For the Garage Workshop

Review by Spur posted 07-06-2013 06:23 PM 1428 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For the Garage Workshop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just a quick note on the Chamberlain Whisper Plus from the box store. As a garage door opener it works great, you can leave it partially or fully open, and it has a battery backup, and a neat digital opener instead of the simple doorbell button to open and close it, which includes the ability to lock the garage door, and tells the time and temp. As far as woodworking goes, this is not the main reason I wanted to mention this opener. It also came with a little gizmo you plug into the wall, and you then plug your lamp into, which you use your opener to turn on when you get home. I repurposed it for my shop vac dust collection system.

In the past I had to constantly pull the shop vac cart out to reach the plug and power switch. Now, I have a little keyfob I keep on me which I use to turn the shop vac (with the Oneida dust deputy) off and on and a 20’ hose. It is absolutely 100x easier to keep things clean now. Of course the keyfob also works the garage door which I will sometimes leave partially open with a fan blowing out.

This item is not explicitly for woodworkers, but I really feel it has made a huge impact on the efficiency of my little DIY workshop without buying a special remote, and it keeps control of the both dust collection and garage door in my pocket.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#1 posted 07-07-2013 01:45 AM

excellent idea to use it with your vac system.thanks for the idea.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View REL's profile

REL

#2 posted 07-07-2013 05:38 PM

Not sure what you mean. Does the keyfob set up to turn on the Oneida ?

-- REL, North Jersey

#3 posted 07-07-2013 08:13 PM

I don’t have the full blown dust collection system. I have a shop vac with the Oneida dust deputy attached (just the cyclonic part over a 5 gallon bucket). The shop vac is plugged into the garage door opener gizmo intended for turning on the lights when you get home. The keyfob is just a mini garage door opener I got separately (better to carry around than the garage remote that came with it), and programmed it to open the garage door and work the gizmo intended for lamps. When I press the button to turn on the gizmo, it acts like a remote to turn the shop vac on. With the 20 foot hose running to the shop vac/dust collection system, I can be at the lathe, then move the hose to the mitre saw, then the table saw, and never have to move the whole cart, nor do I have to do any awkward reaching to turn it on, just line myself up on whatever machine I am at, press the little keyfob garage door opener button that works the gizmo, and away I go.

The gizmo looks like one of those timer plugs you might use with a Christmas tree, but is a remote on/off rather than a timer. It works exactly like the item at this link but it came with the garage door opener, and the keyfob works both the garage door opener and the shop vac, with a third button which I may get another one of those gizmos and hook up to a fan or air filtration or something (they cost around $20)

For a more robust dust collection system, I would get the real deal remote, but for my needs, in a garage shop, the draw on power is not enough to need the expensive ones.

#4 posted 07-07-2013 08:56 PM

Nice , helpful review. Thank you
I might buy it just for the keyfob thingy : )

View David's profile

David

#5 posted 07-08-2013 06:38 PM

Spur, thanks for the review, we are looking at new door opener. may consider this one…

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 07-09-2013 02:02 PM

Can I ask how it operated as a garage door opener? Was it quiet? I get a lot of complaints about how noisy my current opener is.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 07-09-2013 02:30 PM

Well, the good news it is super quiet since it is a belt drive. The bad news is that the old one was so noisy it masked the squeaky springs that help lift the doors. The wife gave me fits to get rid of those squeaks once I changed the opener out, and tracking down precisely where the squeaks came from was a bit of trial and error (the squeak reverberated throughout the metal).

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile