How much would you pay to ensure that you retain all ten digits for life?

Review by harry1 posted 408 days ago 3696 views 1 time favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
How much would you pay to ensure that you retain all ten digits for life? How much would you pay to ensure that you retain all ten digits for life? How much would you pay to ensure that you retain all ten digits for life? Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m still not over the euphoria caused by my “discovery” of the MUSCLECHUCK and I’m excited in a different way now that I have “discovered” a safety tool that appears to have been around for a long time but neither any of my many friends or of course myself had heard of it. I refer to the GRR-Ripper, now, like all woodworkers I have bought and made countless push sticks and feather boards over the years but accidents still occur. I can honestly say that in the over sixty years that I have been woodworking I have never felt as safe when using my table saw, jointer, router table and band-saw as I have been in the few weeks that I’ve had my GRR-Ripper GR200Y.
I had intended to produce a pdf with heaps of photographs but the superbly produced DVD by MicroJig and the several well made videos on Youtube would have made my effort rather amateurish.
The GRR-Ripper can be configured in numerous ways especially with the addition of various available accessories. It did take me a while to get the hang of quickly changing from one configuration to another but like any new tool there is a learning curve. I’m certain that two GRR-Rippers are better than one and that is probably how I’ll end up.
In conclusion, I consider the GRR-Ripper to be an essential safety device which should not only be in every woodworking shop but used regularly. Had this been invented 20, 30 or more years ago there would, I’m sure, be many, many woodworkers around now with all ten fingers. Here are links to GRR-Ripper videos:

-- Harry, Western Australia

View harry1's profile

harry1

View Gerald's profile

Gerald

Enjoyed your post, Harry, and you’ve put me back on a safer track. I’d about talked myself out of spending the money for a GRR-Ripper since I’m going to try to force myself to use the guard on the SawStop Pro that’s in the mill for me. Your reminder about the jointer and router table have put the GR200Y and its accessories back on my “to buy” list.

As I noted in my first post, after nearly 50 years, I have the opportunity to upgrade my shop (Dr said I had to quit flying and his logic for that is feeding right into supporting the shop upgrade. The sale of my little plane is providing the funds and floor space.). Promising my wife a new sewing machine out of the deal isn’t hurting anything, either. Now, if I can just get a new layout worked out, I can get on with it.

Thanks again for the reminder.

-- Gerald, Rural North Central Arkansas

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

G’day, Harry. That sure is a nice tool to control the wood going through the saw. I know what he means in the video about the wood lifting up sometimes when the kerf closes and pinches the wood. However, I should make a video on how I use the simple push sticks I make- I have a PVC pipe full of them.
In the video, he uses a push stick behind the part and right next to the fence. Not a good idea!! I push behind the piece and right next to where the blade will cut.That “torques” the piece into the fence. Also I always use 2 pusher sticks. The one in my left hand is pushing the part to the fence but can also hold it down if it should want to lift. I have a V in the ends that acts like fingers so Mine are far away. Use of riving knife can prevent the pinching of the wood, but most of us take them off as well as the guard.

There are a lot of safety features for tools if you want to spend the money. I do like the rubber grippers on the Jointer- use them all the time for down pressure and forward pressure and they keep my hands high above the cutter. Thanks for the post! It may save someone a few fingers!!!!!! Good review!!..........Cheers, Jim

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

People should take the time to watch a couple of the videos. These are not just push blocks but rather a true innovation in safety. The blocks have adjustable gripping pads that allow the blade to ride between them. This allows the workpiece to be fully supported on both sides through the cut with your hands safely away. This allows some cuts to be done both better and safer than before.

A good example is slicing up the lamination for an end-grain cutting board. The strips all need to be the same width. Most will use a big cross-cut sled with a stop. However others do this directly on the tablesaw against the fence (watch Marc do it this way in his Wood Whisper video on making an end-grain cutting board). If you use the Grr-ripper then you can do this cut with fence but it will be both much safer and you will have the added bonus of virtually no burning because the workpiece is better supported.

View devann's profile

devann

Two thumbs up Harry, well done. Improvements in equipment and techniques have made us safer. But at the end of the day it’s the amount of attention that we pay to what we are doing that will ultimately make us safer.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View harry1's profile

harry1

Of course Jim, a splitter isn’t necessary when using the GRR-Ripper because the wood on BOTH sides of the blade are held perfectly in place, so for those who do remove the splitter and/or guard I would think that a GRR-Ripper is essential

-- Harry, Western Australia

View oldretiredjim's profile

oldretiredjim

I use the Grr-ripper all the time. It takes a little time to set up but it gets me thru some “hairy” cuts.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

Grr-ripper recommends the grr-ripper and a splitter. I use their MJ splitter.

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

Harry,

You didn’t give it a Rating? LOL! I’ll put it on my list. Safety before finishing a project.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View David's profile

David

Hey, Thanks for the links Harry…

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Harry – if I may – your last picture showing how you hold the gripper makes me cringe… for even better safety, it is best not to have you fingers INSIDE the grip , but rather outside of it, and simply guide the push block with the palm of your hand over it. that way – if worst comes to play and the pushblock/grriper snags on something and is pulled away it won’t take your hand/fingers with it.

just me $0.02

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Harry!

Very good!

In the past, I always thought they were dependent upon magnetic forces… thus, if one had an aluminum or wood, etc. work tops, it would not work.

Then, you come along with this great Review and Opens my eyes to what it really is!

Does NOT use magnets at all and does NOT depend on anything magnetic!

In order for me to NOT forget this, I have updated my website... and as soon as I can fit it into my budget, I will!

Thank you very much!

View GregD's profile

GregD

I am also a big fan of these things. They work best if the table top is nice and slick.

-- Greg D.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

PurpLev I see your point, but I think the whole point of the Grr-ripper is control, and not gripping it would lesson control. I do know that MicroJig demonstrates it with a full grip.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

I like these and consider them to be a great safety measure.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View revanson11's profile

revanson11

I am very happy with both my Gripper and MJ Splitter. Great products at an affordable price.

-- Randy, Central MN