Like going from a Pinto to a Mustang

Review by Kobra posted 421 days ago 3540 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Like going from a Pinto to a Mustang Like going from a Pinto to a Mustang No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Before I begin my review of the Grizzly TS, my previous TS was a cheap Craftsman. So please keep that in mind as you read my review.

Purchasing decision:

Before I purchased the 1023RLW, I did my research on the various types of table saws out there. I considered the Bosch 4100 but it was no bigger than my Craftsman. I also considered the Rigid R4512 and Porter-Cable PCB270. The Rigid’s split fence rail design turned me off completely although many say it’s not that big of a deal. The Porter-Cable gets great reviews but when I was at Lowes, I couldn’t help feel unimpressed with it (no particular reason).

I was starting to get turned off as none of the contractor or hybrid table saws caught my eye. I then started to look at cabinet table saws. As with most people, budget and space were major factors in my decision. As a weekend DIYer, the front part of my garage is my shop. Also, could I justify spending over $1K for something that gets used primarily on the weekend? Since I was so turned off by my Craftsman TS, I felt I would regret getting anything less than a full-sized TS. So I took the plunge and ordered the 1023. I also ordered the Shop Fox mobile base and extension kit. Total cost including shipping was $1670.

FWIW Knotscott’s blog is mandatory reading and helped me with my decision. If anyone were to ask me what to buy I would refer them to his blog first.

Delivery

Dealing with SAIA was a major PIA. Three weeks had gone by since Grizzly sent me an email saying my order had been shipped and I hadn’t received my TS. I called SAIA to ask what the holdup was. Long story short, the box with the fence and rails was MIA. It took them almost four days to track down the package. Ten days later SAIA finally delivered the TS.

Appearance – I have to admit I was a bit worried about the condition of the TS when it arrived. Thankfully everything was to my satisfaction minus one little thing. The hook that holds the arbor wrenches was bent. Again, not a big deal.

Inventory – The box that was MIA was missing a few bolts and a set-screw for the fence . A quick trip to Menards remedied that problem. It wasn’t worth my time contacting Grizzly for a couple of dollars worth of parts.

Assembly and adjustments

The instructions for the 1023 are very well written. I downloaded the manual as soon as I made the purchase. Since I had a month’s time between order and delivery, I must’ve read the manual a half dozen times.

Wing assembly – I wasn’t able to get the wings perfectly flat with the main table but they’re within .003”, close enough for me.

Miter slot to saw blade – There was a difference of .004”. I decided this was parallel enough and didn’t want to chase perfection.

Fence alignment – I set the fence to kick out .006”. Just a personal preference on my part.

Riving knife workout – Forget insanity or any other workout. I spent more time getting the riving knife in alignment than I did anything else. My quads were screaming at me by the time I was done.

Speaking of the riving knife, make sure you get full or standard kerf blades for hard woods. I purchased two Freud D1050X blades before the TS arrived. These blades generally get great reviews so I installed one of them without giving it a second thought. That was a mistake on my part. As I was ripping three quarter Red Oak, the wood would sometimes get stuck. It turns out the blade kerf on these blades is .1” According to owner’s manual, the required blade kerf thickness is .122” – .129”. This does make a difference. I now use the D1050 blades for crosscuts and for ripping plywood and soft woods. Lesson learned.

Miter gauge – It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. Once I made a fence for it, I’ve used it several times with good results. In the future I may purchase an aftermarket miter gauge but for now it meets my needs.

Router table – The built-in router table sealed the deal for me. I was able to dismantle my homemade router table (it was starting to warp anyways) and recover much needed space. My only nitpick is there isn’t much space between the hole and the end of the table. I built one of my storage cabinets to act as a support when I’m handling large pieces of wood.

Summary – The Grizzly 1023RLW is perhaps a bit overkill for the weekend DIYer such as myself. But I’m able to build things I never would’ve considered with my Craftsman TS. I actually look forward to using it. Is it perfect? No, hence the four star rating. In the end I’m happy with my purchase and that’s all that really matters.

View Kobra's profile

Kobra

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

One of the better reviews I have read on here. Thanks.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

Congrats on your new saw. And it should outlast you and your kids. I know mine will.
Sorry about the delivery troubles. SAIA has been great for me. Two big deliveries – the 1023RLW and a 14 inch band saw. Both orders were delivered four days after they shipped and each spent most of one day in Dallas.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

Nice review

My experiences with SAIA have been great: timely delivery of my Grizz bandsaw and tablesaw and very helpful drivers who went the extra mile to help me wrestle these heavy tools.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

Congrats, I hear they are good saws

-- Norman

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

I like your router/vac setup!

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View SparkyWood's profile

SparkyWood

Where did you get the router switch mounted on the table?

-- Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing.

View Kobra's profile

Kobra

The router switch came from a Wolfcraft Router Table bought at Menards a couple of years ago. It is held by 4 rare earth magnets.