Bar Keeper's Friend - Great for surface rust removal

Review by Cereal4Dinner posted 07-08-2013 06:35 PM 3766 views 3 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bar Keeper's Friend - Great for surface rust removal Bar Keeper's Friend - Great for surface rust removal No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I buy most of my tools used, and that usually entails cleaning up metal surfaces that have been left sitting. For tables and other flat surfaces, I use Bar Keeper’s Friend since it is a mild acid that breaks up rust pretty effectively and it’s cheap. I’ve uploaded some before and after pics of my bandsaw table. It doesn’t clean/polish the table 100% but it definitely makes huge difference. 20 minutes with a green scrubbing pad followed up with some paste wax, and the table is smooth and a joy to use again.

As always, please excuse the mess that is my garage.

View gtbuzz's profile

gtbuzz

#1 posted 07-08-2013 06:52 PM

Looks nice. Did you use the BKF in powder form + some sort of lubricant or did you use the liquid form? I tried the latter out once and it did a decent job of cleaning things up bit I may have left it on there a little too long as the entire table turned a very subtle brown a couple minutes later. Perhaps I did something else wrong too but your results look good.

#2 posted 07-08-2013 07:22 PM

I used the powder form mixed with some water. I’ve seen the light brown color too, and I think its just the rust particles in the solution settling back on the surface after it dries. I think the trick is to keep it wet (adding water if necessary), moving it the whole time, and when you’re done to wipe it off and rinse the part with clean water until the paper towels wipe cleanly.

#3 posted 07-08-2013 11:23 PM

Looks good.
where do you get the stuff and how much does it cost ?

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#4 posted 07-08-2013 11:28 PM

You can find Bar keepers friend most any where they sell cleaning supplies. I picked up some the other day from Lowes.

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#5 posted 07-09-2013 01:01 AM

thanks for the tip – i love BKF in the kitchen for cleaning grime on metal, but never thought to use it in the shop. excellent!

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

#6 posted 07-09-2013 04:52 AM

And it works great for cleaning the tea stain from your teacups. The active ingredient is oxalic acid.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

View Bampei's profile

Bampei

40 posts in 2063 days

#7 posted 07-09-2013 09:02 AM

You’ll also find all the products, both powder and liquid in Wallie World (Wal-Mart)

-- I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#8 posted 07-09-2013 01:53 PM

hmmm, wonder if it will work on hard water stains in the shower. Specifically on the glass as long as its not too abrasive like comet or Ajax.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

#9 posted 07-09-2013 05:27 PM

ScottKaye, I’ve noticed it works as well as Comet or Ajax on other household cleaning tasks, but not really any better. Rust removal is where it shines compared to those two.

View sgv's profile

sgv

#10 posted 07-09-2013 10:39 PM

ScottKaye krudd kutter original formula also cuts soap scum with ease

-- Tite Lines, May the wind be at your back

View plegresl's profile

plegresl

#11 posted 07-09-2013 11:14 PM

ScottKaye, it works really well on hard water stains and in my experience does not damage glass at all.

#12 posted 07-09-2013 11:30 PM

Cereal4Dinner...great name and also guilty of the same !! LOL

View eatsawdust's profile

eatsawdust

#13 posted 07-10-2013 01:09 AM

I buy most of my tools used too so I have lots of experience with BKF and I usually mix it with WD 40 instead of water it prevents new rust.

-- Why does everything I enjoy doing have to be bad for the environment, I work in the oil industry and enjoy working with exotic woods from rain forests

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#14 posted 07-10-2013 06:33 AM

Scrape her down with a razor blade first, then scrub and wax. Use a razor blade holder, usually a buck or two at the big box stores because the sides of the razor are pretty sharp in their own right and besides, you hand gets tired. You’llhave more control with a holder. Keep a sharp one loaded, or you can strop like I do. But blades are so cheap, a buck at HF for 10 or so. If I’ve been bad and neglectful, especially summertime, I’ll pull out the old quarter sheet sander and give it a go with 400-600 wet-dry sandpaper and WD 40. Shine baby shine. I’ll have to try your wax recommendation. Always looking for good inexpensive products that work. Thanks

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#15 posted 07-11-2013 01:55 AM

I’m surprised by the number of folks using abrasives like sandpaper and barkeepers friend. I was told to use nylon scrubbing pads and not sandpaper or cleanser b/c you want to keep all the cast iron there—you can run the risk of compromising the flatness. I’ve been very happy with Boeshield Rust Free (when there is bad rust) followed by Boeshield T-9. Works great. Wood Magazine tested a whole array of rust solutions, and found the Boeshield combination to be the best.

If you use Rust Free, you will be amazed at how quickly a thin film of rust forms on naked cast iron after everything is stripped off—you can literally see it spread across the surface in seconds. The T-9 is essential to stop the rust from re-forming.

But, whatever works for you . . .