Cuts Right Through Wood, Not Your Wallet

Review by lab7654 posted 384 days ago 2976 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cuts Right Through Wood, Not Your Wallet No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After I bought my R4512 (reviewed eventually…), I knew I needed a quality blade. I didn’t even bother trying the stock blade. After hearing only good things about the Irwin combo blade, I went out and got it. This blade truly lives up to all of the reviews. It crosscuts as good or better than my 60 tooth miter saw blade, even without a ZCI or sled. Ripping is a breeze, with glue-ready edges and no tearout. The one thing I have to force myself to remember is that the blade is a combination, and supposed to be a compromise between ripping and crosscutting. That said, I will be buying a dedicated rip and crosscut blade in the future, but for now, this will work just fine.

I’m not the best photographer, so these pictures really don’t do the cuts much justice. I envy those of you who who can take spectacular photos of cuts like these. Both cuts are in red oak with no ZCI or crosscut sled, just a stock miter gauge and fence.

Crosscut:

Rip:

I held onto the fifth star only because of minor limitations that are pretty common in any combo blade. On very rare occasions, I get a little burning with this blade, but only in red oak so far. Ripping is also a little more work than I would like for the blade, but it’s not a 24 tooth dedicated blade. Again, these really aren’t complaints, but just observations that are to be expected with a blade of this type.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

View BenR's profile

BenR

Sounds good Tristan. Got a couple of questions for you though. Does it leave a flat bottom cut? And, how much was it? And, where did you buy it? Oops, guess that was three questions.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

ATB+R for flat-bottomed cuts. lowes has the lowest price.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

Mine has been holding up really well for the little over a year I have had it. It is still one of my favorite blades. I have all of the Marples blades, my favorite by far is the 24 tooth rip blade. Extremely efficient and mirror smooth cuts. I even cross cut with it when I get lazy

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View steliart's profile

steliart

niceeee

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions - http://www.steliart.com --

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112010 posts in 2202 days

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

I have the marples dado and love it

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

I just bought this blade used it to crosscut and rip a piece of Padauk. It does everything the Tristan said plus. I would give it 5 stars. Will definitely look at Marples blades again.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

I just bought a Marples 10” 80 tooth blade, but sold my spare CMS that I was going to use it with.
I will give it a go on my tablesaw soon …I hope : )
Your pictures say it all. What did you pay for the blade and from which store ?

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

Thanks for the comments all. The blade has an ATB+R grind for flat bottomed cuts, but the raker teeth are slightly lower than the others, so there are small grooves made by them. It still makes for good joinery cuts, though. Lowes has the blade for $38, lower than all others who carry it. Some may recall the CMT blade clearance in preparation for the Marples blades.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

I have this same blade on my tabelsaw, love it! It’s always up to the task.

-- Mike

View MedTek84's profile

MedTek84

just installed same blade on my table saw and I have to echo what everyone else on here has said! Has anyone used the 60 or 80 tooth blade on a miter saw???

-- "saviour of the broken, the beaten and the damned"

After reading Lumberjoe’s review, I bought one of these blades at Lowes and I love it.
I used to change blades ( rip/crosscut) all the time on my TS, no more since I installed this one.
I never changed it.
I installed one my Makita miter saw too.( 80 teeth)

View JudsonTN's profile

JudsonTN

I have always changed out my blades but I wanted to try a combo blade from my ts (PCB270TS) and bought this blade based on this review. This is really a great blade. For the past year I have used CMT, Freud Industrial and Diablo, Amana, and Ridgid Titanium on my ts and sms. I really like the quality of this blade. I will still use my Freud Glue Line if I am going to be ripping 150+bf of maple as I do from time to time but this is my standard ts blade now for multi-purpose use. I am using it now as I make Christmas gifts and it is a pleasure to use. Thanks for the great review and turning my on to Marples. As soon as I need a new 80t sms blade, I am going to try the Marples for that as well.

-- “The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” Teddy Roosevelt

View Jokker78's profile

Jokker78

I bought this blade this morning, And all I can say is wow!!!!! it is awesome. I wish I would have bought it a long time ago. And for 34$ you cant go wrong.

-- Measure once, cut , measure again, cut and damn its still to short

View davidmackv's profile

davidmackv

Well, I am going to have to pick up one of these blades. I made the mistake the other day of buying the multi pack at Lowe’s of the three Irwin blades and they are horrific. But at the price I paid for them what did I expect?