the Grizzly G0478 2 hp hybrid cab. saw

Review by wouldi posted 06-06-2008 09:28 PM 7550 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
the Grizzly G0478 2 hp hybrid cab. saw the Grizzly G0478 2 hp hybrid cab. saw the Grizzly G0478 2 hp hybrid cab. saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

So it began by ordering it off line. I was kinda nervous about getting a hybrid, but if i didn’t spend the money i had right then …. my car would have broken down or some mysterious thing would have happen that would have taken all my money. So as i’m patiently waiting like a child before Christmas pacing back and forth for this saw to arrive… The saw finally arrives via Saia Motor transportation at about 7:05 pm …. the driver had a long day, he said, as i talked to him. I live out in the country and have a long narrow driveway that goes up a hill and around a curve. The driver backed all the way in and dropped the saw 3 ft. from my shop door …. in a thunderstorm…. needles to say i gave him a green hand shake. So as i carefully began to unpack the the saw everything seemed to be in order all in plastic bags and boxes. The fence comes in its own separate box. So removing the greasy wax coating was pretty easy with some elbow grease and so Gojo citris hand cleaner. They say not to use brake cleaner or acetone because it might damage the painted surfaces. The thing i found the most helpful is something my father taught me when i was young, READ THE ENTIRE MANUAL BEFORE YOU BEGIN BOTH OF THEM there is a manual that comes with the saw and a separate one that comes with the fence. After that start at page one.. The first step after cleaning and unpacking was to attach the extension wings. There was a tiny bur where they had machined the holes for the three rather large bolts that fix the wings to the main saw a little bit of sand paper took it off. The wings went on well considering i was working by myself. It says in the manual to us masking tape as a shim if the wings dip up or down, my wings tilted up very very slightly so i put some tape in between. The masking tape actually turned out to be two times or maybe even three times too thick.. so after some thought i figured the tiny amount it tipped up would be workable until i found something i could use. The next step was attaching the fence rails with this saw you have two options either 30 in. rip cap. to the right or 27in. i decided to go with 30in. since i rarely use the left side of the blade. That all went well and i had all the parts i needed. Then it was time to check the blade/table parallelism.. In this saw since it is a hybrid the trunnions and motor are actually mounted to the underside of the table and that was what i was nervous about, but it does feel very sturdy. So after getting the feeler gauges out it turned out the miter slot was reading zero at the front of the blade and +.0534 at the back… that almost discouraged me but after rereading and reading again about how to adjust the table by loosening the six bolts that hold the motor and the whole assembly to the table and simply just shifting the assembly to where it needed to be. The table and blade are dead on perfectly parallel. The thing that i like the most about this table saw is the fence system.. mine came with the “shop fox aluma classic fence” .. I have worked in cabinet shops with delta unisaws and unifences.. i think this fence is at least two times better. The fence is completely adjustable from head to toe.. So at about 3:30 am My Grizzly G0478 2 hp hybrid cabinet saw is as square and accurate as a non cnc machine can be.. as for the saw it cuts 2 1/2” walnut like butter…. with a 17.00 dollar oldham 40 tooth combo blade. I wonder what its going be like with a 80 dollar blade. I would recommend this saw to ANYONE. I feel its better then deltas hybrid by far which i have used abundantly. The saw, a zero clearance insert, shipping and lift gate service ran me less than 940.00 bucks…
If your thinking about getting a saw and you have a budget this is the one…

-- to the endeavor

View wouldi's profile

wouldi

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#1 posted 06-06-2008 10:07 PM

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#2 posted 06-06-2008 10:41 PM

Almost bought this at one point. I only stopped when my father-in-law said he could do the wiring for 220V for the Grizzly 1023S. The price has climbed on both. I imagine fuel and metal costs are the culprit. The freight from Grizzly put it to the front of my garage as well. More than I expected since they disclaim it only gets to the curb. The lift-gate charge was worth every penny since I don’t have a bunch of helpers at hand. I do have an IOU from my brother in law. I helped him and two others get an 600lb 8” Jointer up a wooden exterior staircase. Thought we were going through with every step! Time to make some sawdust.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#3 posted 06-06-2008 11:01 PM

Great review. I have always considered Grizzly, and this looks like a pretty nice saw, although I would have opted for the 52” fence. Less than $1000.00 including lift gate service is a great deal.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View bbqking's profile

bbqking

#4 posted 06-07-2008 12:34 AM

I have always had good luck with Grizzly. I think people underrate them because they don’t get the flashy press other brands do. They deliver quality machinery at affordable prices. bbqKing

-- bbqKing, Lawrenceville

View Wudbutcher's profile

Wudbutcher

#5 posted 06-07-2008 03:12 AM

Great review. Almost all my shop tools are grizzly and I have had good luck with everything grizzly. Enjoy the saw. Cheers/Wudbutcher

-- Big Steve

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#6 posted 06-07-2008 03:30 AM

I have a Griz contractor saw that I have usede for 20 years. I have had it on the shop floor 4 times to shim up the trunions. It still will saw a 90 degree joint every time. I think a upgrade is in order, but it works for me and I would hate to give up all ,the jigs that fit it.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

#7 posted 06-07-2008 04:56 AM

This is a nice review. I have looked at the Grizzly products and this one looks good.

Thanks for the post.

View mzmac's profile

mzmac

#8 posted 06-09-2008 01:21 PM

I have had this very saw for three years, it is a rock solid performer. Also I move the fence to the extreme right to gain a 37” rip. All the holes are there, it works great. And the best this was it was free

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#9 posted 06-10-2008 05:19 AM

DROOL….............: )

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#10 posted 06-10-2008 07:37 PM

Wow that price is sweet….I ready to trade in as soon as a I sell my delta const. saw…Blkcherry

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

#11 posted 06-11-2008 10:58 PM

Great review. Thanks for sharing

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison