Much better than a utility knife.

Review by NiteWalker posted 391 days ago 1624 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Much better than a utility knife. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this for a while, but it hasn’t really gotten a workout until the past few days.
I’m redoing my router table top and since my table saw is a bosch 4100 now, safely cutting a 4’x8’ sheet of laminate into manageable pieces isn’t feasible.

Cutting the laminate with this tool is easy; I just made the necessary tick marks on the laminate sheet, laid a 4’ scrap of apple ply and ran the scoring tool along the apply ply with firm pressure several times. I then lifted up on the laminate folding it on top of itself and it snaps at the scored line.

I cut the sheet of laminate into a bunch of smaller pieces and it worked easily and reliably every time. Even when I get my bigger table saw again I think I’ll stick to this method. It’s easy and there’s literally no “kerf” lost as there is when cutting with a table saw.

I think what I like the most about this tools is the way the blade is shaped; only the point scores the laminate; the side of the durable carbide blade rides along the straightedge material. If I had tried this with a utility knife, the blade would have kept wanting to dig into the apple ply.

Next time I head to Lowe’s I’ll grab a pack of replacement blades since I work with plastic laminate fairly often.

View steliart's profile

steliart

I cut lots lots of UPVC 5mm sheets and this cutter might help, wish I could get one here.
Thanks for the info

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions - http://www.steliart.com --

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

1910 posts in 473 days

I agree Nite Walker. Those things are worth their weight in gold. Makes it much easier to pre-size HPL for the glue up.

-- Bucket, any person that spends 10k on a bicycle is guaranteed to be a $@I almost started to like you. -bhog

View devann's profile

devann

NiteWalker, I’m glad I clicked on the picture of the cutter you are reviewing. I recently (this past April) purchased a plastic laminate cutter from Lowe’s with a very similar handle and was most disappointed with it. The cutter I purchased is not the model that you have posted here. It has a skinny/ thin blade, total junk. But it was the only one they were selling at the time. It too has a replaceable blade. The one I purchased has what I believe to be a model number 41577 and the Kolbalt logo on the left side of the handle.

Please edit your review to include the model number so folks don’t go buying the same model I did. The model you have pictured is similar to one made by Hyde being they both have what appears to be big fat harry carbide tooth. The advantage going to the Kolbalt model is it has a replaceable cutter. After not being able to find the Hyde plastic laminate cutter anywhere I guess I’ll check out one you have reviewed. Thanks for posting the review.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

Good to know. How much do they cost ?

NiteWalker

Darrell, I edited the review to include the model #.
Grizzly sells the same thing but with a wooden handle.
I actually forgot to check my kobalt, but I think the blade may be double sided like the grizzly version.

Dusty, it’s $3.47; well worth it.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

Cheap enough ! Thank you : )

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

Nothing new here. If you have done much laminate I’m surprised you didn’t have a scoring tool. Been around for at least 40 yrs that I can vouch for.

kerf waste in laminate is not a consideration by any stretch

Table saw is the way to go on cutting full sheets. Tere are a few measures to take when doing so.

JB

NiteWalker

JB, I used to cut my laminate on the table saw like you said; this was when I had a full size saw and not a jobsite saw. It’s just not safe to run a piece of laminate over such a small surface. Even with my full size saw, a full sheet was troublesome (small one-car garage shop).

And I agree about the kerf not being a big deal, but they do add up when you need a bunch of small pieces.