Review by jusfine posted 08-03-2013 05:54 PM 3275 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another Veritas winner - Mounting plates for use with Bessey Clamps on Festool MFT Another Veritas winner - Mounting plates for use with Bessey Clamps on Festool MFT Another Veritas winner - Mounting plates for use with Bessey Clamps on Festool MFT Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I was leaving the Lee Valley store late this last week, I glanced over at the Festool display and noticed the Bessey Self Adjusting clamps sitting on the MFT table.

Having not previously seen them and used to the De-Sta-Co models for jigs in my shop, I stopped to examine the quality and then noticed the Veritas plate for use with the Festool MFT or other 20mm holes in a bench.

Very simply, it is a black aluminum anodized plate with a threaded post inserted (could it be switched out to fit other size dog holes perhaps?), it has four screw holes for mounting the clamps, comes with four screws and an allan wrench. See photos above.

They are simple to assemble, I did find some of the screws were binding slightly but after putting some SlipIt on the screws, they went in easily. The plates are set up to be used with the four single holes in the clamp body, or can be moved to the slotted holes if you need some flexibility (but they have less reach that way).

The plate is secured by threading in (from the underside) one of the Festool knobs that come with a variety of their accessories, or you can buy the matching knobs seperately from Lee Valley to use with other jigs, benches, etc.

I purchased 2 of the low and 2 of the high profile clamps, not being sure if the Veritas plates would mount with the De-Sta-Co clamps I already own. Bessey also has an In-Line model.

I tried holding down a number of different thicknesses of materials, the clamps readily and easily adjust to the varied heights. Here is a 2” thick block of beech.

It is a slick way to set up for template routing, holding stock while working an edge, planing, and I am sure there are a number of other uses you will find.

I purchased the plates and clamps from Lee Valley, discounts if you purchase 4 or more.

I believe they will be a handy addition to the Festool Muliti Function Table, and for comparison, a pair of Festool clamps cost close to $60.00; the Bessey clamps with the Veritas plate being much more versatile.

After only about an hour’s use, I gave them a 5 Star Rating just because I can feel the quality and see them being so handy!

Let me know if there is anything else I can comment on.

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5197 posts in 2004 days

#1 posted 08-03-2013 10:18 PM

Really good clamps. I have 4 of them but haven’t seen the mounting plates before your post.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

#2 posted 08-04-2013 03:05 PM

Greg, I had not seen them either – I guess I am slipping with my knowledge of what Lee Valley has in stock…

Used two of them last night when working on a chair, I forgot to mention that with the addition of the aluminum plate, it does increase the total height that can be clamped. Works like a charm!

View Evilcati's profile

Evilcati

#3 posted 02-02-2014 01:26 AM

Do the bases fit on the De-sta-co clamps?

#4 posted 04-14-2014 05:40 PM

No, they do not. I have a number of De-Sta-Co clamps as well, the holes do not line up.