new slider on site.

Review by Shawn Masterson posted 381 days ago 3351 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
new slider on site. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We had someone steel the new 10” makita slider and the old turd of a dewalt slider from the jobsite last week. we are trimming out a hotel and have to have the tools on sight so the boss picked up a new dewalt at the BORG. I am a fan of the dewalt. I have used this saw 12 hours a day for the last 5 days and it has probably cut a few miles of trim between the two shifts. it was dead nuts right out of the box. it has performed so well that I told him to pick up another one on his way home. The only complaint I have is ths DC. It is covered in sawdust at all times. The dust collection is the worst I have ever seen even with a festool vac hooked to it. that being said if I didn’t already have a dewalt slider I would go down and pick one up for $400. i HIGHLY RECOMEND IT the only reason I marked it at 4 stars is the DC other than that I don’t know how it could be any better.

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

366 posts in 2036 days

$400 for the 12” slider? I want to shop where you shop. Lusted after one of these a long time, but just can’t justify it and stick with my old 10” Delta $99 dollar version which has been more than acceptable for what I do with it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

I don’t think they make a slider that can contain the dust it creates. Some industrious person is going to design a dust catcher for these saws someday and he/she will become very, very wealthy.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View divingfe's profile

divingfe

I noticed two different Dewalt 12” sliders a BORG yesterday. One for $299- I think its model # was 718??, and the other for $499, I believe # 760??. In any case, both were on display, not sure of the differences, as I’m not yet in the market for either, $-wise. It would be interesting to compare both with some reviews.

” The shortest distance between two points is a straight line—the longest distance is…... a shortcut. !!

-- Shortest distance between two points - a straight line. Longest distance - a shortcut.

View Howie's profile

Howie

My 12” Dewalt was 599.00 but included a “free” 199.00 miter stand(which I’ve never used). It replaced a 12” Ridgid(not a slider) I get a 10% military discount at Lowes so that brought the price down some.
I agree with the 4 stars .
BTW, I was in Lowes yesterday and they are still priced at 599 here.

-- Life is good.

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

My wife bought me the 718 as a welcome home present when I got back from Afghanistan last year. I think she got it on sale at HD for $350. Its a great saw if you can overlook the sawdust explosion it creates. If you do choose to purchase it, I would also suggest a Freud 12” -5 degree hook blade to go with it. A little on the pricey side but the cuts are very accurate and very smooth. I am going to build and enclosure for the saw that helps contain the mess in the near future. We’ll see if that helps.

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View Christophret's profile

Christophret

I grabbed one of these 718 saws at HD. For 400 dollars it was a very good deal.
Then I went to Lowes and bought the click stand for 200, and I love it all!
I really would like to find the laser kit for it
I also agree with the 4 star rating echoing the poor dust collection. But the accuracy is awesome!

One other quip I have is the bevel setting when doing compound cuts. I have yet to find an adjustment to tighten it.
When you set the bevel on an increment other than the notches, the weight of the saw slides down untill it hits the notch. making it difficult to cut those odd increment bevels like 37 degrees,etc.

-- I cut it twice and it's still too short!

View albachippie's profile

albachippie

My Dad has this saw which he has used extensively. I don’t find the dust extraction unacceptable, but could be better

Totally agree with the above statement. Can make compounds a bit hit or miss at times. Still a fantastic piece of kit all the same,

Garry

-- Garry fae Bonnie Scotland - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garry-Macdonald-Woodwork/425518554215355?ref=hl

View john's profile

john

I have this saw and the dust collector is the worst I have ever seen , it is a pos . My Milwaukee mitre saw has a great dust collector . It picks up almost everything .

-- John in Belgrave (Website) http://www.extremebirdhouse.com , http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112698715866

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

I got mine when they first came out because I had to cut 7” base moulding, think they were going for like $700 at the stores new and found a guy like an hour away up north selling a NIB one for $350 I added the bosch gravity lift stand to it those stand kick ass btw, and its the best miter saw I’ve ever used, oh and the laser sight sucks for those so don’t bother it goes out of alignment real easy and its hard to see in the sun.

-- Nick, “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime's work, but it's worth the effort.” ― Fred Rogers, Be My Neighbor

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

We’ve had a 718 in the shop for 3 years now with no problems.
At the time we got it, the going rate was near $600.00, but I got ours reconditioned fro a lot less. Getting one for $400.00 now seems a good price indeed. It’s not the only game in town anymore and I;m sure that has contributed to the lower prices.