Wolfcraft 3681404 One-Handed Ratcheting Band Clamp

Review by OakHill posted 268 days ago 2010 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wolfcraft 3681404 One-Handed Ratcheting Band Clamp Wolfcraft 3681404 One-Handed Ratcheting Band Clamp Wolfcraft 3681404 One-Handed Ratcheting Band Clamp Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Wolfcraft Ratcheting Band Clamp has become the ‘go-to’ clamp in this shop when doing final glue up on projects requiring ‘all-around’ clamping.

With one hand on the clamp handles, the other hand is free to adjust the strap, align the pieces being glued or positioning of corner blocks and strap guide as seen in the photo.

By depressing the release button and guiding the strap with one finger you can slowly draw in the strap until the parts are in alignment and the fit is to your satisfaction. Then simply keep squeezing the handles until you feel comfortable with the clamping pressure. It’s fast, easy and provides positive, even pressure for a wide range of woodworking projects.

When the glue is dry, just press the button and pull on the strap and the part is free.

The clamp comes with (4) self-adjusting plastic corners. Slots on the back side of the corners hold them on the strap. I have not used the supplied corners as yet. The projects on which I used the clamp I felt needed a longer contact area so as to distribute the clamping force more evenly. Thus far I made project specific wood corners. On the inside of the wood corners I used Epoxy glue to attach Plexiglas to help prevent any glue from the box contacting the wood corners. (As shown in the photo) Also I purposely did not relieve the inside corner of the home made corners so as to eliminate any float while tightening the clamp. Yes, I did have to be careful as to the amount of glue applied to avoid excessive glue being squeezed out.

The supplied plastic corners will be used on projects with angles of greater (or less) than 90 Deg.

The photo with the fixture shows a box (unclamped) with the (4) wood corners, a riser under the clamp to center it vertically, and a “strap guide block” to help surround the box with an even clamping pressure. The distance between the straps at the clamp body is 4-1/2”, a distance too close to the outside dimensions of the box. The “strap guide block” draws the straps to the center of the box thereby evenly distributing the clamping force around the entire box.

For an upcoming project which is taller, I have a fixture in mind that will support two of these clamps at different levels.

After my first use of the clamp, I had to order a second. I highly recommend this clamp. It’s easy to use and worth every bit of the price.

I purchased them from “Amazon”. They had the best price at the time. Shop around; I have seen it available thru other sources.

To view the finished product: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/86286 Also at: http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OakHillWoodCreations

-- John, Illinois, http://OakHillWoodCreations.com

View OakHill's profile

OakHill

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

Very clever jig for box glue-ups… might have to make one someday. I have a few bessey strap clamps, though I like the one-handed ratcheting of these better.

-- Allen, Colorado

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Love the one-handed action, not so happy about the single clamp price, especially one made of plastic.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View whiskey1's profile

whiskey1

I’ve used those Wolcraft clamps and you might think them a bit pricey for plastic, but be reasured, they are as tough as they come, really robust and worth every penny. I Like the bairitone guitar from Tennessee!

Whiskey1