Still the best buy in sharpening!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 08-07-2013 01:07 PM 4027 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Still the best buy in sharpening! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This jig was invented by a pure genius. I don’t know who he (or she) was, but whoever made it was sharper than a stropped chisel. There is no brand name on the thing, and lots of places sell it. I got mine from Rockler for $16 bucks and when you compare it to the other jigs out there, it’s a steal for all that it can do.

Here’s a little video about it:

Here's a great article about how to tune it up.

(For more entertaining reviews and, of course new episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, visit!)

-- It's the best woodworking show since the invention of wood... New episodes at:

View StumpyNubs's profile

View chrisstef's profile (online now)

13215 posts in 2040 days

#1 posted 08-07-2013 01:13 PM

Solid article Stump. Thanks for the post.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View helluvawreck's profile

18714 posts in 1901 days

#2 posted 08-07-2013 01:35 PM

Thanks for the post and other information on this, Stumpy.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Don W's profile

Don W

#3 posted 08-07-2013 01:40 PM

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

View DIYaholic's profile

#4 posted 08-07-2013 07:16 PM

Thanks a whole lot Stumpy! :^(
Now I have more “shop tasks” to complete!!
As if I don’t already have enough to do!!!

But seriously, Thanks for the tip about tweaking the honing guide/jig! It will surely help a lot of people (especially me) obtain better results!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View 7Footer's profile

#5 posted 08-07-2013 11:15 PM

Yes Sir! Especially for sharpening newbs like myself.

I just got one 2 days ago and they are on sale thru the end of the month at Woodcraft for $9.99.
Honing Guide @ Woodcraft

-- Known agitator --

View devann's profile

1915 posts in 1726 days

#6 posted 08-08-2013 03:26 AM

Yes they do work well stumpy. The only problem I’ve had with them are the legs that they grow. I swear I left that thing in the wetrock drawer.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View stefang's profile

#7 posted 08-08-2013 11:55 AM

Great review Stumpy, and I agree that it is a clever and good jig. It’s only drawback is also one of it’s strong points, as the narrow wheel can make a shallow groove in a sharpening stone over time. Maybe not a big deal.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#8 posted 08-09-2013 04:09 PM

I don’t use stones but wouldn’t you be flattening them often enough to prevent grooving?

View Tennessee's profile

#9 posted 08-10-2013 11:09 AM

Have owned one of these for years, even decades? Mine is painted red, one wheel.
Agree with the video.
Also agree I cannot find it when I want it.

-- Paul, Tennessee,

View wingate_52's profile

#10 posted 08-13-2013 09:05 AM

I have an Eclipse model. Bought it when I was a kid. Invaluable at times. I can now hold blade to put a bevel on it, but still go back to that Eclipse jig at times. Quick and dependable.

View wingate_52's profile

#11 posted 08-13-2013 11:30 AM

I also have a Stanley 200 jig and a Dakota sharpening sled.

View NoVaDave's profile

#12 posted 07-12-2015 05:32 PM

Lie-Nielsen sells these and demos them in their traveling tool shows. That says a lot right there. Lie-Nielsen’s Deneb Puchalski did a video on You Tube about how to tune it up. Go to: This vid goes a little more in depth than the article Stumpy references.

Thanks for the nice article and video Stumpy. I’m sorry people say hurtful things about your singing. I love you man!

-- NoVaDave