Still Amazed - Evapo Rust

Review by hjt posted 378 days ago 3158 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Still Amazed - Evapo Rust No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have written two previous reviews on this product and so I was not intending to write a third, however after the result of Evapo-Rust, I cannot help but to do so.

Unfortunately, since I was not intending to post this, I did not take any before photos, but I’m sure you all can recall in your shop (or perhaps your dad’s) all the rusty screws that tend to accumulate. While none of these were super rusted, many of the nuts I could not get off with just my bare hands. This is what the screws and nuts look like now. Simply amazing!

If you’ve not seen my previous postings on this product and want to be blown away – check them out. Here is my first review, and my second. In my first review you will see that I’m doing large items that cannot be dipped or placed in a bucket. And BTW – I still have no (or little) rust coming back – that was over 3 years ago.

As I’ve mention in the other reviews, I add one step in my process that is not part of the products instructions, and that is, after I rinse off the Evopo Rust, I bath the items in 30 weight oil for a while.

View Craftsman70's profile

Craftsman70

I agree that Evapo-Rust is amazing. I’ve been using it recently on parts of an old Craftman table saw… especially the nuts and bolts. I haven’t been rinsing off the Evapo-Rust and instead let them dry with a film of it on them. I was hoping that would provide some additional protection, but I like your idea of putting them in oil. Some of the pieces I remove rust from have a black oxide coating that I wish I could duplicate since Evapo-Rust does remove that coating.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

I learned early on that once you rise off the evaporust, things tend to flash rust really FAST, so in my case I put a light coat of 3 in 1 oil or some WD-40 on the parts just to prevent further rusting until I finish what I am doing with the parts.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

I keep seeing references to this magical stuff. Gonna hafta pick me up some.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View cam1297's profile

cam1297

I used it for the first time last night. This stuff works wonders.

111999 posts in 2176 days

Thanks again for the review Harold.

hjt

Thanks folks for the comments. Cam – glad to see you decided to try it and seems that you are as amazed as me. Joein10asee – go get some. Harbour Freight sells it cheap.

View Newage Neanderthal's profile

Newage Neanderthal

I gotta agree, that stuff is amazing. I used to to clean an old hand powered miter saw I picked up at a flea market. Worked like magic.

-- www.newageneanderthal.blogspot.com . @NANeanderthal on twitter

View Bampei's profile

Bampei

40 posts in 1943 days

I just discovered this stuff a couple of months ago. It is MAGIC! Lots of frustration eliminated and saves a lot of money in the long run.
I buy mine at our local Northern Tool Store.

-- I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

View Milo's profile

Milo

849 posts in 1918 days

Has anyone used this on a flat surface?

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

hjt

Milo – love your tag line. You might notice photos of beer bottles in several of my postings both here and on Garden Tenders. To answer your question, look at my first review, I show a table saw and band saw. Heres the link – http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1350

View Jack Gaskins's profile

Jack Gaskins

Yes this stuff in superior to ANY other rust remove I have used! I get mine from Harbor Frieght, bit expensive but worth every penny. I repurpose mine just pour the stuff back in the bottle. I have used in on flat surfaces and you have to keep wiping it on as it will not work as fast as if you could put the flat surface in a container of the evaporust. One very importing thing I did find though was that it WILL eat past the finish on everything. Like if you soak some bolts that have that black finish. It will eat through the rust and the black finish and you will get a greay bolt!

-- USAF Ret. 2006

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

Its’ Liquid Gold!

I did the same nuts and bolts trick last year when I was restoring an X Y dual axis sliding/rotating table for a machine shop tool.
these tables sell for hundereds-thousands new, but I got a nice one for under a hundred, just rusty.
I tore it down and used Evapo on all the parts, rebuilt it with liberal oil and grease, and it looks like and works new now.

hjt

Hey Cyber Dyne – If you’ve got photos, feel free to post them in this review or make your own. Glad you had such good results. Liquid Gold! Good description.