter, burns, teeth marks, vibration, ragged rips and crappy crosscuts. Be Gone! Buy a better [heavier] blade and be done with it. Selah.

Besides, the only reason mfr’s came out with thin kerf blades was to allow those puny and woefully underpowered contractor saws to actually make it through a 2×4 without choking or blowing the breaker.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#2 posted 06-07-2008 02:44 AM

Len – nice review.

jcees – I prefer a thin kerf blade even with my 3hp Unisaw. It doesn’t seem like much, but I like the material I save from turning into sawdust. I have no “flutter, burns, teeth marks, vibration, ragged rips and crappy crosscuts” using my Forrest WWII blade. Maybe I’m just lucky though. :-)

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

#3 posted 06-07-2008 03:07 AM

Hey Len. I use this blade as well. I love it. Cuts easily and never had a problem with burning, and I have cut a lot of cherry and oak. Does well with both.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#4 posted 06-07-2008 04:31 AM

thanks for the review. i can see what you mean, i never really like using the 10” regular blades, it may be different but if i can i use an 8” blade as is works for most of my cuts. less vibration and everything to.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#5 posted 06-07-2008 04:37 AM

Can’t believe he stopped holding the board. I’m glad he’s confident in his product, but wow, any number of things with the saw can happen.

I’m using a higher end Freud TK blade currently. Fairly satisfied with it. I would like to try a WWII to see what the rage is about. I haven’t noticed deflection with the TK. I’ve read that it is possible when shaving a piece, but haven’t noticed it yet. Nice review.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

#6 posted 06-07-2008 04:58 AM

Len,

This is a good review. I have never tried out this blade but it does sound as if it is a pretty good one to have.

Thanks for the post.

View TomK 's profile

TomK

#7 posted 06-07-2008 06:20 AM

I use this blade too, but have only had it for two months. It makes my underpowered saw perform great. Customer service is great too. I broke a carbinde tip off one tooth while changing to my rip blade, and they fixed it, no charge, just paid shipping.

-- If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's free! PJ O'Rourke

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#8 posted 06-08-2008 03:53 AM

I have this blade. I find it works great in hard woods, soft woods, melamine, or just about anything I throw at it. I do think a thin kerf is the way to go however. I make a lot of small items. It’s a bit of a pain using the band saw and then planing it down. At some point I would like to try using some of the other “high end” blades to see how they compare.

Nice review!

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19479 posts in 2517 days

#9 posted 06-08-2008 01:06 PM

Thanks Len. Blade technology has improved ouit of sight recently.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#10 posted 06-09-2008 05:13 AM

Thanks for the review. It might be a good blade for some applications. I will stick to Forrest blades though.

-- --Chuck

View twomartinis's profile

twomartinis

#11 posted 07-14-2008 06:27 AM

I have this blade – A-mazing. Initially got it for crown molding on our kitchen renovation. Now it cuts everything else like hot butter too!

-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/74108677@N00/

View oaklee's profile

oaklee

#12 posted 11-12-2010 02:01 AM

OK, I have this blade and I am getting burns. I saw the guy at the Atlanta show and he convinced me to go with this blade. I am a newbie, so I may be doing something wrong.

I have a 3 HP Jet cabinet saw with the Incra TS-LS fence system. I have found that if I just slow down the feed rate too much, it will burn the wood. (cherry, basswood, ash, even pine) It cuts the wood like hot butter.

Any suggestions?

View Len's profile

#13 posted 11-12-2010 02:27 AM

Oaklee:
I have 2 suggestions:
1: Check your fence alignment. Chances are, you’ll find it “in” just a tad. Correct the alignment and correct it.
2: Call their “800” number; their customer service is such that you might find yourself talking to the owner, and he may tell you the same. Or, I’ll bet he’ll replace the blade quickly. He takes a great deal of pride in his product, and rightfully so!

-- Len Rogers

View oaklee's profile

oaklee

#14 posted 11-12-2010 04:54 AM

Thanks Len,

I will re-check the alignment. By “in” do you mean the back side of the blade is closer to the fence than the front side of the blade?

Chris

View Douger's profile

Douger

#15 posted 08-26-2011 08:32 PM

I bought a Ridge Carbide TS-2000 for my Jet hybrid table saw (JPS-10) at the Wood Show last winter. (My saw was brand-new at the time, still in the box, so I had no previous experience with any other blade on that saw.) What impressed me was that the guy who demonstrated the blade’s performance at the show was using a fairly cheap bench-top saw, and getting great results. I told him about my new saw, and asked if he thought I should go with a thin-kerf model (since my saw only has a 1-3/4 horse motor); he quickly responded that that wouldn’t be necessary, so I got the full-width kerf model. Having used it for about six months now, I’m happy to report that I’m still 100% satisfied with this blade. I’ve cut a lot of hard maple, wild cherry and red oak with it, and I couldn’t be happier.

—Doug