Great Japanese water stones at a good price!!

Review by CypressAndPine posted 07-18-2013 03:53 AM 2658 views 8 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Japanese water stones at a good price!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received my set of Naniwa Super Stones. I got a 1000, 3000, & 8000 grit stone. I also got the Norton flattening stone. The stones were very flat and ready to use out the box. They come mounted in a cheap plastic base, but it seems sufficient. The supposed advantage of the superstones is that they don’t need to pre-soak. You just add water and sharpen. I purchased them from Sharpening Supplies online. I paid about $140 for the set.

I immediately sharpened my #4 bailey plane. I wanted to start fresh so i used 120-600 grit sand paper to establish a new primary bevel. I sharpened through the 3 stones quickly. They really remove steel fast for such fine grits. It puts a nice mirror finish on the iron. I put a secondary bevel on the iron with just a few strokes and it shaves better than a razor. No complaints here.

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans

View CypressAndPine's profile

CypressAndPine

View JuanGatico's profile

JuanGatico

#1 posted 07-18-2013 01:57 PM

This is a smart purchase.

View garyprott's profile

garyprott

#2 posted 07-18-2013 05:19 PM

I can only add that Sharpening Supplies is a great place to buy from. Wonderful customer service.

-- James Krenov..."It's about a lot of little things, they do matter. Enjoy them."

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#3 posted 07-18-2013 06:03 PM

Sharp tools are the best tools, thanks for sharing a valuable
resource.

View Dave's profile

Dave

#4 posted 07-20-2013 02:02 PM

Nice find, good review. I may have to try this.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 07-21-2013 01:56 AM

Nice!

I’d like to try water stones some day.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View CypressAndPine's profile

CypressAndPine

#6 posted 07-21-2013 03:44 AM

I was using the sandpaper method, I finally realized it is cheaper and better in the long run to just buy the stones. I’m glad I did.

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans