Parts Manufactured Incorrectly

Review by Rob98075 posted 08-04-2013 11:22 AM 3745 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Parts Manufactured Incorrectly Parts Manufactured Incorrectly No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the band saw from Harbor Freight in Bellevue, WA. store (store number 00279) on 7/27/2013. While assembling the band saw, I found that on step 2 of the assembly (page 6 of the manual), the supporting plate (4) was machined incorrectly. The holes did not line up with the holes on the motor plate (7) or with the holes on the base plate(6).

I returned the saw twice, only to find that the part in each box was identical to the part in the first box and drilled incorrectly. The store manager gave me the floor display model on my 3rd return because it was assembled. My assumption at the time was that whoever assembled the display model had gotten lucky and found a box with a part that was drilled correctly. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The person assembling the display model in the store, did in fact drill additional holes in the part to get it to fit.

In addition, the store display model did not have the pulley box or pulley door installed.

When I returned to the store on Tue 7/30, a different store manager told me that she had shipped back all of the bandsaws and that she did not have any in stock. She informed me that I needed to call the phone number in the manual. The number listed in the manual is 1-800-444-3353. Upon calling the number and being routed in 3 or 4 directions, a recorded message informed me that I need to send an e-mail to parts@harborfreight.com.

Needless to say, this has been a very frustrating and stressful experience. This could have been avoided from the very start if the person assembling the display model had stepped back and informed a manager that the parts were wrong. I could have avoided the whole painful purchase experience. It could have also been avoided with better quality control at the factory manufacturing and assembly stage. Instead, a defect was covered up and I have paid the price with my time and energy and the problem is still not resolved. Maybe it was just this batch of saws sent to this one Harbor Freight store, but every box had an incorrect part.

Right now the machine is unsafe to operate as there is no cover over the moving pulleys and belts. In addition, the display model was not fully assembled and bolts were not tightened. The pulleys do not line up properly. I am guessing that this is due to the improperly drilled supporting plate.

I would give both the saw and Harbor Freight a poor rating based on my experience.

View Rob98075's profile

Rob98075

View RodNGun's profile

RodNGun

#1 posted 08-04-2013 01:46 PM

Seems like an even handed description of your experience, thanks for sharing it here. From my point of view your rating seems high given the problems you had. Good luck, every shop needs a reliable bandsaw.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 934 days

#2 posted 08-04-2013 01:47 PM

I’m very sorry you had those problems. I have bought start up machines from HF in the past and watch them break far too quickly. In your case, you can’t even “start up”. Wow. Good luck with the machine. I would invest in the 1 year service contract if you are thinking of using it much during the next year. It may not be too late to buy one.

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#3 posted 08-04-2013 02:38 PM

sorry to hear of your experience i’ve thought about buying a bs from hf before now i’m glad i didn’t.thanks for the review.

welcome to lumberjocks!!!!!

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#4 posted 08-04-2013 02:46 PM

I bought a HF bandsaw about three years ago. Yep it took a little tweeking. The manual (POS) had the motor mounting plate bassakwards. When I got that figured out the rest went pretty good. I did not even try the belt, but got a link belt when I bought the saw.
Yesterday I resawed some 5 7/8” Orange Agate to bookmatch a lid for a heart box I’m building. Fairly new Woodslicer blade…...flawless.
I love my bandsaw!

-- Life is good.

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#6 posted 08-04-2013 07:16 PM

I’m guessing this saw has been discontinued since it’s not on the website.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View chadirvin's profile

chadirvin

#7 posted 08-04-2013 08:08 PM

Why would you accept a third bandsaw if the previous two were incorrect regardless of being a floor model?

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#8 posted 08-04-2013 09:49 PM

I bought something from harbor freight that required assembly before, (this http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1951) and was certain that it was not made correctly because I was following the directions. It turned out that the drawings in the directions were so bad they showed the parts being put together backwards, flipped things around and they went together smoothly. Just something to think about. Poor instruction manuals really irk me. I replaced some toilet tank bolts once, following directions I could not get a leak to seal. I talked to a plumber friend of mine and told me the directions on the package were incorrect. I called the toll free number on the package to tell them/yell at them and they told me they already knew about the backwards assembly problem but had no plans on fixing the directions.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#9 posted 08-05-2013 01:38 AM

I looked at the HF bandsaw when I was thinking of upgrading my 20 year old Craftsman … One of the guy’s that works there told me that he had a real %^$#%$# time putting it together … Later that day I looked at a Laguna and a Rikon. I bought the 14” Rikon … Happy boy.
I still have the old Craftsman, and two bandsaws means fewer blade changes.
You might be happier if you found a used C’man on Craigs List?? Just a thought, giving you time to save up for the really good one.
I feel your frustration and have sympathy. Been there, sorry you are.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#10 posted 08-05-2013 02:54 AM

I bought something from Harbor Freight and….....

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#11 posted 08-05-2013 06:10 AM

My back up BS is one I bought from HF about 12 years ago. For the first 7 years it was used allot (only saw I had at that time) Yea it needs new parts installed to up grade it, the doors are spung and a few other small items. But these days it seems like most tools do not last that long…except for my Hegner Scroll Saws.

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,

View Craftsman70's profile

Craftsman70

#12 posted 08-05-2013 06:29 AM

Do you know if this is the model they just introduced is spring. Their previous bandsaw looked pretty much like a clone of some name brand ones. But is spring my HF replaced it with a much flimsier model… I would have bought he earlier model but this new model looked really bad.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#13 posted 08-05-2013 06:22 PM

bummer… hope they make it right…. hard to put a price tag on your time and frustration

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#14 posted 08-05-2013 09:34 PM

That must be really frustrating. Return the band saw and demand a full refund.

View ic3ss's profile