This blade changed how I feel about my bandsaw.

Review by jeffwedekind posted 289 days ago 2228 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This blade changed how I feel about my bandsaw.  This blade changed how I feel about my bandsaw.  No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many of us woodworkers, I had a love hate relationship with my bandsaw.

I bought a Jet 14 inch saw many years ago and quickly installed a riser block on it. I made the huge mistake of using the blade that came with it , as well as assuming the index pins on the block were set properly. After struggling with this setup for many years, I did some research and concluded I needed to tune this beast up. I did the whole co-planar thing(including filing the pins on the block to make that happen), as well as new cool blocks, and the new blade. Just to know for sure, I re-installed the old factory blade. Much better with the tune up alone. Now to try the new blade…...

WOW. Why did I wait so long. I now love this saw, and it’s all due to this blade. I am now addicted to re-sawing and all the new possibilities it brings. This thing slices 3/4 inch hardwood or 8 inch firewood logs like butter with very little feed force. I knew I had been cheating myself by using cheap blades, but had no idea how much of a difference this premium blade would make. Granted, the surface of the filtches will certainly require some sanding,but my research assures me that that is pretty normal. The 1/2’’ blade will only allow radii of about 2 1/2 ’’, but I wanted a bit of heft, so I could try some re-sawing as well. I paid just under $30 bucks, which seems to be right in the ball park for a premium 105’’ blade

I am giving it only 4 of 5 stars, because I was a little disappointed in its directions on setting the saw up for the low tension that this blade requires. It could be a little more specific, and in this day and age it would be helpful if they put out a video of this technique. Besides that minor issue, I give this blade a rave review, and I will never go cheap on bandsaw blades again.

Man, lumber from the fire wood pile, what could be better.
Now to practice re-sawing and make some live edge shelves for the wife….HAPPY RE-SAWING

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View jeffwedekind's profile

jeffwedekind

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Nice review. Is it a carbide or carbon blade?

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

Hey Jeff,

Im just beggining trying to figure out how to do the coplanar thing too on my early 80’s Delta 14”. I read a couple of articles on the subject that both involve placing a shim/washer on one of the wheel hubs behind the wheel thus pushing the wheel out a fraction of an inch. I think mine needs more TLC than a shim. I too have a riser block and wondered if that isnt where my problem started. Now Im only theorizing here, but I suppose to find out if the wheels are truly coplaner with each other one would have to hold a straight edge (looking at the two wheels facing you) on the left side of the wheel hubs and again on the right side of the wheel hubs, which will require table top removal. Am I right thinking this? Where did you find your information reguarding adjusting the riser block, Id love to read that. Basically, Id like to hear how you tackled the job.

Scott

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

If this is the first time you changed the blade, no wonders it’s day & night. I’m of the opinion that we woodworkers often make the mistake of keeping one blade on their BS for months or years, and fighting all the problems that ensues. My guess: your improvement 10% setup tweaking 90% new sharp blade.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View jeffwedekind's profile

jeffwedekind

Surfside,
They call it Silicon Steel

I agree Douglas, lesson learned the hard way. I think the quality companies do a great disservice to their saws, and indeed the whole idea of bandsaws, by even including such garbage.

Scott,
Your on the right track. My block pushed the top wheel back probably 1/8 of an inch or more. I wondered for a long time how come my saw tracked so poorly before having this particular A’HA moment. I have never run across any literature showing any one else having this problem, so I winged it. Its been a long time, but I recall buying this block kit on a clearance rack(HMM wonder why?) I removed the block, then pulled the pins out and filed them down the requisite amount to get it right(think semi-circle here). If you need to do this, make sure that the wheels are co planar with a straight edge in both planes (up/down, as well as side/side), as its possible, if you remove or regrind the pins, to get the upper arm twisted a bit. Its not that hard. Trial and error rule the day here. As far as over removing material, it wouldn’t be a big deal, as you will just tighten the hell out of the bolt after tweaking it as needed. Mine has never moved in the past year or so since doing the job. Honestly, I don’t think the pins are needed excepting to help stabilize the upper arm till you get it tightened down.
Certainly, I am no bandsaw expert, and I’m sure many would disagree with messing with the indexing pins, but it sure worked for me. If I can help in any way let me know.

-- Jeff, eastern Wa

View David's profile

David

Nice work, I am looking for a 14” band saw myself, trying to decide which one to get has taken me 3 months. and still have not decided….Jet, Rikon, Delta, ect…

View eddie's profile

eddie

great review jeff ,—blades are a game changer

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

Before you try to set your wheels coplanar (and ruin your band saw) I suggest you watch this video.

-- "It is what you do with what you know that matters" - James Krenov

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Excellent video Jorge G.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

that was an excellent video… Makes me think twice about sticking a shim behind my top wheel.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

The band saw blade cut through the wood perfectly.