Still the best buy in sharpening!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 08-07-2013 01:07 PM 3934 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Still the best buy in sharpening! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This jig was invented by a pure genius. I don’t know who he (or she) was, but whoever made it was sharper than a stropped chisel. There is no brand name on the thing, and lots of places sell it. I got mine from Rockler for $16 bucks and when you compare it to the other jigs out there, it’s a steal for all that it can do.

Here’s a little video about it:

Here's a great article about how to tune it up.

(For more entertaining reviews and, of course new episodes of Blue Collar Woodworking, visit Stumpynubs.com!)

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

12743 posts in 1973 days

#1 posted 08-07-2013 01:13 PM

Solid article Stump. Thanks for the post.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 08-07-2013 01:35 PM

Thanks for the post and other information on this, Stumpy.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Don W's profile

Don W

#3 posted 08-07-2013 01:40 PM

agreed.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View DIYaholic's profile (online now)

DIYaholic

#4 posted 08-07-2013 07:16 PM

Thanks a whole lot Stumpy! :^(
Now I have more “shop tasks” to complete!!
As if I don’t already have enough to do!!!

But seriously, Thanks for the tip about tweaking the honing guide/jig! It will surely help a lot of people (especially me) obtain better results!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View 7Footer's profile

7Footer

#5 posted 08-07-2013 11:15 PM

Yes Sir! Especially for sharpening newbs like myself.

I just got one 2 days ago and they are on sale thru the end of the month at Woodcraft for $9.99.
Honing Guide @ Woodcraft

-- I'm so official all I need is a whistle --

View devann's profile

devann

1915 posts in 1659 days

#6 posted 08-08-2013 03:26 AM

Yes they do work well stumpy. The only problem I’ve had with them are the legs that they grow. I swear I left that thing in the wetrock drawer.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View stefang's profile

stefang

#7 posted 08-08-2013 11:55 AM

Great review Stumpy, and I agree that it is a clever and good jig. It’s only drawback is also one of it’s strong points, as the narrow wheel can make a shallow groove in a sharpening stone over time. Maybe not a big deal.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#8 posted 08-09-2013 04:09 PM

I don’t use stones but wouldn’t you be flattening them often enough to prevent grooving?

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#9 posted 08-10-2013 11:09 AM

Have owned one of these for years, even decades? Mine is painted red, one wheel.
Agree with the video.
Also agree I cannot find it when I want it.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View wingate_52's profile

wingate_52

#10 posted 08-13-2013 09:05 AM

I have an Eclipse model. Bought it when I was a kid. Invaluable at times. I can now hold blade to put a bevel on it, but still go back to that Eclipse jig at times. Quick and dependable.

View wingate_52's profile

wingate_52

#11 posted 08-13-2013 11:30 AM

I also have a Stanley 200 jig and a Dakota sharpening sled.

View NoVaDave's profile

NoVaDave

#12 posted 07-12-2015 05:32 PM

Lie-Nielsen sells these and demos them in their traveling tool shows. That says a lot right there. Lie-Nielsen’s Deneb Puchalski did a video on You Tube about how to tune it up. Go to: https://youtu.be/ojzzCXq5ook This vid goes a little more in depth than the article Stumpy references.

Thanks for the nice article and video Stumpy. I’m sorry people say hurtful things about your singing. I love you man!

-- NoVaDave