Still the best buy in sharpening!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 351 days ago 3327 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Still the best buy in sharpening! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This jig was invented by a pure genius. I don’t know who he (or she) was, but whoever made it was sharper than a stropped chisel. There is no brand name on the thing, and lots of places sell it. I got mine from Rockler for $16 bucks and when you compare it to the other jigs out there, it’s a steal for all that it can do.

Here’s a little video about it:

Here's a great article about how to tune it up.

(For more entertaining reviews and, of course new episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, visit Stumpynubs.com!)

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

Solid article Stump. Thanks for the post.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the post and other information on this, Stumpy.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Don W's profile

Don W

agreed.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

Thanks a whole lot Stumpy! :^(
Now I have more “shop tasks” to complete!!
As if I don’t already have enough to do!!!

But seriously, Thanks for the tip about tweaking the honing guide/jig! It will surely help a lot of people (especially me) obtain better results!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View 7Footer's profile

7Footer

Yes Sir! Especially for sharpening newbs like myself.

I just got one 2 days ago and they are on sale thru the end of the month at Woodcraft for $9.99.
Honing Guide @ Woodcraft

-- If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did." -

View devann's profile

devann

Yes they do work well stumpy. The only problem I’ve had with them are the legs that they grow. I swear I left that thing in the wetrock drawer.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View stefang's profile

stefang

12569 posts in 1932 days

Great review Stumpy, and I agree that it is a clever and good jig. It’s only drawback is also one of it’s strong points, as the narrow wheel can make a shallow groove in a sharpening stone over time. Maybe not a big deal.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

I don’t use stones but wouldn’t you be flattening them often enough to prevent grooving?

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Have owned one of these for years, even decades? Mine is painted red, one wheel.
Agree with the video.
Also agree I cannot find it when I want it.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View wingate_52's profile

wingate_52

I have an Eclipse model. Bought it when I was a kid. Invaluable at times. I can now hold blade to put a bevel on it, but still go back to that Eclipse jig at times. Quick and dependable.

View wingate_52's profile

wingate_52

I also have a Stanley 200 jig and a Dakota sharpening sled.