Excellent - but Limited

Review by MsDebbieP posted 01-20-2008 05:43 PM 3249 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent - but Limited No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(Photo from dremel.com)

Reason For Purchase
I purchased this Dremel to do drilling, cutting, carving, routing, and all that the tool says it will do. I thought that the size would fit with my woodworking skills and building projects of the future. It was also the “supreme” version of the tool at the time.

Right from the first use I knew that I loved this tool. It was great for sanding small places and for etching in glass. Loved it!

Features
The following list of features is from the Dremel site:

• NEW 400 Series XPR™ Dremel tools feature more power & new accessories!
  • 2.0 amp permanent magnet motor for consistent performance at ALL speed settings
  • 5,000 – 35,000 rpm speed range – no other AC power tool is faster. “Let Speed Do the Work!”
  • Motor fan designed for maximum airflow based on speed selection
  • Motor brushes are easy to change, extending your rotary tool life by over 300 hours of use
  • Performance for new, exclusive, XPR attachments!
  • On/Off slide switch for quick and easy access
  • Convenient collet lock button with lock-out feature and quick accessory changes
  • Speed settings for ideal application control and performance.
  • Maintains speed setting after tool is turned off
  • Ergonomic and contoured design
  • Soft grip in “key” gripping areas
  • Ideal comfort and control during tool use
  • Dremel Mini Accessory kits snap into the XPR tool case, which means they’re always ready. Add new kits at any time for the flexibility to organize your case by the job at hand. The XPR case has room for 2 removable Mini Accessory kits, and the deluxe XPR case has room for 4.
  • “Dove Tail” feature for “NEW” Dremel attachments
  • Each of the 3 models include the same tool and special XPR carrying case, with different accessory assortments

The Disappointment
Then, I bought a dremel router table for it, only to find that the 400 series tool would not work with the table. Later I purchased the plunge router attachment and it, too, doesn’t work with the 400 series tool. This was really disappointing because I had a tool that was multi-purposed and could do all things.

My 400 tool now sits in my work station accessory, for drilling the holes for my scroll work. I purchased a second Dremel to fit in the router attachments.

My Recommendation
I really love this tool, on its own and highly recommend it—UNLESS you want to use it with some of their attachments. It probably won’t fit.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 01-20-2008 06:03 PM

I bought one of these kits about two years ago, but I have still not used it. I tend to use my old one. Maybe
when the old one gives up the ghost.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#2 posted 01-20-2008 06:41 PM

You are better off without the router deal. It is underwhelming.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#3 posted 01-20-2008 06:54 PM

Is this the model with the Lithium Ion batteries? I guess they are good for useful life of a charge, and they don’t discharge when not in use.

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#4 posted 01-20-2008 08:43 PM

I have one of the older models and recently bought the plunge base attachment. That seems to work ok although it is pretty light. This said, the dremel is not meant for heavy tasks. I have also heard the router ‘table’ option is underwhelming and problematic.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#5 posted 01-21-2008 12:55 AM

Re: router table, for what I’ve used it for, it has worked well… I’ve only put a rounded edge on pieces of wood.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)