Odies oil for Instruments

Review by GibsonWoodworking posted 07-04-2013 09:39 PM 1710 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Odies oil for Instruments Odies oil for Instruments Odies oil for Instruments Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using odies oil now for a few months and I am sold on it. I actually have all of the odies products and they are all wonderful and worth trying. The interesting thing about odies is that all the different products and designed to work together, meaning you can basically customize the finish to get the result you want.
I have tried all the traditional instrument finishes, Nitro Lacquer, Tru Oil, Shellac, and Odies is by far the easiest to get a great finish with…. and you don’t have to worry about fumes. The other thing I like about it over lacquer and tru oil is it does not build a “plastic film” on the surface. if you want that dipped in finish look then odies is not for you. I like this finish because I can easily achieve a satin or even semi gloss sheen that does not hade the beauty of the wood. It also does not show fingerprints! we could go into the tonal qualities of the finish, but I will leave it to say that odies gives me a finish that keeps the instrument sounding as close to an unfinished instrument as I have found, which is what I am looking for.
The other nice thing about odies, it that if you have a question about the finish you can email them on their website and the owner will respond personally.
like a lot of other people have said, this finish goes a long way. I can say that after using it to finish 2 guitars, a tool box and various other small projects, I still have 3/4 of a jar of oil and I have barely scratched the surface of the butter and wax jars. I have tried finishes like waterlox which a lot of people like and I find at a similar price point of a 9oz jar of odies, it does not go nearly as far, is more difficult to apply, and has a severly shorter shelf life once opened. I just picked up a jar of the Oxi oil and I am going to try it on a Cuban Mahogany and Rosewood Ukulele I am currently working on.
If you have not given Odies Oil a try, I definitely suggest you do.

-- Gibsonwoodworking.com